Options

Merritt Island IV Florida Wildlife Shoot - 2/4-2/11

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Update on the West Coast Shoot
    Hi Y'all,

This is the latest info on the West Coast portion of the shoot. Just a reminder that I will be on the Space Coast throughout the entire shoot and the West Coast portion is just another option.

"
    MI IV West Coast Swing
    For those thinking about coming to the Florida West Coast on Sun, Mon, & Tuesday of the Nikon Cafe MI IV Rendezvous. The West Coast shoot will start at Ft Myers, FL. As soon as I have some indication of the number of attendees to expect here, I will try to negotiate a group rate at one of the newer hotels near the Interstate in Ft Myers. Without some kind of group rate, you can expect to pay $170-180 per night as this will be at the peak of the "high season" here. We need at least 10 people renting rooms to qualify for a group rate. Also, bear in mind that traffic this time of year can be maddening.

Logistically, it would probably be good to use whatever remains of Sunday, Feb 4 and Monday, Feb 5 to shoot in the Ft Myers area. Opportunities in that location are almost boundless, with Corkscrew Swamp, Little Estero Lagoon, Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel Island, and Cape Coral coming to mind first. We could depart Ft Myers early Tuesday morning for the Venice Rookery and spend the day at the Venice Rookery before heading for Melbourne on the East Coast. I will furnish attendees with sheets describing each recommended site, to include directions from the motel.
    Cape Coral (Burrowing Owls) and Ding Darling are both easy shoots in that it is not necessary to even leave the car. You can, of course leave your automobile, but it is not necessary. Corkscrew Swamp is comprised of boardwalks, requiring a long walk and and a modest admission fee. I will post more on what birds you can expect to find at the various location at a later time and this information will also be part of the information packet that you receive before arriving."
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    So tempting to go to the West coast. I may just have to do it. I've got a friend that lives on Sanibel Island so it would give me an excuse to go see him also. Decisions decisions.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    So tempting to go to the West coast. I may just have to do it. I've got a friend that lives on Sanibel Island so it would give me an excuse to go see him also. Decisions decisions.

I know a guy that'll treat you to lunch if you make it to Venice. He might even take you out on the boat to see the osprey nests if you're interested. eek7.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    SeannaSeanna Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Hey Harry,

I heard the MI IV shoot dates had been set. I will be joining the group for this shoot.

Robin
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    Seanna wrote:
    Hey Harry,

I heard the MI IV shoot dates had been set. I will be joining the group for this shoot.

Robin

clap.gif That's great Robin. We need more local shooters to make sure the out-of-towners don't step on the gators.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    clap.gif That's great Robin. We need more local shooters to make sure the out-of-towners don't step on the gators.
    I thought they were just for decoration?

103224720-L.jpg
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    UPDATE
    Currently we have had 34 folks indicating that want to do the shoot. They are
    (in no particular order and using their screen names)

Woundedmallard
    Merlin50
    Flew
    Harryb
    Gale
    Robin
    Trish
    Kevin Scott
    Ched
    PhilC
    Bob Hoge
    Nan Hoge
    Gordon Large
    Gchappel
    Dreuter
    The chemist
    Louis Champan
    Andreasb
    Mike mac
    TheKO
    Gluwater
    GonzoBernelli
    Reggie
    Marketvillagedad
    Donkolson
    Txbonds
    GeeJay
    Happyfish
    Birdmanphotographer
    Pathfinder
    Nightingale
    David Taylor
    Michael Allen
    Dragon300zx

If you intend to go and your name ain't on this list please let us know that you're coming. For the folks flying in the Orlando Airport is where you want to fly into if you are doing the Space Coast portion of the shoot.

Tampa would be the best airport to fly into if you are doing the west coast portion of the shoot.

Remember if you want the group rate for the Comfort Inn in Titusville you must make your reservation by 1/4/07
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Remember if you want the group rate for the Comfort Inn in Titusville you must make your reservation by 1/4/07
    Is my room at Chez Harry & Linda available ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Is my room at Chez Harry & Linda available ear.gif

The two spare bedrooms are filled but I still have an air mattress open and we can find some corner to stick you in or you & Nick could share the futon in the one bedroom if you promise not to get funky on us.

Gluwater, Pathfinder and Nightingale are staying over for the shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Hey Harry...just thought I'd mention there is a nice airport in Sarasota (SRQ) and Ft. Myers that folks hitting the West coast can fly into also. Sarasota is a bit more expensive than Tampa usually......but Fort Myers is pretty much the same as Tampa. Both these airports are less busy than Tampa.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    The two spare bedrooms are filled but I still have an air mattress open and we can find some corner to stick you in or you & Nick could share the futon in the one bedroom if you promise not to get funky on us.

