Options

MonsterPod

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited February 8, 2007 in Accessories
saw this today, in a magazine somewhere. I'm not planning on getting one, but was just curious if anyone has/uses one and what how well it 'sticks'?

http://www.monster-pod.com/

Comments

• Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    I have never used it but it looks like a neat idea.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    viscoelastic "morphing" polymers, eh?

No, seriously, that's the kind of stuff I study - viscoelastic fluids is right in my phd thesis title (yeah, I'm cool, I know lol3.gif). Mechanical adhesion is all about surface area. So basically, they're using a deformable, elastic material, think silly putty, that can get in to the tiniest little cracks just as well as it can into big cracks, and create a good "adhesion" force.

I just wonder how heavy it is. Some of our fancy "goo" can be pretty dense.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I just wonder how heavy it is. Some of our fancy "goo" can be pretty dense.
    monsterpod frontpage says 170 grams. (it's under the 'quick details' list, took me a while to find as well.... )
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    saw this today, in a magazine somewhere. I'm not planning on getting one, but was just curious if anyone has/uses one and what how well it 'sticks'?

http://www.monster-pod.com/
    You didn't see it at Photokina? It was pretty neat. Strong, too.

This and the Gorilla-pod are both cool
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You didn't see it at Photokina? It was pretty neat. Strong, too.

This and the Gorilla-pod are both cool
    Did we see it at Photokina? or did you see it before I was there? I was wondering how strong it was.

I do know the gorillapod actually, looks pretty cool.
  • Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Call me skeptical, but I think I'd have problems attaching a $5K camera body complete with a $2K lens to this thing and then hanging it all from a tree branch. Neat invention, but scary.
    Scotty
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Neat toy...
    Scotty_R wrote:
    Call me skeptical, but I think I'd have problems attaching a $5K camera body complete with a $2K lens to this thing and then hanging it all from a tree branch. Neat invention, but scary.

"Toy" being an operative word... All the "pods" I've seen and played with for the last few years and good for two things: get some some "ooohs" and "aaahs" from the boobs and maybe hold a subcompact long enough to get your extended family position themselves in front of it. None could hold 20D-like body with a mid-size even on the even surface. I can only imagine how Harry gonna use it with his 600mm..rolleyes1.gif

Another funny thing about these "pods" - most of them a suitable for ultra-compacts only, and the whole reason of having ultra-compact is to not carry a bunch of stuff with it. And those pods are fairly large (gorilla pod being the only one that is relatively small and sturdy enough to hold something like DSC-H5 steadily)

So, I'm with Scott on this one deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    Scotty and Nik: don't forget that there's a lot more "point & shooters" than us relative dslr snobs in here. You're evaluating a product based on the wrong set of needs/requirements.

Just sayin'

For example, let's look at my dear ol' mother:

balanced on the back seat of the motorcycle
    70512670-S.jpg

propped up in the middle of the road by the lens cap
    70513090-S.jpg

would she love the goo-pod? you betcha!
    Erik

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Erik,
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Scotty and Nik: don't forget that there's a lot more "point & shooters" than us relative dslr snobs in here. You're evaluating a product based on the wrong set of needs/requirements.

I thought I said just that: OK for mid and small P&S especially for subcompacts (although defy the compactness factor), no so good for larger P&S (Sony 828/R1 type), and not good at all for dslr with their large bodies and heavy long lenses...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    (although defy the compactness factor)
    a 170g (little bit more than a hamburger) flat disk isn't much extra to pack in your travel bag. ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    a 170g (little bit more than a hamburger) flat disk isn't much extra to pack in your travel bag. ne_nau.gif

*drool* mmmm - hambuger pod :eat :burger
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    The ad says it can hold up to 10oz for up to 10 minutes - just long enough for a compact digial camera to be set up and to activate the timer (also from the ad).
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac