Options

Copyright Release forms

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited October 17, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I tried searching for this in the archives, but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have examples of generic copyright release forms for when you wish to authorize a customer to reproduce your images?

Thanks
Brett
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
  • Options
    Andy,

Thanks so much. I appreciate the information, however it does not appear that these address the specific form I'm looking for. I am looking for a generic release form that I can sign to give the model permission to have images that I've taken reproduced. In other words, I'm giving her some images on a disc and in order for her to have them printed, the photo store will require a signed copyright release from me. I'm having trouble locating that form. I have model release forms which is what the links you sent seem to address.

Brett
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    I don't think there is a generic release. You as the copyright holder can write whatever you want. Make your own release, put contact info on it so if a lab has questions about it, they can reach you and get it squared away. You are the authority. Easy breezy :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    I don't think there is a generic release. You as the copyright holder can write whatever you want. Make your own release, put contact info on it so if a lab has questions about it, they can reach you and get it squared away. You are the authority. Easy breezy :-)

Thanks Shay!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif With Shay....I usually just write a quick letter that I am giving use of image to person for wahtever reason for lenght of time for so many prints at such & such size, then I sign it with phone and email, date it and have it notorized just to give it that really "LEGAL" look.
    so far all the processors have called to double check even with the notory stamp.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    Does this require knowledge of Latin? :ivar
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    or, you could just have your clients order through smugmug rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Actually my last one was for a local spiritual counselor - Reiki Master.
    It stated that I ( full name) was giving full and complete rights to use digital files (name and number of files) contained on CD for a period of 1 year, including the rights to change the layered tiff files to meet her future requirements, so long as my contact info (copyright with email addy) stayed intact on the finished product.

Signed____________________ this day of month of year.

Notary_________________________________________

took to a local grocery store and had it notorized....

This is not the exact language i used...but what I used was very plain american english....not law english.....

I am sure if there is a law school near you, that you could get a student to draft you a really legal ezed one for almost nothing, especially if they are into the contract writing section for the term.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    If I am giving a disc to someone I make sure a copyright notice is on the label and a reference to a read-me file on the disc (.txt & .doc and sometimes a pdf). Here's an example of the file:

Read Me

Copyright

All images are copyright ©2006 Allen W. Miller. All rights reserved.

Unrestricted publication rights are granted to ____________ as long as the following conditions are met:

Any publication or reproduction of these images must include the photographers name and a copyright symbol.
    (Put contact info here.)

This file can be changed to "No Publication or Reproduction Allowed" or any conditions or permissions you as the photographer want to allow. This is legal and binding. Print a paper copy if needed. Another alternative is to include a scan of a paper document that has your signature on it.
    While you own the copyright, if you register the image with the copyright office it is a lot easier to go after someone who might be using your image(s) illegally. (You can register many images for cost of one registration fee.)

But... this is not legal advice!
    Hope this is helpful.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Alkhemist wrote:
    If I am giving a disc to someone I make sure a copyright notice is on the label and a reference to a read-me file on the disc (.txt & .doc and sometimes a pdf). Here's an example of the file:

Read Me

Copyright

Unrestricted publication rights are granted to ____________ as long as the following conditions are met:

Any publication or reproduction of these images must include the photographers name and a copyright symbol.
    (Put contact info here.)

This file can be changed to "No Publication or Reproduction Allowed" or any conditions or permissions you as the photographer want to allow. This is legal and binding. Print a paper copy if needed. Another alternative is to include a scan of a paper document that has your signature on it.
    While you own the copyright, if you register the image with the copyright office it is a lot easier to go after someone who might be using your image(s) illegally. (You can register many images for cost of one registration fee.)

Hope this is helpful.

What a great suggestion. Thank you.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Be careful of the word "Unrestricted" or similar - that means you're giving them a license to do whatever they want... perhaps including selling the image to the people/companies who would have otherwise been your customers. When licensing (and that's the word you probably want to use) your image to someone you should be as specific as possible as to what you're granting them the rights to do with it.

non-related but illustrative story: Many years ago I worked for a defense contracting company with very tight security. Those of us who ran the computer systems had a need to move media and equipment ("computers, tapes, disks") between buildings, so we had a pass that said we could do so. Every year they had to be renewed, and I took care of that. One year I happened to add "etc." to the list of items we could move, so now it read "computers, tapes, disks, etc." The guys at the security desk looked at my pass, now with "etc." on it, and told me that effectively it meant I could move the VP's desk if I wanted - it literally meant anything. That's certainly not what management wanted, but that's what they signed off. mwink.gif Be careful what you're signing away.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Read Me

Copyright

(Put contact info here.)

Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful i edited it a little wee bit though!!

Permission is granted to ______for personal use and reproduction only.

### Will remain owner of all copyright and grants permission only for reproduction for personal use. Any sale of any image in connection with this agreement is strickly prohibited. Any publication or exhibition is also prohibited without mutual consent of the parties involved in this agreement.

Any publication or reproduction, as mutually agreed, of these images must include the photographers name and copyright symbol as shown below

©###

That covers me from them selling or displaying them on a website without giving me my props, grants them permission to print them for their personal use.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    cdonovan wrote:
    Very helpful i edited it a little wee bit though!!

Permission is granted to ______for personal use and reproduction only.

### Will remain owner of all copyright and grants permission only for reproduction for personal use. Any sale of any image in connection with this agreement is strickly prohibited. Any publication or exhibition is also prohibited without mutual consent of the parties involved in this agreement.

Any publication or reproduction, as mutually agreed, of these images must include the photographers name and copyright symbol as shown below

©###

That covers me from them selling or displaying them on a website without giving me my props, grants them permission to print them for their personal use.
    It also prevents you from doing the same thing unless you have an agreement, in writing, somewhere else that allows you to publish the photograph(s).
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    It also prevents you from doing the same thing unless you have an agreement, in writing, somewhere else that allows you to publish the photograph(s).

oh deareek7.gif :bash