Options

Help a newb (your good deed 4 the day)

rossbillyrossbilly Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 10, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I honestly tried to search several forums here, but have been unable to see images / links in posts. For example, the thread below seems as though it should have images from several members yet I see nothing:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=13400

please help!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    rossbilly wrote:
    I honestly tried to search several forums here, but have been unable to see images / links in posts. For example, the thread below seems as though it should have images from several members yet I see nothing:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=13400

please help!

That's strange. Can you tell us what browser and operating system you are using? Is it only on Dgrin that you can't see images?
  • Options
    rossbillyrossbilly Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Well, I am using Firefox at the moment, but just now tried it with Netscape & saw the images... huh. Now that's strange.

Sorry - running Win XP...

(How ironic that a man in Madrid answers... I spent 2 1/2 years in Spain - Base Area, Zaragoza) Beautiful country!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    rossbilly wrote:
    Well, I am using Firefox at the moment, but just now tried it with Netscape & saw the images... huh. Now that's strange.

Sorry - running Win XP...

(How ironic that a man in Madrid answers... I spent 2 1/2 years in Spain - Base Area, Zaragoza) Beautiful country!

Can you see images on other sites in Firefox. If not, go to Tools->Options, click on the Content tab and make sure that Load Images Automatically is checked. If it is only Dgrin that's not working for you, then I don't have a clue, but somebody else will probably jump in with an answer.

Oh, and welcome to Dgrin. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I, too, sometimes have problems seeing images on vBulletin websites while using Firefox.

To my knowledge, no-one's ever attempted to explain it or solve it.

That being said, I do see the piccies in the thread to which you linked.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    You probably have some sort of blocking set up in your preferences? Ad blocking, mebbe? Snoop around, see what you come up with.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I, too, sometimes have problems seeing images on vBulletin websites while using Firefox.

To my knowledge, no-one's ever attempted to explain it or solve it.

That being said, I do see the piccies in the thread to which you linked.

Hmmm...now that you mention it, I have had this problem in Firefox once in a while too. My impression is that if for any reason the image doesn't load on the first try, under some circumstances that somehow gets cached and reloading does not help. Clearing the browser cache and restarting Firefox always cleared it up though.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hmmm...now that you mention it, I have had this problem in Firefox once in a while too. My impression is that if for any reason the image doesn't load on the first try, under some circumstances that somehow gets cached and reloading does not help. Clearing the browser cache and restarting Firefox always cleared it up though.
    Sometimes, if I cut-and-paste the link into a new browser window, I'll see the image. When I do, it will appear in the thread as well when, I refresh.

Other times, not even that trick works. :cry

I shall try your suggestion next time. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Sometimes, if I cut-and-paste the link into a new browser window, I'll see the image. When I do, it will appear in the thread as well when, I refresh.

Other times, not even that trick works. :cry

I shall try your suggestion next time. thumb.gif

When that works for me it is always because external links is turned off. It won't show the piccy in the external link, but once you load it into your cache by displaying in it's own window, it will, but it's loading it from the cache, not actually externally linking it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    When that works for me it is always because external links is turned off. It won't show the piccy in the external link, but once you load it into your cache by displaying in it's own window, it will, but it's loading it from the cache, not actually externally linking it.
    That makes sense.

But why doesn't the trick work for all piccies I can't see?

And why can others see the ones I can't, unless I first cut-n-paste them in a new window? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That makes sense.

But why doesn't the trick work for all piccies I can't see?

And why can others see the ones I can't, unless I first cut-n-paste them in a new window? headscratch.gif
    It may have something to do with this. On most browsers there is an option to turn of photos or objects if they are not originating from the same website as that you are looking at. Make sure the option "load images - for the originating web site only" is turned off.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Make sure the option "load images - for the originating web site only" is turned off.
    Yup, it is. Thanks for the tip, tho. nod.gif
    Sid.