Options

Scanning Negatives And Slides

ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited January 25, 2007 in Accessories
My wife and I have traveled a lot, and during these travels I have shot countless rolls of film. They are nice pictures, but they do me no good unless I can get them into the computer and try to sell them via SM hehehe :D So what is the best way to scan probably hundreds possibly 1000+ images, do I send it off somewhere, buy some scanner that will take hi-rez images, and if that route which one??? and what is the cost involved. TIA
-Michael
Just take the picture :):
Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    My wife and I have traveled a lot, and during these travels I have shot countless rolls of film. They are nice pictures, but they do me no good unless I can get them into the computer and try to sell them via SM hehehe :D So what is the best way to scan probably hundreds possibly 1000+ images, do I send it off somewhere, buy some scanner that will take hi-rez images, and if that route which one??? and what is the cost involved. TIA

6 months ago or so I bought a refurbished epson 4180 flatbed scanner with software and "adaptors" to scan 35mm negatives, medium format negatives, and slides. You can choose a variety of resolutions (the larger ones create really huge files) and it works pretty well. It set me back about $100.

Check out company websites, like apple.com or epson, for deals on refurbished goods. They are generally good quality (mine was basically brand new).
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    6 months ago or so I bought a refurbished epson 4180 flatbed scanner with software and "adaptors" to scan 35mm negatives, medium format negatives, and slides. You can choose a variety of resolutions (the larger ones create really huge files) and it works pretty well. It set me back about $100.

Check out company websites, like apple.com or epson, for deals on refurbished goods. They are generally good quality (mine was basically brand new).

Thank you Justiceiro, I will look into those, how big did the files get? I am hoping to be able to scan the images to be the equivelant of my D200 (10MP) Is that too much?
    -Michael

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    I purchase a KonicaMinolta Dimage Scan Dual IV in January for scanning 35mm and slides. At its highest resolution the result is approx 14 megapixel image. I love it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    cheap way
    if you know someone with the gear you can
    use a dslr with bellows and a slide copier attachment

...if you aren't shooting film anymore its probably not worth getting a scanner and would be better off taking it somewhere to get done in a drum scanner.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,873 moderator
    edited August 22, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I purchase a KonicaMinolta Dimage Scan Dual IV in January for scanning 35mm and slides. At its highest resolution the result is approx 14 megapixel image. I love it.

I also have the Dimage Scan Dual IV, but it doesn't have Digital ICE, so dust is a pretty serious problem. Even though the file sizes are pretty large, I would compare the usable/reliable image quality to that of a 6MP imager.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Slides and B&W film
    My mother gave me some 500/600 slides, a lot of negatives 6*6 cms and many 35mm films which belonged to my father.

I myself have a lot of this type of material also.

I need to scan all this stuff.

Can I have an advice on which scanner I should buy ?

Thank you.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 28, 2006
    Antonio,

The newer Epson flat bed scanners do a fair job of gang scanning slides, but they don't do quite as well on b&W negs. Plan on 10 or 15 minutes per scan for good quality scans. This is not a task to be completed in an afternoon.

Epson Perfection 4990 Pro, 4800x9600 dpi, Letter Size, Flatbed Scanner

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371657&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Search dgrin for scanning film or scanning negs and you should find other posts of mine about this subject

Also - go to www.hamrick.com for a copy of VueScan - This is the software I use to drive my scanners - flat bed and film. It is simple for those desiring basic scanning ability, but powerful for those desiring complete control of the scanning process.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Antonio,

The newer Epson flat bed scanners do a fair job of gang scanning slides, but they don't do quite as well on b&W negs. Plan on 10 or 15 minutes per scan for good quality scans. This is not a taqsk to be completed in an afternoon.

Epson Perfection 4990 Pro, 4800x9600 dpi, Letter Size, Flatbed Scanner

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371657&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Search dgrin for scanning film or scanning negs and you should find other posts of mine about this subject

Also - go to www.hamrick.com for a copy of VueScan - This is the software I use to drive my scanners - flat bed and film. It is simple for those desiring basic scanning ability, but powerful for those desiring complete control of the scanning process.

Thank you Pathfinder.

