Options

RAW in Photoshop CS

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited February 19, 2004 in Finishing School
So I just installed CS all excited because I'll be able to do my RAW files A-Z in photoshop. Yeah right!

“Unable to use the Camera Raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this host.”

Can anyone help me out with this? It just refuses to open my .CRW files. Even tried doing an "open as" and selecting the "RAW... .NEF, .CRW, etc" option. Nothing.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 3, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So I just installed CS all excited because I'll be able to do my RAW files A-Z in photoshop. Yeah right!

Can anyone help me out with this? It just refuses to open my .CRW files. Even tried doing an "open as" and selecting the "RAW... .NEF, .CRW, etc" option. Nothing.
    What does 'host' refer to - the camera ( I think you use a 300D correct? ) or is the host the computer?

Does PS CS support the 300D? I am not sure if it does. I know CS raw converter works with the 10D because that is what I use - It will also work for Canon G5 Raw files for me too.

Are you looking at the raw files with the Browser in Photoshop? There the files are opened as thumbnails automatically......if they are raw files that are supported by PS CS RAW converter.

If the adobe converter does not work - have you tried the Canon Raw converter that came with the 300D? That should allow you to view and convert the images to jpgs or tiffs for editing in PS.
    The are other Raw converters - BreezeBrowser and CaptureOne come to mind. Just check to see if they support the 300D.
    Good luck - please let this forum know if CS does not support the 300D _ If it does not, I bet Adobe will upgrade to allow it in the future or hear about it from unhappy Digital Rebel owners....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

It sound's like when you try to open the file an older (i.e. pre-CS) plug-in is starting up. Since the plug-in is pre-CS it doesn't know what CS is, and it refuses to run.

In my plug-ins folder there is a "File Formats" sub-folder. In this folder there is a "Camera Raw.8BI" file (4,059,012 bytes, mod-date: 10-13-03). Do you have this file??? Looking around, I don't see any other plug-ins that seem to have anything to do with RAW files. If you find some other plug-ins that look like they might have something to do with RAW files, try moving them out of the "Plug-ins" directory temporarly, and then try to open your file.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    What does 'host' refer to - the camera ( I think you use a 300D correct? ) or is the host the computer?
    I wondered about this too. After a little Googling, I'm pretty sure that "host" refers to the application that is running the plug-in. For example, in this case the host is Photoshop CS.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does PS CS support the 300D? I am not sure if it does. I know CS raw converter works with the 10D because that is what I use - It will also work for Canon G5 Raw files for me too.

Are you looking at the raw files with the Browser in Photoshop? There the files are opened as thumbnails automatically......if they are raw files that are supported by PS CS RAW converter.
    This was a good start. I fired up CS and used the internal browser - went to a RAW directory i set up for this and sure enough, that same error popped up again. BUT, after i closed the error box, the thumbnails for the RAW files showed up correctly. So I guess this means 300D is supported...

BTW, I have been using the PhaseOne DSLR Rebel and its great, but I was just excited to be able to do everything in one program.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    It sound's like when you try to open the file an older (i.e. pre-CS) plug-in is starting up. Since the plug-in is pre-CS it doesn't know what CS is, and it refuses to run.

In my plug-ins folder there is a "File Formats" sub-folder. In this folder there is a "Camera Raw.8BI" file (4,059,012 bytes, mod-date: 10-13-03). Do you have this file??? Looking around, I don't see any other plug-ins that seem to have anything to do with RAW files. If you find some other plug-ins that look like they might have something to do with RAW files, try moving them out of the "Plug-ins" directory temporarly, and then try to open your file.
    I have the exact same file that you have in the same CS directory. I don't quite get what you mean by an older plug-in starting up?

