Options

Merritt Island IV Florida Wildlife Shoot - 2/4-2/11

13»

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    REZNICK WORKSHOP UPDATE

I just spoke to Ron this afternoon and he told me that out of the 18 or so folks who expressed an interest in the workshop only 5 have sent in deposits.

Ron can not travel from the west coast to the east coast if only 5 people want to take the workshop. The break even point is 10 participants.

So if you want to take the workshop you must get off your duff and send your deposit to Ron ASAP. ASAP in this case means immediately not next week. Ron has to arrange to ship his gear, get a room, and airplane tickets. I have to find a space for the classroom portion of the training and this cannot be done w/o a minimum of 10 participants.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. I have no finanacial interest in this, in fact its easier on me if the training gets cancelled (one less thing I have to handle).

I just hate to see folks miss an opportunity. You have heard past workshop participants rave about the workshop and the results it produces. In this case you have the chance to take Ron's workshop w/o incurring the additional travel expenses that you would incur if you take it at a later date.
    If you want to do the training please get your deposit off immediately and PM me. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail, PM, or call me on the electical telephone.

The ball is in your court.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Here's the current list of attendees for MI IV. If your name is on the list and you are not coming please let me know via PM. If you are coming and your name isn't on this list please PM me.

MI IV Attendees

1. AlexF
    2. AndreasB
    3. aushutterbug
    4. Backdoctor
    5. Harry Behret
    6. Birdman Photographer
    7. Gale Bizet
    8. John Carroll
    9. Louis Champan
    10. Gary Chappel
    11. Ched
    12. The chemist
    13. BJCooper
    14. Donkolson
    15. Doorman
    16. Dragon300zx
    17. ebwest
    18. Flew
    19. GeeJay
    20. Genera
    21. Gluwater
    22. Steve Griffith
    23. Happyfish
    24. Bob Hoge
    25. Nan Hoge
    26. JenW
    27. The KO
    28. Gordon Large
    29. Mike Mac
    30. Makmel
    31. Marketvillagedad
    32. John Mohr
    33. Bill Newton
    34. Pathfinder
    35. Nightingale
    36. John Nuss
    37. PhilC
    38. Reggie
    39. Robin
    40. Kevin Scott
    41. Stanjano
    42. Jose Suro
    43. David Taylor
    44. Trish
    45. Txbonds
    46. Andy Williams?????
    47. Woundedmallard
    48. Yoza717
    49. Zanotti
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Well I just rented a 400mm f/5.6L prime for the trip. Now I just gotta figure out how to get it back down to florida with me... Guess I'll have to leave some of my stuff at home....

These last couple of weeks are going by really slow.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Well I just rented a 400mm f/5.6L prime for the trip. Now I just gotta figure out how to get it back down to florida with me... Guess I'll have to leave some of my stuff at home....

These last couple of weeks are going by really slow.

You could send it to me.....and save a bit on shipping. Then when you get here...I'll hand the lens over. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    You could send it to me.....and save a bit on shipping. Then when you get here...I'll hand the lens over. :D

That defeats the purpose of shipping it up to me. If I was gonna do that I could pick it up at their offices but they are only open during the week so....
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    Hi y'all,

Things are slowly shaping as the time draws nearer for the shoot.

The three main shooting locations will be the Viera and Orlando Wetlands and the Merritt Island NWR. I will have driving instructions from the motel for all three of these sites. Also the rookery at Gatorland in Orlando should be worth a trip (about an hours drive from the motel) on one of the days.

I will meet the Space Coast shooters in the breakfast area of the motel around 6:30 AM on 2/4 and we'll go from there. Ron will take care of the west coast contingent.

FOOD

I will hold a BBQ at my house Tuesday, 2/6 ( I will get driving instructions out to all who want to attend) from 6-9 PM. Space Coast shooters will have a shorter drive if they shoot at the Viera Wetlands that afternoon as its only a 15 minute drive from the wetlands to my house.

I will be serving up smoked baby back ribs and grilled burgers and hot dogs. They will be baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, and salad also. I will also have soda and Coronas on hand. If you want any other liquid refreshment please feel free to bring it along..There's no charge for BBQ the just bring your self, a smile, and your appetite. Pls PM me or E-mail if you're coming to the BBQ so I can get a count on how many folks I will be feeding.

