Options

looking for a CPL for EF-S 10-22

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited September 21, 2006 in Accessories
Anyone have a recomendation for a good circular polarizing filter in the 77mm size that doesn't vingete a wide angle? (and hopefully doesn't cost half as much as the lens!)
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    Cabbey,
    cabbey wrote:
    Anyone have a recomendation for a good circular polarizing filter in the 77mm size that doesn't vingete a wide angle? (and hopefully doesn't cost half as much as the lens!)

It's not the bad filter, it's the laws of physics. ne_nau.gif

Polarizing effect depends on and changes with the angle. With the super wide lenses, such as 10-22 you WILL get "inverse vignetting" (corners lighter than the center) no matter what CPL you use, brand or price.
    It's just the nature of the things. deal.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Polarizing effect depends on and changes with the angle. With the super wide lenses, such as 10-22 you WILL get "inverse vignetting" (corners lighter than the center) no matter what CPL you use, brand or price.
    It's just the nature of the things.

Yeah, that part I'm "ok" with... it's the ones that stick out so far they are visible in the corners that I'm talking about. Like the one I picked up at our local camera store and have already returned. (next time I *will* take my camera and lens along and try it right there in the store.)

It looks like B+W has a "slim" line of filters to deal with this case... anyone tried them?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    B+W, here
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=133010&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Hoya, B+W, others, here:
    http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoyapolarizers02.html

2filter.com is a great source, I buy from them a lot.

Wherever you buy from, get the SUPER SLIM with NO front threads. Best for avoiding vigging.
  • Options
    Andy wrote:

yeah, since I have a shopping cart already open with B+H for a Crumpler bag, I was thinking of sticking with them for the filter... currently debating if the extra $55 to go from glass to multi coated glass is worth it.

$110 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=133012&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

vs

$165 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=133003&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

it probably is.....
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    On the advice of a salesman at B&H, I bought the standard thickness B&W 77mm CP filter. Until recently, I would have told you that I get absolutely no vignetting with the standard. However, I recently took a whole bunch of 10mm shots in Utah, and much to my surprise, have noticed some vignetting. Here's an example, unretouched with regard to the vig.

IMG_8689.jpg

Can you see it? It's visible in the lower right-hand corner, and is easily correctable in PS. I didn't bother fixing it in this shot because I think most folks wouldn't notice. And again, in most shots I see absolutely no vig.

I think for the ease of handling, plus the ability to use the standard lens cap with this filter, I'd still make the same choice and get the standard thickness CP.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    kdog wrote:
    On the advice of a salesman at B&H, I bought the standard thickness B&W 77mm CP filter. Until recently, I would have told you that I get absolutely no vignetting with the standard. However, I recently took a whole bunch of 10mm shots in Utah, and much to my surprise, have noticed some vignetting. Here's an example, unretouched with regard to the vig.

Can you see it? It's visible in the lower right-hand corner, and is easily correctable in PS. I didn't bother fixing it in this shot because I think most folks wouldn't notice. And again, in most shots I see absolutely no vig.

I think for the ease of handling, plus the ability to use a lens cap with this filter, I'd still make the same choice and get the standard thickness CP.

And the upper right too. Those are considerably less than what I got with the local one. (I didn't keep the test image, or I would post it, but figure about 15x the size of that on all four corners.) I've never minded pop-over lens caps really... so I'm not too worried about that aspect. Especially since I don't shoot with a CPL all the time.

Beautifull shot btw. It's shots very much like yours, and Nikolai's from the shoot out that I'll be looking to capture on an upcomming trip to just over the mountain from you in Fort Mohave. (well, actually I expect to be shooting up in Utah, and at the grand canyon more than in town, but that's where we'll be staying with my folks :)
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    Try going to a local shop that holds the filters (hopefully they have the super slim ones that 2filter sells) and ask them to try them out. I did that when I was shopping for my IR filter and ND filters. One camera shop here (Caseys Camera) were more than willing to let me try out their filters and step-up adapters. In the end I found what I wanted but ordered from 2filter because their prices were a little better. If you can do that, then you should! It may save you buyer's remorse.

wings.gifivar (these icons mean nothing to my msg, theyre just cool to look at and they entertain me)
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Yep, upper right too now that you mention it. Wow, you have a keen eye.