Gluwater, Pathfinder and Nightingale are staying over for the shoot.

I call pool side air matress. rolleyes1.gif ok...pool matress will work also lol. You have a tree I can sleep in with the birds? You have to be one with them....you know. Need some raw fish too. thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    ....or you & Nick could share the futon in the one bedroom if you promise not to get funky on us.
    This could be the most interesting trip to Florida yet! :uhohlol3.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    This could be the most interesting trip to Florida yet! :uhohlol3.gif

I may be able to get wildlife shots and not even have to leave the house. :ivar
    Harry
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    I'll probably be in for the 4th and 5th, oh and the 11th, and I'll see about swing a couple of extra days off. Woo! wings.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Hi Y’all,

I’ll be sending this out as a PM to everyone who has expressed an interest in MI IV in case you miss it here.

This year’s shoot will be a little more complicated than last year’s so we can use all the help we can get. Right now if its possible we need to know the following info:
    • Are you coming?
    • What days are you coming for?
    • Will you be doing the West Coast portion of the trip or staying on the Space Coast?
    • Are you interested in taking Ron Reznick’s workshop? If yes do you want the group sessions or an individual session?
    Remember that room reservations for the Space Coast portion of the trip must be made by January 4th.

Also we need to get some idea of who’s doing the West Coast leg. Ron Woolridge needs a rough idea so he can get a group rate and the places are filling fast down here, as February is snowbird season.

Thanks for your help and I’m looking forward to seeing and shooting with y’all
    Harry
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    In.
    East Only
    Thurs - Saturday
    Workshop

Zanotti
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Are you coming?
    I'm going to try damned hard to get there.
    Harryb wrote:
    What days are you coming for?
    Hopefully the 4th, 5th and maybe 11th.
    Harryb wrote:
    Will you be doing the West Coast portion of the trip or staying on the Space Coast?
    No to the West Coast. I'm wanting to do Space Coast but not staying in a hotel.
    Harryb wrote:
    Are you interested in taking Ron Reznick’s workshop? If yes do you want the group sessions or an individual session?
    No

Harryb wrote:
    Also we need to get some idea of who’s doing the West Coast leg. Ron Woolridge needs a rough idea so he can get a group rate and the places are filling fast down here, as February is snowbird season.
    Only doing the east coast.

:D
    Jen

• Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    I'm going to try damned hard to get there.

Hopefully the 4th, 5th and maybe 11th.

No to the West Coast. I'm wanting to do Space Coast but not staying in a hotel.

No

Only doing the east coast.

:D

thumb.gif

Looking forward to meeting ya and shooting with you.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    thumb.gif

Looking forward to meeting ya and shooting with you.

Me too! I'm so excited now. wings.gifwings.gif
    Jen

• Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Reminder for everyone attending MI IV

Motel reservations for the Comfort Inn in Titusville must be made by January 4, 2007. This is the motel for the Space Coast area.

For those attending the west coast portion of the shoot here's the motel info from Ron Wooldrige:

"Today, I spoke with Clark, the manager of the Econo Lodge in Ft Myers, FL. He will give us a nice rate reduction if we have at least 10 people booking. The rate we are getting is $109.95 plus tax, per night. The normal seasonal rate is $ 149.95 plus tax. The address is: 13661 Indiian Paint Lane, Ft Myers, FL 33912.

Cut-off date is Jan 15, 2007. This location is very convenient to most of the locations we plan to shoot, and is close to the Ft Myers airport. Telephone 239-561-1117. The rooms will be booked under the name "Nikon Group". "
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Do you realize that about 1 minute before you posted this I booked a nonrefundable flight to Orlando? Oh man I hope I can switch for a flight to Ft Meyers or I have a 3 hour drive once I get there.

BTW Southwest has cheap flights right now for that week. My flight from Chicago to Orlando was $135 total roundtrip.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Do you realize that about 1 minute before you posted this I booked a nonrefundable flight to Orlando? Oh man I hope I can switch for a flight to Ft Meyers or I have a 3 hour drive once I get there.

BTW Southwest has cheap flights right now for that week. My flight from Chicago to Orlando was $135 total roundtrip.

One minute :yikes that is really bad timing

I made the drive over to the west coast once and it was an incredibly tedious and boring drive. Don't forget that you will be leaving from Orlando after the shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    I got a call from the lady at the Comfort Inn in Titusville today asking if I still wanted the rooms I put on hold because so far only two reservations have been made.

If you're coming I would suggest making your reservations ASAP. I had them hold 12 roons for us and told them we would probably need a few more. Now this is snow bird season and prime time for the motels in the area. They will give us additional rooms at the group rate if they are available. That's an if and not a gurantee. I can't ask them to hold more rooms for us when we have only reserved two of the 12 on hold so far.

