Options

Canon 20D CSpro Plugin from FM

spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited December 10, 2004 in Cameras
What do y'all think about this? With the 20D I don't think I'm in need of neat image anymore, so I stumbled across this. Worth the $$$$ ???
http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/20DCSpro

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    I have a few of the plugins from Fred Miranda, and they are great. I don't have the 20d plugin, but all I have bought work as advertised. I use them all the time.

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    just bought it - will give it a try and report back.

andy
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Sounds interesting...

I'm not all that impressed with the sample images, though. They compare a RAW file (no sharpening) with an "unsharp mask" version, but no info on settings for the USM. It's oversharp...guessing 100% w/ 2.5 pixel radius. feh.

what's the scoopage, andy? worth 25 clams?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    mkaplanmkaplan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2004
    I have always liked Freds sharpening actions. I have the 10D version and the moment I saw the 20D version available, I purchased the upgrade. It is much better than the 10D was as far as available options but does a great job of sharpening and now a bit of noise reduction as well. I haven't had a chance to play with it much but Freds stuff has always been good.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Fred Miranda's CSpro 20D plug-in
    I've used the CSpro 10D plug-in for about 8 months, with great luck (on both PS Elements 2.0 and PS CS). I also upgraded to the "new" 10D plug-in 2-3 months ago, when it first came out. Now that I have a 20D, I will definitely get the 20D plug-in.

Not only does the CSpro plug-in work better than Unsharp Mask in lots of situations, but probably its biggest selling point is its ease of use. It offers enough "customization" options to provide a lot of flexibility, but isn't as inscruitable as Unsharp Mask. (that is, the learning curve is nowhere near as steep)

Once you buy the initial plug-in, Fred Miranda is quite good about offering upgrade discounts to current customers. I think I got the 10D plug-in upgrade for under $12 and he's offering the 20D plug-in to owners of the 10D plug-in at a good discount (25%?) for the first 2-3 weeks.

In my book, it's a "no-brainer" great value.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Thanks all for the replies. I found I needed the neat image for my "old" A75. But now with the 20D and lack of noise except at ISO 3200, I didn't think it was worth while anymore.

Andy: Thanks for the mini-review......appreciated thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    I found I needed the neat image for my "old" A75. But now with the 20D and lack of noise except at ISO 3200, I didn't think it was worth while anymore.
    I'm not sure what "neat" means.

If you're referring to "sharpness" -- Virtually all images from digital cameras require some sharpening before printing. This is especially true for images from dSLRs that normally have in-camera sharpening cranked down, compared to Point & Shoot digicams. The more "pro" the dSLR, the lower the default in-camera sharpening setting is. For example [thanks, Fish, for the info!] n the Canon line, the default in-camera sharpening moves progressively lower as one moves from Digital Rebel to 10D/20D to 1D/1Ds.

Sharpening on your Mac/PC is more effective (and certainly can be wielded with much finer control) than in the camera. If sharpness is important, the way to get the sharpest possible photo (assuming a JPG file) is to turn in-camera sharpening completely off (or at least, to its lowest setting) and perform sharpening wth your favorite image-editing program.

The CSpro plug-in discussed in this thread can make that chore easier (and as Andy attests, often better) than Photoshop's more general-purpose Unsharp Mask sharpening tool).

= bug.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    mkaplanmkaplan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2004
    photobug wrote:
    I'm not sure what "neat" means.
    Neat Image is a program to reduce the noise in an image (like Noise Ninja).
    He was stating that the 20D has less noise so there was less reason to use a noise reducing program.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2004
    mkaplan wrote:
    Neat Image is a program to reduce the noise in an image (like Noise Ninja).
    He was stating that the 20D has less noise so there was less reason to use a noise reducing program.
    Ahhhhhh ... I see. I hadn't heard of "Neat Image" and since he didn't capitalize it, there was no clue for me that it was a proper noun instead just an English description.

It's understandable that noise reduction is less of an issue with the 20D. (But sharpening is still needed for any digicam, and that's the CSpro plug-in's primary raison d'être)

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Neat Image...WOW!!! I downloaded the plug-in for mac this morning and profiles for the 20D. WOW!!! I've already tested it on several 800-1600 ISO noisy unsharp images, and WOW!!!

I'm using it on Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Did I say "WOW" yet?

www.neatimage.com

A quick sample of what Neat Image can do is in this thread.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson