Options

SmugMug sloooow at times

2»

Comments

• Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    in case anyone is counting...... It either works fine, or I get these long pauses..... kind like water torture... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    We haven't actually installed any new hardware in awhile, nor should the moves we've done caused any slowness (you can see the result of that in the 'Photo Not Found' thread). Tonight will be the real user-impacting result of the move as we finish it off with stuff that must be shut down.

Unfortunately, there are many components between end users and our systems. Here are a few things we've got on the plate to tweak the knobs that should address some of the delays people have been seeing.

We're going to shift back some capacity from the upload to the web cluster. We had reassigned a few machines to help handle the extra-watermarking that resulted from our feature release. This has calmed down, so hopefully we can put them back today, certainly by end of Maintenance tonight.

I'm also not pleased with some of the traceroutes I've seen across the country recently. We are going to be changing some of our transit providers in the next few weeks, as well as optimize some of our peering to get us closer to everyone and remove laggy or unnecessary networks.

We're also going to be taking in more hardware over the next month to push our capacity capability far beyond the next Rafa event. New routers, load balancers, and a pile of servers. The network components are here, and will be installed very soon.

Again, sorry for any substandard performance. We're working to make things better. Back to the datacenter for me!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    Again, sorry for any substandard performance. We're working to make things better. Back to the datacenter for me!

Wireless, thanks so much for the explanation. I think you've got it figured out (the resources moved to the upload cluster probably caused what we are seeing).
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    DennisDennis Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Slowdown
    SLOW browsing from my DS3 connection at work this afternoon ...

Traceroute looks OK ...

Tracing route to smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 16 ms <10 ms <10 ms 10.11.200.254
    2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 67.32.105.214
    3 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 68.152.225.169
    4 <10 ms 16 ms <10 ms 207.203.159.81
    5 <10 ms 15 ms <10 ms 65.83.237.162
    6 <10 ms 15 ms <10 ms pxr00asm-2-0-0.bellsouth.net [65.83.236.2]
    7 16 ms 31 ms 31 ms 0.so-2-0-0.GW13.ATL5.ALTER.NET [157.130.71.169]
    8 16 ms 31 ms 31 ms 0.so-0-1-0.XL2.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.84.102]
    9 94 ms 110 ms 93 ms 0.so-3-0-0.XL2.SCL2.ALTER.NET [152.63.48.94]
    10 94 ms 109 ms 94 ms POS5-0.XR2.SJC7.ALTER.NET [152.63.52.142]
    11 94 ms 109 ms 109 ms POS7-0.GW2.SJC7.ALTER.NET [152.63.51.49]
    12 94 ms 109 ms 110 ms smugmug-gw2.customer.alter.net [157.130.201.38]
    13 94 ms 109 ms 110 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    Trace complete.
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Who watches the watchers?

Looks like our monitoring system decided to take a long jump off a cliff over the weekend and we were operating at a severely reduced load of servers this morning/afternoon (and perhaps Sunday evening, our busiest).

Everything should be stabilized by now, and we'll see if some extra web servers make things even better. Sorry about that. I doubt that had anything to do with stuff from last week, though.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    Who watches the watchers?

... in this case, I think we do. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    Everything should be stabilized by now

still bad here...

I hate to complain, but lately sm perfomance has really been disappointing me. I am a huge fan of sm and have turned numerous friends onto it, but they have practically bitched me out because they've paid for a service that now that are not happy with.

I think there should be less focus on new features and more focus on making sm snappy and fast. I know sm has grown tremendously and with that large traffic, etc.
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    It is so slow again today! What is going on? I tried showing some vacation pictures to a co-worker and we finally gave up! I click on a picture and wait and wait and wait.

I am really disappointed. I agree with dirtbikejunkie, forget the new features until you can make the viewing experience faster. Is it too much to expect that I should be able to click on a picture and view it with out waiting?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Just for the record, I was showing this gallery, and I just tested it again. I clicked on a picture and counted to 56 before it displayed. I clicked on another picture and counted to 63.
    http://www.yolanda.smugmug.com/gallery/230280/1/8935453

When that happens, you just give up.
  • Options
    chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    It is so slow again today! What is going on? I tried showing some vacation pictures to a co-worker and we finally gave up! I click on a picture and wait and wait and wait.

I am really disappointed. I agree with dirtbikejunkie, forget the new features until you can make the viewing experience faster. Is it too much to expect that I should be able to click on a picture and view it with out waiting?

