Options

Herman Miller Aeron Chair

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in The Big Picture
Does anyone use a Herman Miller Aeron Chair? My chair is old and not very user friendly. I am looking to get something that is better for sitting and working on the computer all day long. I know they are expensive, but over time and considering the hours it will be used, then it is not too bad.

So if you have one or work in one, do you notice a huge difference between it and other office chairs? Is it cooler to sit in over the course of the day due to its mesh structure? What do you like or not like about it? :ear

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Does anyone use a Herman Miller Aeron Chair? My chair is old and not very user friendly. I am looking to get something that is better for sitting and working on the computer all day long. I know they are expensive, but over time and considering the hours it will be used, then it is not too bad.

So if you have one or work in one, do you notice a huge difference between it and other office chairs? Is it cooler to sit in over the course of the day due to its mesh structure? What do you like or not like about it? ear.gif

i use one and highly recommend it. i've had two back surgeries, and so my chair is important to me... great support, customizability, breathability, etc.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

i'm sitting in it here, and the guest chairs are some excellent knock-offs, i got from a guy in florida (bought two dozen of them...)

18697591-M.jpg

buy from here and tell them you want 10% off. use my name as a referral client deal.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    I have one in my office, it's very comfortable and adjustable. Just be aware that some models have more adjustability than others. For example, the seat tilt can be adjusted on some models, but not on mine.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm sitting in it here, and the guest chairs are some excellent knock-offs, i got from a guy in florida (bought two dozen of them...)

I have one of the knock-offs at home - I like it quite a bit. I've also had 2 back surgeries and am about ready for another. This chair works for me.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 28, 2005
    The come in three different sizes. Small, Medium and Large.

Reasonably comfy. Adjustable and unlike most ergo chairs, if you want to
    lean back, you can :D

I should add, that you can pick them up used fairly cheap. But beware.
    When they go, it's usually the base that craps out.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

aeron-carbon-wave-b.jpg

ordered yesterday, arrived today - now I'm sittin' in Herman Miller bliss in the digital darkroom, too.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    I got the Mirra. Also by Herman Miller. Similar, but cheaper. Some things about it I like more, some less.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I'm sittin' in Herman Miller bliss in the digital darkroom, too.

:pissed

call me in a week, when you tire of it deal.gif1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I got the Mirra. Also by Herman Miller. Similar, but cheaper. Some things about it I like more, some less.

I thought about the Mirra, but it's to L.A. for me lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I thought about the Mirra, but it's to L.A. for me lol3.gif

Yeah, it comes in all those funky colors. I got black.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    If you are tall or have long femurs, the standard size one isn't so great. I've heard there is a large sized one, but I've never sat in one. I had one at SGI that was standard and I ended up rejecting it. Less tall people loved it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    If you are tall or have long femurs, the standard size one isn't so great. I've heard there is a large sized one, but I've never sat in one. I had one at SGI that was standard and I ended up rejecting it. Less tall people loved it.

Use the sizing chart on their website. It's very accurate. I'm tall, 6' 2" and so I'm using a size C and it's oh so comfy iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I went through a bunch of cheap chairs, love my Aeron, but if I was buying one now I'd buy a Mirra. Self-adjusting.

Wanna know how to check an Aeron for size? Hand under the edge at the top of the back, there's either one two or three bumps. A-B-C with C the biggest.

I have a B though A would be the right size, I like to sit Indian-style sometimes. The ventilated/mesh is the BEST!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    I have a $50 coupon good (on amount over $150) at officedesigns.com if anyone needs it just holler. They have all sorts of stuff there.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    I was lucky enough to be completely surprised this Christmas. A friend of mine found a very nice used Aeron chair, with leather armrests too. I have had it about ten days now and I really am enjoying it and wonder why I did not buy one sooner. I guess there was that sticker shock I could not get around. My only difficulty is undoing the setup I had created to compensate for my old chairs un-ergonomic ways. So far it is a lot better and much cooler to sit it, hopefully summer will be more comfortable this year. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    and wonder why I did not buy one sooner.

Hmmm because you didn't LISTEN to me? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hmmm because you didn't LISTEN to me? lol3.gif

Even with 10% off they are still really expensive. :yikes
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Even with 10% off they are still really expensive. :yikes
    Yes, but this butt is worth it.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I used an Aeron at my old job and thought it was good. But I am a smaller guy and I think the size they had was one size up from what I really needed. Now I have a Freedom Chair in front of my computer and man, I love it. I look forward to sitting in it and then I don't want to get up. I have the model without the headrest.
  • Options
    Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Great question for this crowd! I went shopping 8 or 9 years and thought the Steelcase Criterion fit me better then the Herman Miller chairs. It also is indestructible! Sent it in for a checkup 2 years ago, no charge! None of these chairs are cheap, but your back and a lifetime warranty is worth it.
    You really have to try these chairs "on" before you buy!
    http://store.steelcase.com/articles.asp?id=124
    Fred
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    eek7.gifWhat a chair !!! eek7.gif
    aeron-carbon-wave-b.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I bought one of these chairs recently, it was very expensive but I decided the health of my back was worth it, my daughter likes it as well:-

121715166-M.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    I bought one of these chairs recently, it was very expensive but I decided the health of my back was worth it, my daughter likes it as well:-

Charlie

It's super great in high heat, that was my biggest peeve about the other chairs I used. Tried a Mirra the other day and didn't like it as much as the Aeron. Your daughter is adorable!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    You used to be able to get Aeron's on eBay for dirt cheap. It was THE way
    to tell which high tech companies would fail at one time lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    Good thread -- I need a new chair. :D
    Great question for this crowd! I went shopping 8 or 9 years and thought the Steelcase Criterion fit me better then the Herman Miller chairs. It also is indestructible! Sent it in for a checkup 2 years ago, no charge! None of these chairs are cheap, but your back and a lifetime warranty is worth it.
    You really have to try these chairs "on" before you buy!
    http://store.steelcase.com/articles.asp?id=124
    Fred

This chair appears to have the best armrests. Even the tilt looks to be adjustable, which is something that the Herman Millers don't appear to have. I think tilt is important to be able to set up things so that your forearms are completely and evenly support as close to your mouse and keyboard as possible. On the other hand, I like the mesh fabric of the Herman Miller. What to do....

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

121715166-M.jpg

Charlie

How cute is she! And what a Smug Mug!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Picked up mine last week!!! clap.gif

I love it!

BTW, got it locally used for $400. I think that is a pretty good rate.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    GrinGrin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2010
    i am using this and always recommend Aeron Chair for office or personal use.my chair is from http://www.aeron-chair.org/ i am using it from 4 years..u really have to try this.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    I finally got a some what similar chair... much comfortable
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    neda_zzz01neda_zzz01 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2010
    Ive one at my work, it's very good
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2010
    Moderator Emeritus