Options

BW photo - Tinted using PS

TuesdayTuesday Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited February 23, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
This BW photo was tinted using Photoshop.
I just wanna squeeze those chubby lil cheeks.
:tuesday

02.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    Excellent! I gotta learn how to do that. What's the primary tool? ear.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent! I gotta learn how to do that. What's the primary tool? ear.gif
    I just use the overlay tool and adjust the opacity until its right.
    Pretty simple really.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    reallly verrry nnice!!

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Tuesday wrote:
    This BW photo was tinted using Photoshop.
    I just wanna squeeze those chubby lil cheeks.

02.jpg
  • Options
    Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    Wooow !! Very well done.
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    I saved that image to play around with and found something verrrry interesting. The thumbnail that shows up in the file details in XP folder shows a full color image, but when opened in irfanview, it shows exactly as you posted here. Here's a screen capture showing them side-by-side.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    FleasFleas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    Outstanding... I am amazed. Please do some more
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I saved that image to play around with and found something verrrry interesting. The thumbnail that shows up in the file details in XP folder shows a full color image, but when opened in irfanview, it shows exactly as you posted here. Here's a screen capture showing them side-by-side.
    Heh... I guess she has been busted :):

cmr% strings 02.jpg|more
    JFIF
    Exif

SONY
    CD MAVICA
    J5YHif
    2002:03:23 17:23:25

(So it was a color image that was made B/W as opposed to the other way and then possible recolored.)
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Well, I rarely take photos in BW mode.

I would rather take them in color and convert so I can have it both ways.
    cmr164: (So it was a color image that was made B/W as opposed to the other way and then possible recolored.)

I was not displaying the ability to convert a color image to BW.
    Instead, I was showing the ability to tint a bw image.
    But for you: Let me lay it down for ya:

The color image was converted to BW in photoshop. Then the BW image was tinted using the overlay tools.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Tuesday wrote:

The color image was converted to BW in photoshop. Then the BW image was tinted using the overlay tools.
    I have a lot to learn about photoshop (and gimp) I still haven't been able to get rid of imager dust spots in gimp yet even though that is one of the few things that I can do with photoshop. :(:
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I have a lot to learn about photoshop (and gimp) I still haven't been able to get rid of imager dust spots in gimp yet even though that is one of the few things that I can do with photoshop. :(:
    Photoshop I'm good at.
    What's gimp?
    Hey, I never claimed to know it all!

• Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Tuesday wrote:
    Photoshop I'm good at.
    What's gimp?
    Hey, I never claimed to know it all!

Gimp is the freeware replacement for Photoshop. I have Photoshop 7 on a WinXP box that I don't like to use. Have not yet purchased it for the Mac so I have Gimp on MacOSX/Solaris/Tru64 which are the O/Ses that I actually use.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Tuesday wrote:
    Which raises a question for me. What is the difference, if any, between shooting in B&W mode vs. converting to B&W (or grayscale) in post production?

I really like the tinting, Tuesday. It lends a very unique, arty touch to your photos. One more thing I'd like to play around with (which is the reason I downloaded your photo in the first place...to check it out a little closer). Really nice work.

I'm not even sure if I can get my 10D to shoot in B&W, although I can make my S400 do it. I guess it's time to RTFM.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Excellent question, Fish, I have often wondered the same. ear.gif

Hey Tuesday, could you walk me through the overlay process? I think I understand that you have a B&W layer and a color layer, and you're selecting how much of the color layer to show through. How are you controlling it?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Bump. Tuesday, inquiring minds want to know. ear.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Which raises a question for me. What is the difference, if any, between shooting in B&W mode vs. converting to B&W (or grayscale) in post production?

I really like the tinting, Tuesday. It lends a very unique, arty touch to your photos. One more thing I'd like to play around with (which is the reason I downloaded your photo in the first place...to check it out a little closer). Really nice work.

I'm not even sure if I can get my 10D to shoot in B&W, although I can make my S400 do it. I guess it's time to RTFM.
    Personally, I can't find a difference in shooting in BW mode or converting later. ne_nau.gif
    I like to convert so I can see the photo both ways.

(note: if your photo does not have enough contrast when converted to BW, try increasing the green levels before converting. It's like using a green filter. Works wonders on some photos)

Back to the question at hand.

After the photo has been converted to BW, I just choose the overlay tool, adjust the opacity (start low - try 10-15). Choose a shade of pink (for cheeks), and just paint over that area.

Since you are overlaying and the opacity level is low, you will not cover the photo that is there like you will if you use the airbrush tool alone.

This way, it will tint the photo without losing any of the shadows present in your photo.

Eyes, I did the same way, just chose a shade of blue.

It really is quite simple. I'm no rocket scientist.

I hope this makes sense.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    thumb.gif When I get home I'll try it. Thanks for answering.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif When I get home I'll try it. Thanks for answering.
    Good. Let us know how it goes.:D

• Options
    soupsoup Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    you have a lot more control over the BW tones, in general, by converting on the computer. you can edit color channels in monochrome seperatley, whereas - in camera just desaturates the color channels, you'd have to try it to beleive me.

try using the channel mixer ( click the monochrome box )- make the blue channel -20, red +60, and green +60

then mess with the sliders to see the variety of tonage you can acheive - not to mention if you arent out to shoot BW - its nice to have a color version too
  • Options
    StarLaughterStarLaughter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2004
    At the risk of sounding completely stupid (well at least very inexperienced with photoshop) what are the overlay tools, and where can one find them?

I searched help for info in Photoshop, that didn't really help. Is there somewhere where I can find more detailed explanation?

I loved the effect, would like to have a go at reproducing it, but am just going around in circles getting nowhere.

I have photoshop 7. I can normally do basic tasks, but I must be looking in the wrong spot for this......

Thanks
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2004
    At the risk of sounding completely stupid (well at least very inexperienced with photoshop) what are the overlay tools, and where can one find them?

I searched help for info in Photoshop, that didn't really help. Is there somewhere where I can find more detailed explanation?

I loved the effect, would like to have a go at reproducing it, but am just going around in circles getting nowhere.

I have photoshop 7. I can normally do basic tasks, but I must be looking in the wrong spot for this......

Thanks
    Once you create a layer, there's a box in the layer window that defaults to "normal". You know, like what none of us here are. Just click on the dropdown arrow and you'll see "overlay" amongst about a dozen other choices.
    M7
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    Welcome to dgrin, StarLaughter. clap.gif Show us yer work. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    Tuesday wrote:
    Personally, I can't find a difference in shooting in BW mode or converting later. ne_nau.gif
    I like to convert so I can see the photo both ways.

(note: if your photo does not have enough contrast when converted to BW, try increasing the green levels before converting. It's like using a green filter. Works wonders on some photos)

Back to the question at hand.

After the photo has been converted to BW, I just choose the overlay tool, adjust the opacity (start low - try 10-15). Choose a shade of pink (for cheeks), and just paint over that area.

Since you are overlaying and the opacity level is low, you will not cover the photo that is there like you will if you use the airbrush tool alone.

This way, it will tint the photo without losing any of the shadows present in your photo.

Eyes, I did the same way, just chose a shade of blue.

It really is quite simple. I'm no rocket scientist.

I hope this makes sense.

Hi Tuesday, lovely b and w pictures... I've been practising!!!! don't have a child to work on so grabbed what I had... not quite the same effect but such fun.. you do lovely work. Thanks for the tutorials bowdown.gif Lynn
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    this was before...