The scanner has no price on the link you gave me... eek7.gif

I would like to get something realiabel and only to scan film and slides.
    I do not care about scanning A4 sheets.:):

I was thinking of something like teh Nikon CoolScan IV ED Film & Slide Scanner :
    ZSLIDE.JPG
    but I'm afraid it's too expensive.

Because actually it's only to scan some 1000 pics ...
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Antonio,

I own and use a Nikon CoolScan IV ED, and it works fine. It has been replaced by the newer V ED I believe.

I strongly prefer film scanners, over flat bed scanners, but film scanners for medium format get VERY expensive very quick, so most folks unless they are high grade pros, use flat bed scanners for film bigger than 35mm. You mentioned medium format negatives - that si why I suggested the flat bed scanner.

The CoolScan IV ED will do a very nice job for 35mm. I prefer to use VueScan for the software with the CoolScan IV ED as I said earlier.

The film scanners like the CoolScan and the current Epson flat bed scanners are similar in price. ~$500 USD give or take. The Minolta DiMage II is an excellent film scanner also.

You may be able to find these used, but make sure you have all the needed software for them, as without the software they are not much use.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Antonio,

I own and use a Nikon CoolScan IV ED, and it works fine. It has been replaced by the newer V ED I believe.

I strongly prefer film scanners, over flat bed scanners, but film scanners for medium format get VERY expensive very quick, so most folks, unless they are high grade pros, use flat bed scanners for film bigger than 35mm. You mentioned medium format negatives - that is why I suggested the flat bed scanner.

The CoolScan IV ED will do a very nice job for 35mm. I prefer to use VueScan for the software with the CoolScan IV ED as I said earlier.

The film scanners like the CoolScan and the current Epson flat bed scanners are similar in price. ~$500 USD give or take. The Minolta DiMage II is an excellent film scanner also.

You may be able to find these used, but make sure you have all the needed software for them, as without the software they are not much use.

Thank you Pathfinder. :):
    It was most kind of you to give me (us) this information.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Thank you Pathfinder. :):
    It was most kind of you to give me (us) this information.

thumb.gif

Thanks to all that have posted suggestions. Guess the Nikon is a good choice. Use it for a bit and then sell it, kinda like a rental rolleyes1.gif
    Guess it's time to go shopping mwink.gif
    -Michael

• Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Today I called the usual shop and the prices are:
    0,65 € / slide;
    Nikon V ED about 850 € - 1.000 € if with the bulk charger.

Expensive yes. Here I will not be able to sell it easilly.

1,00 * 0,65€ = 650 €
    I roll of 35 mm film with strips of 5 each costs about 0,50 €
    And film black and white I do have many, many, many...
    Plus old 6*6 cms from the Rollei which should be about, say 250 (?) etc.

The 850€ is not that much.

Of course there is all the work one has to do...

I'll get this equipment sooner or later. thumb.gif

Thank you for all the tips, you all gave me. They were very usefull. :):
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    The Nikon CoolScan V ED is for 35mm and smaller sized only.

For 6x6 you will want a flat bed scanner I think Antonio.

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Thank you Justiceiro, I will look into those, how big did the files get? I am hoping to be able to scan the images to be the equivelant of my D200 (10MP) Is that too much?
    The Epson 4180 is capable of scanning images at much higer resolution than the Canon 20d. I can't remeber exactly, but I think it goes up to 9600 dpi (as opposed to 1800dpi for the 20D.) Id on't do those sorts of conversions, because the files are so big they crash my computer, wich is an ancient Vaio. If I had a mac, I could do it.

Here are some examples of negs (old negatives not properly cared for) scanned at one of the lowest resolution settings:

75763895-L.jpg

Here is one scanned from a 120 Medium Format NEgative. Again, this is cropped, and at a veryl low setting (I think 200 dpi).

57824973-O-5.jpg

So you shouldn't be worried about the quality. It's good. And for $100, how can you go wrong?

Antonio- don't spend $1000 on a flatbed scanner. Fly to new york and you'll probably sav the plane cost in the price difference. Like I said, a refurbished epson is $100
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Justiceiro,
    Thank you so much for the advise. clap.gif
    I don't think I'll fly to NY and get one scanner but I am going to ask the price here in Portugal.
    I'll let you know for curiosity... :):

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Justiceiro,

I suggested the Epson flat bed scanners to Antonio. Refurbed is fine if the software is all there.

