An Old House, A Lighthouse, Some Flowers & A Fence

2»

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Awesome shot! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Do you remember when you were here? I'm not sure when anything blooms as the weather is always the same. I love the flowers in the foreground bowdown.gif

Dave

I was there in April of this year (2004).
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks David. I just noticed your in Thousand Oaks area. I've spent a lot of time in that general area a few years ago. I spent many sleepless nights installing and testing equipment at a Telecom site in Indio.

Do you get out into the deserts much for landscapes? I've always thought about making a weekend trip, but wouldn't know where to start.

When I was traveling, I usually had to get the work done & head down the road. There wasn't much time for exploring with our deadlines.

Dave

You're thinking maybe of Thousand Palms? That's a bit closer to Indio than I am, I'm halfway between LA and Santa Barbara. (well, not quite halfway).

I do want to get out and shoot some landscapes in the desert. I'd like to go out to Joshua Tree and see what there is to shoot. Last time I was out there was before the digital rennaissance in my photography. I was just shooting snaps.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    13411817-L.jpg

Love this shot!! The texture on the fence is great. I found the other two lighthouse shots somewhat unsettling. The distortion from the wide angle lens makes the lighthouse seem like it is falling to me! I have a D70 with the same lens and have noted the same distortion at the low end.

mitch
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    barrel distortion
    dkapp,

Your lighthouse got me interested in learning how to correct for distortion. I bought Panotools, and messed around with your shot, and also the perspective transform command in PS. Here's what I came up with. Hope you don't mind. Let me know what you think. No one knows your picture like you do. I'd be interested to hear how I did.

Note that this was just an exercise in learning. I love your shot.

13787131-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    dkapp,

Your lighthouse got me interested in learning how to correct for distortion. I bought Panotools, and messed around with your shot, and also the perspective transform command in PS. Here's what I came up with. Hope you don't mind. Let me know what you think. No one knows your picture like you do. I'd be interested to hear how I did.

Note that this was just an exercise in learning. I love your shot.

13787131-S.jpg

It looks real good David. I'll have to check into Panotools. Is that a Windows only application?

I am interested in your workflow.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    It looks real good David. I'll have to check into Panotools. Is that a Windows only application?

I am interested in your workflow.

Dave

It's a PS plug-in, cross platform.

What exactly are you interested in?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's a PS plug-in, cross platform.

What exactly are you interested in?

You said you used both panotools and perspective transform in PS. How much was done in panotools & perspective transform? I'm trying to figure out if I can duplicate this with more PS knowledge, or if I'm better off buying the other software.

How long did this take you?

Thanks again.
    Dave
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    You said you used both panotools and perspective transform in PS. How much was done in panotools & perspective transform? I'm trying to figure out if I can duplicate this with more PS knowledge, or if I'm better off buying the other software.

How long did this take you?

Thanks again.
    Dave

It took maybe 10 minutes. 7 was just trying to figure out what the heck I was doing. I got the bowing out of the lighthouse, but it was still leaning left, so I used transform>perspective and slid the top of the frame right in order to get the lighthouse more vertical.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out if I can duplicate this with more PS knowledge, or if I'm better off buying the other software.

You can demo Panotools for 15 days.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can demo Panotools for 15 days.

Thanks for the link, I'm looking at it now. For $50, its not too expensive.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the link, I'm looking at it now. For $50, its not too expensive.

Dave

I bought the plug-in for $40.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Super shots all of them!bowdown.gif Thanks for sharing!