Options

VOTE for winner of DGrin Challenge 77: System

2»

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You know what's funny? This thread has 1,100 views and only 141 votes. How hard is it to click on your favorite??!!?
    deal.gif
    it's not as easy as it seems as it seems you know.... it involves perception of presented artwork, and clicking a button...... headscratch.gif what am i saying? GO VOTE PEOPLE!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 15, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    it's not as easy as it seems as it seems you know.... it involves perception of presented artwork, and clicking a button...... headscratch.gif what am i saying? GO VOTE PEOPLE!
    good work, we drummed up 2 votes! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    less talk, more voting!!!

I've already voted seven times. What more do you want me to do?:D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:

Pay up! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    vote seven more times!!! lol3.gif

(that's a joke folks, just in case you got worried, the polling software won't allow more than one vote per user thumb.gif)
    Erik

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Pay up! :D

I knew there was a catch.
  • Options
    Jeff GeoghanJeff Geoghan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I've only got one vote - but 16 different usernames

:)
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Interiors, Exteriors & Landscape
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I've only got one vote - but 16 different usernames

:)

rolleyes1.gif

Common guys we need more ppl to vote (pls) mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Common guys we need more ppl to vote (pls)
    So joking aside, this is a serious question: what do we need to do to get more people to vote? There's typically 300 people online at any given time, and we're approaching 11,000 registered dgrinners! Even if half of them are spammers we haven't caught yet, that's still a lot of people! So how is it that we struggle to get 200 votes each week?

this is open for discussion.

and btw, I've extended the voting through the day, I will crown the winner this evening.
    Erik

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So joking aside, this is a serious question: what do we need to do to get more people to vote? There's typically 300 people online at any given time, and we're approaching 11,000 registered dgrinners! Even if half of them are spammers we haven't caught yet, that's still a lot of people! So how is it that we struggle to get 200 votes each week?

and btw, I've extended the voting through the day, I will crown the winner this evening.

Well, if I had superpowers like you guys, I would send each member
    an encouraging private message each time a new poll for the picture
    challenge has opened. And why not raffle a free print or tshirt or sth
    among the voters?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Well, if I had superpowers like you guys, I would send each member
    an encouraging private message each time a new poll for the picture
    challenge has opened. And why not raffle a free print or tshirt or sth
    among the voters?
    the former is basically spam - something we're firmly against here at dgrin. the t-shirt however, that's a pretty simple idea...
    Erik

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

You have to be careful with the numbers. Of the 300 you mention, most are not members and cannot vote. Right this minute, there are 363 people online but only 52 members. Of the registered dgrinners, the majority post once or twice (or not at all) and are not heard from again. A few hundred people seem to account for a large portion of all the posts. Of those very active members, some do not participate in the challenges at all--though perhaps they do vote. ne_nau.gif So perhaps it is not surprising that the turnout is low.

I wish more people took part, but I don't think that there's much we can do about it. I think that more people are voting than used to. As the membership grows, the numbers will probably continue to increase. Of course, if you are really determined to see the numbers increase, you could start offering huge cash prizes to the winners. How about $10,000, effective immediately? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    How about $10,000, effective immediately?
    I don't think so!

RS, good points, we're aware of them all - it's been the point of a fair amount of mod discussion lately. The fact remains that there is still some discrepancy, so while your answers are valid, I've heard 'em all before. Looking for some new simple ways to encourage lurkers to come out and at least vote on the challenges, and maybe someday enter them too!
    Erik

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Monitor voting/photo challenge submission activity throughout the year. Each user's vote or photo challenge submission counts as entry into an end-of-year raffle; i.e., for any challenge a photo submisssion and a vote = 2 entries.

At the end of the last challenge for the year Smugmug picks a random winner from all of the entries. Winner gets.....a) free year of smugmug, or b) free upgrade to next level of smugmug, or c) gift certificate to the smugmug store for acquiring many of those new items that will be availble from the flaunting contest, or d) whatever else SM might be able to come up with.

This might promote both challenge submissions and voter participation.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Include a what's in it for me...like say sweeten the deal with each voter getting a brand new shiny Canon L series for our collectionsne_nau.gif

BTW I voted...just out of the goodness of my heart:curtsey and cause i am too nosey to not know who's winningrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    why would we want L glass? :D

45 minutes left...
    Erik

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    why would we want L glass? :D

45 minutes left...

Just for the L of it.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Just for the L of it.rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Open the vote so it's no longer a secret. I'd like to see who votes for what.(I'm nosey :ivar )

This might have the opposite effect than the one your looking for though.

How about a wooden spoon award for people that vote for entries that receive less than 2 votes. You get banned for a week.... :D Oh, wait that won't attract more votes either.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, it's been another long day. rolleyes1.gif

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    the former is basically spam - something we're firmly against here at dgrin. the t-shirt however, that's a pretty simple idea...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the "spam." The only reason I didn't vote is because I didn't remember to check to see that voting was open. If we were allowed to sign up for reminder messages, I would.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    The only reason I didn't vote is because I didn't remember to check to see that voting was open.
    Maybe you'll remember now:

http://www.dgrin.com/announcement.php?f=7

This was the final response to the little discussion we got going here. Thanks to all who participated and added suggestions. thumb.gif
    Erik