The phone motel # 321-269-7110
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2006
    Here's the current on fo on the shoot.

Hi y'all,

Here is the inside scoop on MI IV. 657.gif

The dates for the shoot are from 2/4/07-2/11/07. I will be coordinating the shoot on the Space Coast for that entire week. The motel for those coming to the Space Coast is:

The Comfort Inn in Titusville, Florida. The address is Comfort Inn, 3655 Cheney Hwy, Titusville, FL 32780. Its right off of exit 215 of US 95 and its a 20 minute drive from there to all three of our main shooting locations (Merritt Island NWR, Orlando Wetlands, and the Viera Wetlands). The room rate is $75/night for a room with two queen size beds. The motel supplies a free continental breakfast in the morning. Most of the rooms are non-smoking but we also have a few smoking rooms. The motel phone # is (321)269-7110 (sorry no 800#). Reservations must be made by January 4th 2007. The group rate is under the name of HPB Photography.

Those flying in for the Space Coast should fly into the Orlando airport and rent cars there for the 45 minute drive to the Space Coast.

Now in addition to the shooting on the Space Coast there will be some folks shooting on Florida's West Coast from 2/4-2/6. They will be leaving the West Coast mid 2/6 to join the rest of us on the Space Coast. The motel info for folks shooting on the West Coast is:

The Econo Lodge in Ft Myers, FL. He will give us a nice rate reduction if we have at least 10 people booking. The rate we are getting is $109.95 plus tax, per night. The normal seasonal rate is $ 149.95 plus tax. The address is: 13661 Indian Paint Lane, Ft Myers, FL 33912.
    Cut-off date is Jan 15, 2007. This location is very convenient to most of the locations we plan to shoot, and is close to the Ft Myers airport. Telephone 239-561-1117. The rooms will be booked under the name "Nikon Group".

On 2/6 (Tuesday) I will host a BBQ at my house from 6-9 PM for anyone interested.

In addition to all this good time stuff we have an additional bonus this year as Ron Reznick will be joining us. 866.gif He will be conducting probably two workshops during MI IV on the Space Coast. The approximate cost of this two day workshop is $650. The final cost Will be determined by Ron's expenses and the number of folks taking the workshops. The more who take the workshop, the lower the cost. Once I talk to Ron I will provide more specific info on the workshops. Right niw 15 folks have expressed an interest in taking the workshop.

If you have any questions please PM Reggie or myself. Do not respond in this thread please. My home # is 321-639-7302 and my cell # is 917-703-3590.

We need folks to make their reservations ASAP and to confirm their attendance to Reggie or myself via PM.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2006
    REZNICK WORKSHOP

Here’s the info on Ron’s workshops during the MI IV shoot.

There will be two two-day workshops during the shoot. The first will be from 2/5-2/6 and the second will be from 2/8-2/9. The approximate cost will be $650.00. Once we get a final number on the participants and Ron’s expenses we will be able to give you an exact amount.

If you want to attend please PM me and let me know what dates you want. Also a deposit of $300 will be required. Your deposit check should be sent to Ron as soon as possible. The checks should be mailed to:

One Night Management Trust
    Ron Reznick
    636 E. Harvard Road
    Unit B
    Burbank, CA 91501

The balance of your payment will be due during your workshop.

If you have a laptop/notebook please bring it with you for the classroom portion of the training.
    Harry
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    I put in the request for the time off from work today and it looks like I got approved. Looks like you guys are stuck with me. deal.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2006
    Ok So I'm deffinatley in, I will be there on the space cost from the 3rd to the 11th. I will be renting a trailblazer so will have plenty of room for carrying people, and if anyone needs a roommate to split hotel costs with let me know.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2006
    I put in the request for the time off from work today and it looks like I got approved. Looks like you guys are stuck with me. deal.gif

clap.gif :ivar beer.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    Ok So I'm deffinatley in, I will be there on the space cost from the 3rd to the 11th. I will be renting a trailblazer so will have plenty of room for carrying people, and if anyone needs a roommate to split hotel costs with let me know.

Do you drive REALLY REALY FAST? ne_nau.gif:D PM sent
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    Do you drive REALLY REALY FAST? ne_nau.gif:D PM sent

Do I drive really really fast? Wow so my reputation hasn't spread around here fully yet eh. I drive very very very very fast, however I have to watch it a bit more when I'm in florida because of those air patrols gggrrrrrrrr. I was goin to rent a 350Z but the are all rented out that week, so I was gonna go with a mustang, but the rentals are only 6 cylinders, so I decided the trailblazer for comfort, and I can still get it to 90+. Oh and I replied to your PM already.
    www.zxstudios.com