Options

SmugMug BETA RC2 - Jan 19th, 2007

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
New release is up, and should be faster and more reliable than ever. Give it a whirl, and if you're feeling adventurous, join the testing party.

If you're feeling historical, here's the thread for RC1, which has links to prior threads.

We're getting really really close now...

Don

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 20, 2007
    There is a known issue currently (as of 1am PST Saturday the 20th), with Safari and pagepicker. It will be fixed sometime Saturday, so no need to report that particular one.

Thanks!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Man it is looking great!!!!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    This is weird, may be nothing but thought I'd mention it. I was browsing around the all-time popular gallery on the beta site. I used the picker and jumped to a random page, turned out to be 20. The first image is of a bridge.

Then I jumped around a bit to different pages, and sometimes the bridge shot popped up briefly before the first image on the page did, then it got replaced by the proper image. Doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 10% of the time, and not just with the bridge either. Sometimes when you switch pages the large image on the right will briefly show some other image, then change to the large version of the upper-left thumb.ne_nau.gif

No big deal, but odd. I'm on FF and XP. I haven't really been following all the other threads, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Other than this nitpick I love the new version, the speed is tremendous and it looks nice and clean. You guys have done a great job with this.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    DJ,

I got the same thing. I was in popular, far into the pages...20, 30 pages in, and hit previous page to browse backwards, and a picture of a paramedic vehicle kept popping up before the proper image displayed.

Safari.

Oh, and yeah, that pagepicker IS funky in Safari!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I have originals off but the flyout now shows "save photo" and original in size
    picker. It wasn't there in RC1.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Al

Got a link, Al? Hard for us to debug without a link. :)

Don
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    DJ,

I got the same thing. I was in popular, far into the pages...20, 30 pages in, and hit previous page to browse backwards, and a picture of a paramedic vehicle kept popping up before the proper image displayed.

Safari.

Oh, and yeah, that pagepicker IS funky in Safari!

I can see this too after clicking around in the popular gallery. Eventually some image keeps briefly displaying before the correct image shows.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    handled via IRC and I've reported internally
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    Andy and Ivar confirmed on chat.
    http://atsmithbeta.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/76#2898
    Al
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    This is weird, may be nothing but thought I'd mention it. I was browsing around the all-time popular gallery on the beta site. I used the picker and jumped to a random page, turned out to be 20. The first image is of a bridge.

Then I jumped around a bit to different pages, and sometimes the bridge shot popped up briefly before the first image on the page did, then it got replaced by the proper image. Doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 10% of the time, and not just with the bridge either. Sometimes when you switch pages the large image on the right will briefly show some other image, then change to the large version of the upper-left thumb.ne_nau.gif

No big deal, but odd. I'm on FF and XP. I haven't really been following all the other threads, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Other than this nitpick I love the new version, the speed is tremendous and it looks nice and clean. You guys have done a great job with this.
    I see it on BETA but on our interal build it looks to be fine. Thanks for posting...
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Is the same thing causing issues with my slide show? I've been getting images that are not in my gallery....
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    The remaining styles, etc.
    When do the other styles (like journal) get addressed with the new functionality in the Beta?

Do our standard, power, pro sites automatically transform at some point to the new format? All at once? In stages? For some styles, but not others?

Just curious....especially the "when?" part.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    challenging the old saying about stupid questions
    I notice the new changes will 'detect' browser size...So....does that mean I can browse my smugmug on my MotoQ and Windows CE smartfone edition? Perviously I've been bookmarking actual photos on my site, but browsing through galleries was....no. Some styles would load thumbs, but only logged in and then all the style info was displayed out of its selection box as indivdual links. While it would be smokin cool to browse my smugmug on my Q I wouldn't call it absolutely neccesary.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    When do the other styles (like journal) get addressed with the new functionality in the Beta?
    Let us breathe after this release and then we'll see :D
    Do our standard, power, pro sites automatically transform at some point to the new format? All at once? In stages? For some styles, but not others?

