Options

Review: Canon 50mm f/1.2L

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 18, 2008 in Cameras
I received my 50 f/1.2L yesterday, from my good friends at Tallyn's. Review Here. This lens had been rumored since May of 2005. Canon finally began shipping to dealers this week. I'd shot with one about a month ago, but it was a CPS lens, and so I made no review observations from that copy.

Size, Weight, Feel, Build. It's bigger than the f/1.4 - but you know that. It's not obnoxiously heavy like the bloated beast, the f/1.0. It's more compact-looking and -feeling that I had thought it would be. It feels quite good in hand, balances nicely on the 5D I've been shooting with. The build us pure Canon L. It's smooth, sexy, weather sealed and rugged. The focusing moves internally, though there's not a static front element - the entire works move as you focus. The hood is bayonet mount.

Autofocus: The measurebators are having a field day over this lens. It backfocuses! It frontfocuses! Well, this lens is spot-on for focus, and no, I don't use a ruler, I shoot at something, and if the focus is where I expected it to be, the lens is good. I will be perfoming some real-life tests on AF with this lens as soon as possible. My early observation is that it's faster than the f/1.4 (thankfully!).

Vignetting: This lens is a light sucking machine. But remember, any giant-aperture lens like this will vig when wide open. You'll notice it in some scenes, in other scenes you won't notice it at all. In all cases, vignetting is easily adjusted for in Camera Raw. So, vignetting is something that never bothers me. On this lens, vignetting is no more and no less than I've experienced on Canon's 85 f/1.2. Notes: vignetting will be much less on a 1.6x body. Vignetting is near zero once stopped down to f/2.

Chromatics: CA is well controlled here. Note the extreme examples in the review. I'm waiting for bright overcast sky condition, then I will shoot some outdoor shots, with tree branches. That's a very good situation for CA to appear.

Bokeh: It's delish. Smooth and creamy. Out of focus areas disappear into dreamy nothing-ness. There are reports on the net about the lens, at f/1.2, producing "cat-eye" specular highlights, when you'd expect them to be rounded. The answer to this is, "yes, it can/does." At f/1.2, there can be these shapes. There can also be round shapes. Here's an example. I suppose it has to do with the shape of the object, the way the light reflects from that object and is received/processed by the lens. It's not unheard of in these types of optics, here's an 85 f/1.8 @ f/1.8, showing both round and "cat-eye" shaped out of focus specular highlights.

Compared to Canon's 50 f/1.4 Yes, I did some comparison shots. Have a look in the gallery. The 50 f/1.2L is sharper, at it's widest aperture of f/1.2, than the 50 f/1.4 is at it's widest, f/1.4. This is what I had hoped and I'm pleased to see it.

Summary: Solid build, excellent mechanics, operation, feel, balance. Not overly heavy, as one might expect. Autofocus is faster than the 50 f/1.4, and it is accurate. Not blazing fast though. Color and contrast are excellent - as you'd expect. Bokeh is creamy smooth. Odd "cutting-off" of the out of focus specular highlights, a serious flaw. CA control is average wide open, quite good stopped down. Sharpness - OK wide open, little, if any, difference to the 50 f/1.4 wide open.

Conclusion: This is a lens for folks that need to shoot in the dark, and can't afford to trade ISO or shutter speed, and use a lens that is 1/5th the price, Canon's 50mm f/1.4. No doubt, it can produce great photographs, and many folks, including portraitists, PJs and lens connoisseurs, will benefit from this glass. Me? I'll stick with my 50 f/1.4. I so much wanted this lens to be really great. Canon has missed the boat with this much-hyped lens, and the fact that it sells for $1,600 USD, when there is an alternative for $300 that's for all intents and purposes, just as good, well, just twice about it folks.

Edit: September 2008: I have decided to own this lens after all, and a big reason is the low light performance and sharpness on the Canon 5D II with HD Video :)

Review, is here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2217311

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited December 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:

MORE TO COME, INCLUDING PICS :D

Andy,

Sounds great! Looking forward to the image samples.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I am definitely interested to hear what you think of it. My current low light kit is the 35/1.4L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, and the 135/2L and the 50/1.4 is the weakest link by some margin. Since on the 5D I also find that 50mm is maybe my most commonly needed focal length, I am seriously looking to upgrade.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Andy...those bokeh tests...that's not bokeh. Boken requires out of focus points of light.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    that's not bokeh. Boken requires out of focus points of light.