On Wednesday I've made a group reservation at Dixie Crossroads for 7 PM.
    http://www.dixiecrossroads.com/

On Thursday I have reserved the banquet room at Charlie & Jakes BBQ & Brewery, 6300 North Wickham Road, Melbourne, Florida 32940 for us at 7 PM. Charlie and Jake's is closer to the Viera Wetlands so if you want to make this dinner I would end the day at the wetlands.

I haven't made any other reservations for the rest of the week. If anybody wants a group chow down on those days it should be easy enough to arrange during the day.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    few "housekeeping" items.

1. For the folks who will be on the east (Space) coast 2/4. I will meet y'all in the breakfast area of the Comfort Inn at 6:30 AM. We will head out from there probably to Merritt Island Blackpoint Drive. If you are arriving later in the day on 2/4 call me on my cell phone 917-703-3590 and I can tell you how to meet up with us. My home phone # is 321-639-7302

2. If you're coming to the BBQ on 2/6 please PM me so I can send you my address and driving instructions.

3. We have some fairly new shooters coming down to the shoot. It would be great if some of the more experienced shooters would volunteer to spend some time with the newer shooters and give them some assistance. If you are willing to mentor a shooter please PM me. If you would like some mentoring from a more experienced shooter please PM me and I will try to pair some folks off.

4. IF you have a cell phone please PM me your cell phone #. This will facilitate communications during the shoot. If you were at the shoot last year and your cell # hasn't changed don't send it to me because I still have last year's list of cell #s.

5. I will have driving instructions to all of the main shooting sites from the Comfort Inn. If you need a copy of them let me know when you see me down here and I will give you a copy of them.

Gosh its getting close.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    We have some fairly new shooters coming down to the shoot. It would be great if some of the more experienced shooters would volunteer to spend some time with the newer shooters and give them some assistance. If you are willing to mentor a shooter please PM me. If you would like some mentoring from a more experienced shooter please PM me and I will try to pair some folks off.

If she's cute, legal and single...I'm in for some mentoring. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    Be glad to help Harry, even if they shoot Nikon.:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I'm definitely coming on 2/4 and 2/5 since I don't work on those days. If I can manage to get Tuesday off I'll come to the BBQ and bring some of the free beer I get from work (2 cases a month...I love working for A-B! :D ).

Harry, I'll be calling you on Sunday because I don't plan on being there at 6:30. I'll probably be leaving my house around 7 a.m. Can't wait. I've never done anything like this so I'm excited. wings.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I need all the help I can get, I may need an entire team of mentors!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    I need all the help I can get, I may need an entire team of mentors!

Hey Nick,

When you are on the west coast talk to Andreas, the dude from British Columbia. He's a really good shooter and he had offered to do some mentoring on the shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I'm definitely coming on 2/4 and 2/5 since I don't work on those days. If I can manage to get Tuesday off I'll come to the BBQ and bring some of the free beer I get from work (2 cases a month...I love working for A-B! :D ).

Harry, I'll be calling you on Sunday because I don't plan on being there at 6:30. I'll probably be leaving my house around 7 a.m. Can't wait. I've never done anything like this so I'm excited. wings.gif

Free Beer from work!!!!!!! clap.gif :ivar cheerleader.gif That could get me unretired.
    I'll get you driving instructions to my place on the 4th or the 5th
    Harry
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Nick,

When you are on the west coast talk to Andreas, the dude from British Columbia. He's a really good shooter and he had offered to do some mentoring on the shoot.
    Will do Harry. I remember Andreas from last year, very nice guy.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Hi Y'all,

Just some basic weather info and other stuff.

West Coast temps should run from the mid 50s (night and early AM) to the mid and upper 70s. Sunrise 7:10 AM Sunset 6:10 PM

Space Coast temps should run from the low 50s to the low 70s.
    Sunrise 7 AM Sunset 6 PM

Its pretty dry down here in Feb so rain should not be an issue.

For you northerners I would recommend some sun block as the sun should be bright even though the temps won't be extreme.

Bug activity isn't high but having some repellent handy is usually a good idea.

There will be gators around but they normally run from humans. Remember I said normally, please don't try any macro shots with them. If you are going to shoot by some water you should check out your surroundings before you set up.

