Options

new printer - i'm hooked

2»

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    Thanks Path for taking the time to put up that great explaination of the priniting process. I tried printing with the output print space set to sRGB earlier today and the prints looked much better. Still a very slight magenta cast, but much more subtle. I am going to have to dig out the manuals and do some more homework, but you have gotten me headed in the right direction. Thanks again for your help.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Problem solved?
    I believe that I have found at least part of the problem. Every time I shut down Photoshop and then start it again, it resets settings for the printer and changes back to my default printer. When I pick the i9900 as my printer the printer driver has defaulted back to "plain paper" which is the default. You can save the printer settings as a profile, but it still reverts back to the default every time PS is started. Is that stupid or what? Basically, every time I print I must choose the printer and then choose the paper type for each session. Thankfully, it does remember the settings for additional prints as long as one doesn't shut down PS. Is there anyway to have a printer be assigned as the default for specific applications (ie Photoshop)? I keep my "cheap" printer as the default for printing out various text stuff and web reciepts so it gets alot more use.

NEWFLASH:
    ***I discovered that if I go into control panel and choose "printer properties" under the i900 and change the printer option to "Pro Paper" that this setting will persist despite closing and opening Photoshop ***** Maybe this will save someone from going through the same things I did.

I'm still not sure which "Print Space" profile to use in the photoshop preview tho.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Use whichever profile most matches your printers output! I've got an Apple 22" LCD at work and a 20" at home and their color is furkin close to dead on with my Epson 1270 large format. The only colors I have trouble with are dark blues that like moving magenta a little bit. I generally adjust the colors in my print box just a touch to remove some magenta. Also colors shift based on the type of paper you use. For $75-100 a piece or so I'm told that I can get custom profiles made for my printer, a specific paper output, and my monitor to get them all in the same space. If precision is a really big deal for you, getting a custom profile may well be worth the money. Each different paper type requires a different profile to be as exact as possible.

Cheers.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 28, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I believe that I have found at least part of the problem. Every time I shut down Photoshop and then start it again, it resets settings for the printer and changes back to my default printer. When I pick the i9900 as my printer the printer driver has defaulted back to "plain paper" which is the default. You can save the printer settings as a profile, but it still reverts back to the default every time PS is started. Is that stupid or what? Basically, every time I print I must choose the printer and then choose the paper type for each session. Thankfully, it does remember the settings for additional prints as long as one doesn't shut down PS. Is there anyway to have a printer be assigned as the default for specific applications (ie Photoshop)? I keep my "cheap" printer as the default for printing out various text stuff and web reciepts so it gets alot more use.

NEWFLASH:
    ***I discovered that if I go into control panel and choose "printer properties" under the i900 and change the printer option to "Pro Paper" that this setting will persist despite closing and opening Photoshop ***** Maybe this will save someone from going through the same things I did.

I'm still not sure which "Print Space" profile to use in the photoshop preview tho.

Me Too!!! I think what you are saying is what I have been doing each time I print also - I have not saved a default paper setting because I use several different papers - thus each time I start a new print session I must instruct Photoshop and the printer driver what paper type and profile to use each and every time. And the default for the printer driver seems to be plain inkjet paper - not my first guess for an Epson 4000! I think once again we have each been discussing a different end of the same elephant!!!
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Kodak has some new pro inkjet papers, here. They come in either matte (lustre) or glossy. They feel just like RA-4 paper and absorb the ink/dye slightly deeper to prevent bronzing. Their test prints look really good. wxwax and I both picked up a free pack (5) 8.5x11 sheets. He was going to give me his, but if you want it PM him and see if he can drop it in the mail, or maybe a Kodak rep can get you some. This paper holds a lot of promise for making great prints with a traditional print feel and look, time to do some tests.

Well I finally tried their paper. I downloaded their 2200 profile. The color looks spot on, especially for skin tones. They fixed the bronzing problem with the whites, but now I see a similar effect in the blacks, so this paper is of no use to me. Hopefully they can fix it, they are so close.
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    This thread has been quiet for a while and I need to make a decision. The question I have for those of you who have an i9900 - How much ink are you using.

I am somewhat concerned with the cost of operation and wonder if the i9900 is substantially more than an Epson 2200?

Hutch
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    This thread has been quiet for a while and I need to make a decision. The question I have for those of you who have an i9900 - How much ink are you using.

I am somewhat concerned with the cost of operation and wonder if the i9900 is substantially more than an Epson 2200?

Hutch

i can't tell you vs. the 2200, but i've ordered ink once in the past month. that's after printing maybe 25 13x19 prints. and i only have changed 2 inks - photo cyan and photo magenta.
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    Still like it? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    Simon D.Simon D. Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2006
    This is a response to a lot of the posts.

I have recently purchased the Canon i9900 (about a month now) and love it. I did do a lot of research into canon vs epson printers and it seemed like a lot of people were running into more problems with the epson printers.

The one thing about the epson that I did like was the pigment based ink they use which is supposed to last longer.
    But there are some papers out there that claim to have specail protection when they dry to have the picture last a very long time (up to 100 years). National Geographic has some photo paper that claims to do this, which regardless of how long the prints last I have gotten great results.

Which all in all about the lifespan of any print no one really knows for sure how long anything will really last, there are a lot of variables. One thing to remember though is in todays digital age the photo's are stored on computers which will last a long time so if prints do fade just print out another.

As for how much ink the canon i9900 uses it is hard to say as I got mine off of ebay with some of the tanks low. So when I printed out over 60 5x7's I did have to replace the photo magenta, and poto cyan
    It would be nice for any printer to have larger ink tanks but thats how the companies make their money is by selling ink.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Photo ink is the 8th most expensive substance in the world! FACT!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com