I'm having the same problem. Extremely frustrating.
  • Options
    enigmaticenigmatic Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    chaberlack wrote:
    I'm having the same problem. Extremely frustrating.

I'm having the same problem... it has no problem getting to the site, navigating to categories... but doing anything inside of a gallery takes almost a minute to load the page.
  • Options
    videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Still Slow
    Very slow today here as well. I can understand how this could happen if a lot of new clients are joining up. Is there any official word on how SM is planning to deal with all of the extra trafic? As much as I love the service that SM is providing, I am not sure that my clients are going to want to hang around waiting for galleries to load up. Can we anticipate a resolution to the issues in the comming weeks?

Thanks
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    What is kinda odd is that my site is coming to me decently fast with occasional slow spots but many other smugmugger sites I visit are not only slow, but I click on a pic, it acts like it is loading at the bottom of the page in IE then it says done in the IE status bar and the new image, page, etc never changed and didn't load.

Here is a traceroute. How do you copy this, I tried highlighting but didn't work so I screen captured and cropped.

91540486-M.jpg
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Just for the record, I was showing this gallery, and I just tested it again. I clicked on a picture and counted to 56 before it displayed. I clicked on another picture and counted to 63.
    http://www.yolanda.smugmug.com/gallery/230280/1/8935453

When that happens, you just give up.

Laughing.gif ....NG

My wife was showing a co-worker some pics on my galleries and they had the same issues. So much so that they thought my wife's PC was bad or that they had lost their internet connection. At least 30 seconds to get to a new gallery and over a minute to load up a selected image.

The last 2 "SLOW Smugmug" threads I have posted to have been hard deleted. eek7.gif I hope this one hangs around a bit longer :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006

The last 2 "SLOW Smugmug" threads I have posted to have been hard deleted. eek7.gif

No threads have been deleted. See your other posting, I replied to that one, with a link to the thread you are looking for.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No threads have been deleted. See your other posting, I replied to that one, with a link to the thread you are looking for.

My bad rolleyes1.gif I must have missed those. Old eyes and a really old brain...lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    My site is DOG slowwww tooo. And my stats are all zero'd out.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    My site is DOG slowwww tooo. And my stats are all zero'd out.ne_nau.gif
    The stats are being worked on: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=41454
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Destination host unreachable....
    This is what I get when doing a tracert to smugmug from the University of Washington. And we've probably got the fastest connection to the net in the state.

C:\>tracert www.smugmug.com
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 Destination host unreachable.
    Trace complete.
    C:\>
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    tbrunswicktbrunswick Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    My site is also very slow...
    Hey all. I'm also a big SmugMug fan but have been a little frustrated with the recent slowness issues. My site has been almost unusable today. Any update on what's happening? In general, I've been extremely happy with SM and use the forum frequently to troubleshoot my questions. Thanks to all you out there. Tony www.tonybrunswick.com
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    SmugMug is unusable for me right now, as it was last night.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    SmugMug is unusable for me right now, as it was last night.
    Try again now, Ross?

EDIT: PS, sorry it was slow on your birthday! Happy Bday, btw :D
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    It's working fine for me now (even though you didn't ask me to try it again).

Thank you.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Try again now, Ross? PS, sorry it was slow on your birthday! Happy Bday, btw :D
    Yip, it's suddenly performing again - thanks. thumb.gif

Thanks also for the birthday greetings, but I wasn't trying to use SmugMug on my birthday. I'm busy trying to get loaded photos from a surprise birthday golfing trip to Australia over the weekend that my family sprung on me and joined me on! :D
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    It's working fine for me now (even though you didn't ask me to try it again).

Thank you.
    wave.gif Hi Yolanda, sorry I can't answer each post personally, if I could I would :D
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    I didn't expect a personal reply Andy. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just thought it odd that so many people had posted here about problems they were having, then you only seemed to respond to one person. Perhaps a generic post asking everybody to try it again would have seemed best.

But no matter...things are working now, and that's all I care about. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I didn't expect a personal reply Andy. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just thought it odd that so many people had posted here about problems they were having, then you only seemed to respond to one person. Perhaps a generic post asking everybody to try it again would have seemed best.

But no matter...things are working now, and that's all I care about. Thanks again.
    Hi Yolanda - I'll remember that next time - sorry :D It's been a hairy day!