Fire ants are present at the Viera Wetlands and Blackpoint Drive. If you see a mound of dirt (small or large) that is usually a fire ant colony. Do not step on it or set up next to it. Fire ants are nasty and extremely aggressive. I once stepped on one of their mounds and couldn't walk for two days afterward.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    Haha. I'm ready, my 400mm just showed up. I can't wait to get on the plane.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    Haha. I'm ready, my 400mm just showed up. I can't wait to get on the plane.

Get out and test that puppy. I was out shooting with my rental toady. Was shooting the BIG BIRDS today. War Birds...that is. Was at the airport shooting the WWII bombers. Had a B-17 "flying fortress" and a B-24 "liberator" taking off and landing at the airport. I could have taken a ride in one if I had $430 . eek7.gif:D Got some good pics...as I was at the left side of the end of the runway...sun at my back. clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

Hope that lens flys, Gary. You are not missing much. It was 49* this morning...and only got up to 62*. Brrrrrr I"m ready to move South. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    Hope that lens flys, Gary. You are not missing much. It was 49* this morning...and only got up to 62*. Brrrrrr I"m ready to move South. :D

I'll take 62 over 23 any day of the week.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    What you can expect to shoot!
    I got the chance to swing by the Viera wetlands this afternoon...cranky, crying grandson in tow...but boy the skys were busy. Around 3 pm..crested caracara, eagle and hovering kingfisher all in the same vicinity at the same time....Now if I had just had some Big glass....rolleyes1.gif The eagle was waaayyyy up high and soaring, crested did a close flyby, and the kingfisher hovered close by for about 30 seconds! Not my best but wanted to get all of you excited!! Hope to meet up with all of you while you are here for MI IV

126041181-L.jpg

126041159-L.jpg

126041178-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    Trish323 wrote:
    I got the chance to swing by the Viera wetlands this afternoon...cranky, crying grandson in tow...but boy the skys were busy. Around 3 pm..crested caracara, eagle and hovering kingfisher all in the same vicinity at the same time....Now if I had just had some Big glass....rolleyes1.gif The eagle was waaayyyy up high and soaring, crested did a close flyby, and the kingfisher hovered close by for about 30 seconds! Not my best but wanted to get all of you excited!! Hope to meet up with all of you while you are here for MI IV

Love the KF and carcara BIFs. thumb.gif I've been wondering what's been going on there because I haven't been there since the merry maids visit.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    All you folks coming to the BBQ. My address is:

5960 Herons landing Drive, Viera, FL 32955

Mapquest provides the best driving instructions to my location.

My phone #s are home -321-639-7302 cell - 917-703-3590

I will have printed up driving instructions to my house from the motel and the Viera Wetlands so you can get them from me on the shoot.

West Coast shooters PM me if you need driving instructions. It would help if you could tell me what your starting point will be.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Hey y'all,

I've just spoken to the Florida Audobon Society's Center for Birds of Prey. I'm trying to arrange a tour and a photo shoot there of some of the raptors for Wednesday and Thursday morning for two groups of 8. If I can arrange it it will be a good op to get some close=ups of a few raptors.

It will start at 10 AM. They are about an 90 minute drive from the Comfort Inn. I figure we can shoot there in the AM break for lunch and then shoot at Gatorland's rookery in the afternoon (Gatorland is about a half an hour drive from the Audobon Center).

I'll see who's interested at the Tuesday BBQ or you can PM me.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    I've had a bit of a stomach issue for the past two days. If I don't feel 100% later I probly won't make Sunday. :cry Hopefully this will have cleared up by Monday.

Harry, I'll give you a call in the AM to find out where you guys are if I feel better.
    Jen

• Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I've had a bit of a stomach issue for the past two days. If I don't feel 100% later I probly won't make Sunday. :cry Hopefully this will have cleared up by Monday.

Harry, I'll give you a call in the AM to find out where you guys are if I feel better.

Feel better. The weather tomorrow is still iffy. There's still next weekend and the BBQ on Tuesday.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    For those of you planning to come to Orlando this week:

The Orange County Convention Center will host the 2007 International Home Builder’s Show from Wednesday, February 7 through Saturday, February 10. This show will have over 100,000 attendees who will be traveling in the area.

So plan your travel times accordingly, since 528 (the "Beachline") comes straight into the OCCC area.
    Jen