Sorry Richard, that's not true. It's the quality of the out-of-focus areas. It can have points of light, sure, or it can just be smooth and creamy and buttery oh-so-good :D

By the way, we covered this once before, you and I, here. I'm wondering why you don't believe me headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 9, 2006
    That's a mighty sweet light monster there Andy.

I could have used it as I dined this evening. I would have been able to show
    the beauty of such dishes as scallops or perhaps the lamb chops or
    maybe even Paella Rustica.

I can't move.

Oh, that thing has buttery sweet bokeh!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This lens is a light sucking machine.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry Richard, that's not true. It's the quality of the out-of-focus areas. It can have points of light, sure, or it can just be smooth and creamy and buttery oh-so-good :D

By the way, we covered this once before, you and I, here. I'm wondering why you don't believe me headscratch.gif

Hahahahaha my memory is garbage. I very vividly remembered that thread as me saying bokeh is the quality of the out of focus areas and you telling me that it had to have points of light. I didn't want to drag up that thread because I didn't want to show that you were contradicting yourself. Hahahahaha I'm an idiot. Well...still I'd be interested to see how it handles out of focus points of light.
  • Options
    RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Congrats Andy! So is that 1.2 so good that you can ditch the 1.4? I mean does 1.2L beat 1.4 in every aspect expect maybe the pricing? Trying to build my low light kit now, probably will go with 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 instead of Ls. I want to know how much I will miss. Eric
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Well...still I'd be interested to see how it handles out of focus points of light.

lol3.gif no worries! Updated main posting with example from other glass, new samples coming from the 50 f/1.2 daily.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Well...still I'd be interested to see how it handles out of focus points of light.
    Done, review updated.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Any chance of testing it directly against the f1.4 version with same shots so we can see the difference between the two?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Focus test added.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Done, review updated.

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of that. For some reason the out of focus points of light coming out of that lens seem more bold and defined (relative to the rest of the image) than out of other 1.2 (well...Nikkor 1.2 AIS) and 1.4 lenses I have seen.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Hmmm, I'm not a fan of that. For some reason the out of focus points of light coming out of that lens seem more bold and defined (relative to the rest of the image) than out of other 1.2 (well...Nikkor 1.2 AIS) and 1.4 lenses I have seen.
    As with most things, this would be highly subjective, and folks will have personal preferences.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    First dibs on the resale of this lens next week. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Hey, I noticed a comparison to the 50mm f1.4. Thanks.
    I'm impressed, the f1.2L seems sharper than the f1.4 lens both at f1.2 and f1.4.

If the shots are unprocessed without sharpening or contrast added, I don't think the difference would not be noticable after post processing but unlike the 50mm f1.0L that Canon made in the past that was too soft, this lens seems very sharp.

I still don't think it's worth the money though.
    :)
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Tee Why wrote:

I still don't think it's worth the money though.
    :)

I completely agree. The Canon pricing guys are smoking some seriously good stuff here, to price this lens at $1,600. It's not worth 5 times the 50 f/1.4. Nope.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Nice review, Andy. Thanks for doing the work. It sure does look like a lens that's only needed in highly specialized situations. Or for posing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    RedSox wrote:
    Congrats Andy! So is that 1.2 so good that you can ditch the 1.4?
    No.
    I mean does 1.2L beat 1.4 in every aspect expect maybe the pricing?
    No.
    Trying to build my low light kit now, probably will go with 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 instead of Ls. I want to know how much I will miss. Eric
    Nothing, unless you have highly specialized needs for f/1.2.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    So all in all you're gettin .2 more aperture, a red ring, an L, and better weather seals with this, while paying a thousdand dollars more ?
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    So all in all you're gettin .2 more aperture, a red ring, an L, and better weather seals with this, while paying a thousdand dollars more ?
    No.