Flat bed scanners do a nice job, and approach what a good film scanner can do now for color slides.

Have you tried scanning B&W negatives on this flat bed scanner? B&W negative scanning is a different kettle of fish than color slides.

I am very interested in how the flat bed scanners from Epson do on B&W negatives. Do they allow you to use Digital Ice to remove dust and scratches? Are they sharp? Do they accentuate the grain of the B&W negative?

• Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    The prices in this country are:

Epson 4180 = 226,05 €
    Epson 4490 = 247,11 €

I think I can get the 4180 for 200 € :):

I would like to read the answser to the question of Pathfinder before buying anything, as I do have many kilometers of B&W film. clap.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    I have been shopping the 4180 versus the newer 4490 myself Antonio.

Nightingale used an Epson 1600 flat bed for some time and we replaced it a year ago with a Epson Perfection 3200 Photo flat bed scanner and it works very nicely. The 4180 should do a very nice job, and seems affordable at 200 Euros.

I'll see if I can give it a spin tonight on a Tri-X neg and see what develops:):

• Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have been shopping the 4180 versus the newer 4490 myself Antonio...I'll see if I can give it a spin tonight on a Tri-X neg and see what develops:):

clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Great info, guys thanks. Kind of meshes with my MF thread.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    The prices in this country are:

Epson 4180 = 226,05 €
    Epson 4490 = 247,11 €

I think I can get the 4180 for 200 € :):

I would like to read the answser to the question of Pathfinder before buying anything, as I do have many kilometers of B&W film. clap.gif

thumb.gif

The 4180 is discontinued. thumb.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    The 4180 is discontinued. thumb.gif

Yeah, but the Epson site still lists refurbs for sale at $99. Could be US-only, I am not sure.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Yeah, but the Epson site still lists refurbs for sale at $99. Could be US-only, I am not sure.

Not in this country.
    I am sorry. It would be a good business.
    Thank you thumb.gif
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    There are some espon 4490 or 4870 on ebay at good prices (generally around 200 euros).

I won't buy real know – no money... – but I hope I find theses prices in a few weeks :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    There are some espon 4490 or 4870 on ebay at good prices (generally around 200 euros).

I won't buy real know – no money... – but I hope I find theses prices in a few weeks :)

Merci Antoine.

Je vous souhaite un agréable week end.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    BudcubBudcub Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2006
    I have the Nikon Coolscan IV ED and am not too happy with it. It is ok for scanning negatives, but not for slides. I was getting huge file sizes when saving as .tiff files, and the dynamic range just wasn't there.

They have a Coolscan V ED out now that's supposed to be better, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the purchase, for myself that is. I'm considering some sort of attachment that will let me use my DSLR and macro lens.

Brendan
    http://budcub.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    Thank you for the important tip Brendan.
    :):thumb.gif
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    only buy a scanner
    if you are going to keep on shooting slide film-if not it doesen't really seem worth-while in buying one
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2006
    Thank you Greg.
    I will not shoot slides.
    I will shoot only digital till the end of my days. (how dramatic :):)
    I have dicided that I will buy the Epson 4490 = 247,11 € in Portugal, one of these days.
    What I don't like is the work it gives to scan 501 slides ... :):
    As I sometimes say: I'll ask a slave to do it.
    What do I mean by that ?
    I mean I'll pay by the hour someone to do it, at very low price.
    :):
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    JettyJJettyJ Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Looking at the 4990
    Hi all,

Like many people out there I'm sure, I recently came into possession of several hundred of my grandfather's old 35 slides. I've been debating about having them scanned professionally or doing them myself. I'm leaning towards getting the epson 4990 review as it seems to be the best fit between a dedicated film scanner (too expensive for me) and a flatbed (which I need also for old prints). What I like is it can scan up to 8 slides at a time.

My plan is to just get them all scanned in at a medium/hi resolution so that I can...

A) know that there is an archive of all this stuff somewhere
    B) get all the images into the computer so I can start sorting, ranking and keywording them (in aperture)

After that, I can revisit the best shots and look into getting them rescanned in a pro shop or something.

If it's helpful, I'll post my progress as I move along.