Thanks for the kind words about the shot. I've processed about half the pictures from my trip across country (we just moved here from NY), and put them up on a website if you want to check them out. Most of the shots are wide-angle with the CPL. You can see the EXIFs when viewing a picture by clicking on the i. http://www.jacara.com/cpg144/thumbnails.php?album=17

So your parents are in Fort Mohave? That's just an hour from here over the mountain, as you say, and a very nice mountain at that. Utah is awesome, man. Spend a much time there as you can.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2006
    kdog wrote:
    Yep, upper right too now that you mention it. Wow, you have a keen eye.
    Once you know it's there... it just screams at you. Like the stuck green pixel on my laptop at work... or the 5 pixels on my 20D that are always full on (a couple red, a couple red and green at the same location... I really need to write a script to drop them out and fill with surrounding colors.) Image 8684 in your Utah gallery has the same. Just seeing it in those I think ends my decision making... I'll be going with the slim filter. And given that I'll probably fumble with it at least a few times puting the cap on and off, or the hood... I'll go with the coated lens.
    Thanks for the kind words about the shot. I've processed about half the pictures from my trip across country (we just moved here from NY), and put them up on a website if you want to check them out. Most of the shots are wide-angle with the CPL. You can see the EXIFs when viewing a picture by clicking on the i. http://www.jacara.com/cpg144/thumbnails.php?album=17

So your parents are in Fort Mohave? That's just an hour from here over the mountain, as you say, and a very nice mountain at that. Utah is awesome, man. Spend a much time there as you can.

Yeah, looking forward to it. I'll wave at the mountain and call out "Howdy Joel"... while I already know it'll echo nice from my folks place, I doubt it will make it all the way. :)
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Once you know it's there... it just screams at you. Like the stuck green pixel on my laptop at work... or the 5 pixels on my 20D that are always full on (a couple red, a couple red and green at the same location... I really need to write a script to drop them out and fill with surrounding colors.) Image 8684 in your Utah gallery has the same. Just seeing it in those I think ends my decision making... I'll be going with the slim filter. And given that I'll probably fumble with it at least a few times puting the cap on and off, or the hood... I'll go with the coated lens.

Yeah, looking forward to it. I'll wave at the mountain and call out "Howdy Joel"... while I already know it'll echo nice from my folks place, I doubt it will make it all the way. :)

I was in a similar situation with my Sigma 10-20 on my 20D/30D - I got the slim Nikon filter - works perfectly with no vignetting.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Try going to a local shop that holds the filters (hopefully they have the super slim ones that 2filter sells) and ask them to try them out. I did that when I was shopping for my IR filter and ND filters. One camera shop here (Caseys Camera) were more than willing to let me try out their filters and step-up adapters. In the end I found what I wanted but ordered from 2filter because their prices were a little better. If you can do that, then you should! It may save you buyer's remorse.

wings.gifivar (these icons mean nothing to my msg, theyre just cool to look at and they entertain me)
    I might get slapped around for doing this, but...

I have to wonder how you expect to continue to get this kind of service from a local store if you abuse them this way. They provided you with easy access to the product, helped you save lots of $$ by allowing you to decide between competing products, and then you walk out and purchase from an on-line store because their prices "were a little better."

Just something to think about.
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    Agree with Scott - if you use the local store to help, you should buy from them. I usually buy on-line becasue I know what I want, but when it came to a tripod, I had to try them out so I bit the bullet and paid the shop price. I did ask for and receive a discount from retail which most stores can easily do and still make a good profit.

I have the same problem with my Tokina 12-24 and standard CP. After much searching and amazement at the retail prices of top-of-the-line slim CPLs from Hoya, B+H, Singh Ray etc., I decided to take a chance and order a Kenko brand (i like their TC) from Hong Kong thru eBay. Kenko, Tokina and Hoya are owned by THK.
    Total cost was $70. Should have it next week. Here are the specs:
    Kenko 77mm Pro1 Digital WIDE BAND Circular Polarizer Filter DMC
    • Ultra thin 1mm glass (same class as Nikon CPL II and Hoya Pro 1 series)
    • With front thread
    • Multi Coated on all sides of glass (same as Nikon CPL II)
    • Ultra high Optical Performance
    • Specifically optimised for digital application
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    I might get slapped around for doing this, but...

I have to wonder how you expect to continue to get this kind of service from a local store if you abuse them this way. They provided you with easy access to the product, helped you save lots of $$ by allowing you to decide between competing products, and then you walk out and purchase from an on-line store because their prices "were a little better."

Just something to think about.

Not at all. I thought the same thing. If I need to walk into a local B&M store for help, I'll buy from them when I can. It's not all about bottom dollar price--service & accessibility count for something.

On the flip side, for filters I pretty much know what I need, so I go to maxsaver.net.