nod.gif Have you duped your site on BETA? You can try it all right now - and you should thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    Is the same thing causing issues with my slide show? I've been getting images that are not in my gallery....
    slideshow on BETA? you have to change the actual JS Code, so don't worry about that, on the live site the slideshow hack will pull just fine from your gallery.

wave.gif April
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    slideshow on BETA? you have to change the actual JS Code, so don't worry about that, on the live site the slideshow hack will pull just fine from your gallery.

wave.gif April
    I have my slideshow buttons in the rational order,:D prev-pause-next, and
    tweaked the js to do it. Will the js be replaced for the new release?
    Al
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I just wanted to say how thrilled I am for whenever this upcoming release becomes finalized. I've been continually visiting people's beta galleries (not enough free time to try my own beta out lately, otherwise I would have) and all of the changes are well needed and great improvements to an already amazing service. All the more reason to move people to the smugmug world!! :) Keep up the great work guys!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    I just wanted to say how thrilled I am for whenever this upcoming release becomes finalized. I've been continually visiting people's beta galleries (not enough free time to try my own beta out lately, otherwise I would have) and all of the changes are well needed and great improvements to an already amazing service. All the more reason to move people to the smugmug world!! :) Keep up the great work guys!
    Thanks Shima :D

The kitchen is starting to smell really, really good :eat
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Al
    All fixed in latest BETA version :)bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    All fixed in latest BETA version :)bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    w00t!!clap.gifbarb
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    my screwy mouse button issue
    That wierdo mouse button issue I talked about in the RC1 thread here, has gotten "more interesting" in RC2. The steps to reproduce are the same, just replace step 8 as follows:

8. see #nnnn get appended to url, and nothing change

It behaves the same if you just hit ⌘-← on the keyboard. (which does history navigation for firefox.)

You can actually end up with a url like: http://cabbey.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/376#8477#8476#8476#8476#8476

by going to http://cabbey.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/376#8477
    and hitting ⌘-← a few times.

Camino reproduces the same behavior. Safari however, does not.

I've also reproduced this on a mac that doesn't have the logitech mouse software installed.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOORNING SMUGMUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll should keep looking naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    bump.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Zoom Thumb
    The zoomGalleryPhoto js variable isn't working for me. Delay, fade, photobar are working...
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    richW wrote:
    The zoomGalleryPhoto js variable isn't working for me. Delay, fade, photobar are working...
    rich, which one is that, lay it on me, and also a gallery link to your site
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    We disabled the preloading that is required for zoom thumbs to work, they will make a return, promise :)
    richW wrote:
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    This should be fixed for you Cabbey, hope you had fun shoveling :)
    cabbey wrote:
    That wierdo mouse button issue I talked about in the RC1 thread here, has gotten "more interesting" in RC2. The steps to reproduce are the same, just replace step 8 as follows:

8. see #nnnn get appended to url, and nothing change

It behaves the same if you just hit ?-? on the keyboard. (which does history navigation for firefox.)

You can actually end up with a url like: http://cabbey.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/376#8477#8476#8476#8476#8476

by going to http://cabbey.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/376#8477
    and hitting ?-? a few times.

Camino reproduces the same behavior. Safari however, does not.

I've also reproduced this on a mac that doesn't have the logitech mouse software installed.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    This should be fixed for you Cabbey, hope you had fun shoveling :)

Confirmed. thumb.gif Thanks! (and actually, it was kinda fun... mostly 'cause I was watching the neighbor's kids have fun in it while I was shoveling.... and it was beautiful weather to do it in.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    Fresh release as of about 7pm Sunday NY Time...
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    richW wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    rich, which one is that, lay it on me, and also a gallery link to your site
    Looks like JT answered it.
    {JT} wrote:
    We disabled the preloading that is required for zoom thumbs to work, they will make a return, promise :)
    Thanks guys, your doing a great job....
    http://richw.beta.smugmug.net/