The only thing that brings to mind is: I still have Photoshop 7 installed. I checked in the PS7 directories and there is no plug-in with the same name to conflict with PS CS. I'm hesitant to uninstall 7 because CS I don't own yet... just in the 30 days trial.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I have the exact same file that you have in the same CS directory. I don't quite get what you mean by an older plug-in starting up?
    Sorry, I got confused thinking about your problem. I was thinking about my install where I had a plug-in that would let me open Nikon RAW files in PS 7.0.

What I thought had happened is that when was installed, it took a peek at your 7.0 install. It coppied the RAW file plug-in into the CS plug-ins folder.

Is there some way you could send me one of your CRW files to see if I could open it?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This was a good start. I fired up CS and used the internal browser - went to a RAW directory i set up for this and sure enough, that same error popped up again. BUT, after i closed the error box, the thumbnails for the RAW files showed up correctly. So I guess this means 300D is supported...

BTW, I have been using the PhaseOne DSLR Rebel and its great, but I was just excited to be able to do everything in one program.
    So you were able to see the thumbnails with the adobe browser - were you then able to open them or did you still get the statement about the wrong host? Did you perhaps install CS in the PS 7 directory and have a conflict there? When I saw the thumbnals I just double clicked on one and up it came into the raw converter...... Hmmmm.....

• Options
    edited February 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    So you were able to see the thumbnails with the adobe browser - were you then able to open them or did you still get the statement about the wrong host? Did you perhaps install CS in the PS 7 directory and have a conflict there? When I saw the thumbnals I just double clicked on one and up it came into the raw converter...... Hmmmm.....
    I installed CS in the same Adobe directory, but I have seperate subdirectories for 7 and CS (thats how Adobe does all their software.

With the thumbnails, I got the same "host error" BEFORE the thumbnails actually showed up. As soon as I selected a directory with raw files in it within the browswer the error popped up. I killed the error box and then the thumbnails showed up ok. If I tried to double click open them, the computer would stall as if trying to open them, but then nothing would happen, no further error message, but no further action either.

Cletus was able to successfully open my CRW's on his computher (the Camera Raw screen opened right up with them) running CS, so clearly I have a bad install or the trial version has a problem. Canon 300D files are definitely supported in CS.

I guess I'll try to uninstall both 7 and CS, maybe redownload the trial, and try again. Very annoying.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 5, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I installed CS in the same Adobe directory, but I have seperate subdirectories for 7 and CS (thats how Adobe does all their software.

With the thumbnails, I got the same "host error" BEFORE the thumbnails actually showed up. As soon as I selected a directory with raw files in it within the browswer the error popped up. I killed the error box and then the thumbnails showed up ok. If I tried to double click open them, the computer would stall as if trying to open them, but then nothing would happen, no further error message, but no further action either.

Cletus was able to successfully open my CRW's on his computher (the Camera Raw screen opened right up with them) running CS, so clearly I have a bad install or the trial version has a problem. Canon 300D files are definitely supported in CS.

I guess I'll try to uninstall both 7 and CS, maybe redownload the trial, and try again. Very annoying.
    Very interesting and thank you for the followup - Perhaps you might call Adobe tech support - they are usually pretty good and eager to help their customers.

• Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2004
    Adobe has made some updates to CS to support more cameras/formats. FWIW, I can open a Canon RAW file in CS without any problems. Unfortunately, I'm on a mac so probably can't be of any more help.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2004
    knary wrote:
    Adobe has made some updates to CS to support more cameras/formats. FWIW, I can open a Canon RAW file in CS without any problems. Unfortunately, I'm on a mac so probably can't be of any more help.
    Have you always been a Mac user or did you jump ship from the Windows World? - The reason I am asking is that I am contemplating switching to leave the headaches of XP behind.Pissed.gif

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Have you always been a Mac user or did you jump ship from the Windows World? - The reason I am asking is that I am contemplating switching to leave the headaches of XP behind.Pissed.gif
    Don't know about him but I have always been a UNIX guy except for notebooks and one or two obligatory Wintel boxes. When my 300mhz PII Sony Vaio started choking around the time that Apple was doing UNIX (MacOSX) then it was a no-brainer to get an Apple notebook, first the 15" PB and then the 17" PowerBook which I am ecstatic about. It has every feature needed and some more.