It's nearly One Thousand Three Hundred dollars more. :uhoh
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Thanks Andy...
    I appreciate getting the straight dope from someone who knows what they are doing and tells it like it is.

thumb.gif

Personally, I could *never* afford one so it was actually very comforting to know that the 'old' 50 f/1.4 will suffice for my needs.

Thanks again, for your efforts...

Anthony
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No.

It's nearly One Thousand Three Hundred dollars more. :uhoh

Thats just about all the money in my acct right now :D . And I plan on holding on to my f/1.4 and my 1300 dollars.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    I understand the difference in practice between my f/1.2 85mm and my f/2.0 135mm and f/1.4 50mm. What about this lens? Does it open up an extra 1/2 hour of street photography at dusk? Does it make the difference between being able to shoot trick-or-treaters or not? Would you take it on a trip to a city where you'd never been; would the extra capabilities be worth the extra weight (forget price for now).

What can it do that the f/1.4 cannot?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    What can it do that the f/1.4 cannot?

Not much, IMO. You'll get 1/3 stop (or 1/2, depending on your point of reference), which means you can shoot at ISO 1250 instead of 1600 maybe. But with today's great high-ISO performance, does it really matter? Is that worth $1300? To some, sure, I suppose. To the majority of us, no, I don't think so.

It'll give you a bit creamier bokeh and smoother OOF areas. But not $1300 worth of that, IMO. It'll focus a bit faster. It'll be sharper at most apertures (but the 50 1.4 is pretty darn sharp!). It produces less purple fringe but more strange green fringe around specular highlights.

I woke up today, very angry at Canon for coming out with this lens, thinking about all the development and manufacturing dollars that could have been spent on a sharp wide L prime @ 18mm or 21mm. :pissed
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    It's a good answer, Andy. Let me refine the question just a little more to try to see this lens in the best possible light. What if you were a photojournalist sent to cover the death of a pope or an event in a church where no flash allowed? Would you choose this? I've taken to using my 24-105 f/4 and bringing my 50 f/1.4 in my pocket in case I need to shoot in the dark. This offers a lot of portability and capability for the size/weight. The next step up in terms of capability is 24-75 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8. That's a lot more weight and still nothing below f/2.8.

Remember the trip to the library? Would it have been any different with this lens?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    It's a good answer, Andy. Let me refine the question just a little more to try to see this lens in the best possible light. What if you were a photojournalist sent to cover the death of a pope or an event in a church where no flash allowed? Would you choose this?
    If I was PJ for a living, I'd choose this lens. It would stand up to abuse much better than other 50mm alternatives. Would it get me a better photo in St. Peter's, yeah I should think so.
    Remember the trip to the library? Would it have been any different with this lens?
    No.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    If I was PJ for a living, I'd choose this lens. It would stand up to abuse much better than other 50mm alternatives. Would it get me a better photo in St. Peter's, yeah I should think so.

Well, isn't that answer then? As far as I can tell, P.J. (and studio to a lesser extent) is Canons real pro marketing focus. They think the 16-24 covers the wide thing for this market. Landscape just isn't a priority for them. And once you put the camera on a tripod, well you can stitch multiple images, do HDR, all kinds of things.

Not to say it wouldn't be great to have better fast ultra wide from them. It's just that you can understand what they were thinking. Yes?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    It seems people are forgetting how it has better sharpness and contrast than the f/1.4 version. I would gladly pay $600 for such a lens...though I sure as heck would not pay $1600. Andy, do you plan on keeping this lens for any length of time? I wondering if when I got home I could send you my Zeiss ZF 50 1.4 with a Nikon mount to EF adapter to do a side to side comparo with?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    It seems people are forgetting how it has better sharpness and contrast than the f/1.4 version. I would gladly pay $600 for such a lens...though I sure as heck would not pay $1600. Andy, do you plan on keeping this lens for any length of time? I wondering if when I got home I could send you my Zeiss ZF 50 1.4 with a Nikon mount to EF adapter to do a side to side comparo with?
    No, I'm not keeping it.
    It's already on the way back naughty.gif