Current
    . 1ghz PB17" MacOSX 10.2.28
    . 2.4ghz shuttle XPpro
    . Celeron - W2k
    . 2 PI notebooks - NetBSD
    . PI notebook - OpenBSD
    . DUAL PIII CPU/SCSI RAID - NetBSD
    . DUAL PIII CPU/SCSI RAID - RH Linux
    . UltraSparc - Solaris 8
    . UltraSparc - Solaris 9
    . 2 AXPs - Tru64 UNIX 5.1b
    . AXP - Tru64 4.0b
    . AXP - OpenBSD
    . PIII - FreeBSD

And a bunch more that are not online at the moment. I most definitely recommend the Apple notebooks and systems.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2004
    I've spent most of my computer time on a mac. I am a BIG fan. But there is no clear answer as to which is a better, a mac or a PC. The macs start at a higher price point (there is no equivalent to the $400 PC), but compare well to similarly equipped wintel machines. I was forced to spend some time with a wretched wintel box running windows 98 and have spent some time with XP, including running it on my mac via Virtual PC (a slowww way to run XP). I dislike and disliked every moment of it. Whenever I see Windows of any flavor, my first thought is invariably, "Eeeeewwww. That is one fugly UI. How do people stand it?". I like the mac simplicity. I like the ease by which the macs are maintained. I love that I don't have to give much thought to viruses (OS X is less friendly to viruses and we're too small a piece of the market to be worth an attack). But there are reasons to like Wintel boxes - you can get in cheap, you can run that weird piece of software that isn't available for mac, graphics cards are cheap so you can turn them into game machines more easily.

If you can, find someone with Mac OS 10.3.x running on a laptop and see if they'll let you borrow it or at least play with it for a little while. If you were anywhere near Portland, OR... :):
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    Converted Zealot
    As my friend Knary so well stated, there is no comparison. I have run the W boxes for many years and tried a 15" Powerbook last December 02. I was amazed at the ease of use, stability of the OS and overall quality of the product. It took and still takes me some time to find my way through things, but the tech online help is very good. I do a lot of graphics and plan on doing much more now that I have a reasonable tool to work with.

The other very positive element is the interactivity of the programs for the mac. Everything works with everything else and that means time and aggravation savings. Spendy, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Deacon
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    Deacon wrote:
    As my friend Knary so well stated, there is no comparison. I have run the W boxes for many years and tried a 15" Powerbook last December 02. I was amazed at the ease of use, stability of the OS and overall quality of the product. It took and still takes me some time to find my way through things, but the tech online help is very good. I do a lot of graphics and plan on doing much more now that I have a reasonable tool to work with.

The other very positive element is the interactivity of the programs for the mac. Everything works with everything else and that means time and aggravation savings. Spendy, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Deacon

You guys are all talking about Powerbooks - but what I had in mind was a Cinema Display and a dual processor G5 - Can you calibrate the screen in a Powerbook with Ezcolor or some such like you can with desktop monitors - OR - Has Apple already done it for you? I am gradually thinking of returning to a Mac after leaving Apple in 1980 or thereabouts.Laughing.gif

• Options
    edited February 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    You guys are all talking about Powerbooks - but what I had in mind was a Cinema Display and a dual processor G5 - Can you calibrate the screen in a Powerbook with Ezcolor or some such like you can with desktop monitors - OR - Has Apple already done it for you? I am gradually thinking of returning to a Mac after leaving Apple in 1980 or thereabouts.Laughing.gif

I don't know if you can calibrate them - though I don't see why not. The problem is, with the ever shifting view angle, you can't quite depend on the accuracy. In my experience, all but the 12" apple laptop display have excellent color accuracy - for LCD's.

I dream of a G5 and the 20" display. Nummy nummy.