Options

Looking at a new camera

Josh125Josh125 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited March 2, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all - I'm looking to move up to an xti from my current P&S G5. I love the G5, no question. I'm trying to convince the wife we need to upgrade though. She is asking me why, to that I am saying it's a more robust camera that will capture cleaner pictures and give me more options. Ha, sounds OK?

My question is this. I'm on a somewhat limited budget, so glass is going to come slow. To the end, is there a piece I can get that will serve as a good staring lens to meet both my indoor and outdoor needs? I don't shot sports but enjoy taking landscape and "people" pics. The sigma 17-70 seems to get great reviews and would just about top out my budget with a body.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Stick with the kit for now
    If you're on a budget, don't worry about upgrading the lenses yet. The kit lens, though not L standard, is not a bad lens. It will be a great 'walk-around' lens, and will take great photographs.

I, too, am new to dSLR's. I bought my first in November--the XTi. I love it. So far I would recommend MAYBE one lens for you--the 'nifty 50', as it's called. It's a great portrait lens, fast, and easy to use. Amazon.com has it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/sr=8-1/qid=1172588007/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8231731-6501510?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Along with that, though, I HIGHLY recommend a battery grip. It makes the camera a bit easier to hold (for me at least) and doubles the life of the batteries.

Here without extra batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery-Canon-Digital-Rebel/dp/B000EDB1II/sr=1-4/qid=1172588149/ref=sr_1_4/104-8231731-6501510?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

And here with:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery-Grip-XT-Batteries/dp/B000G3KLPA/sr=1-3/qid=1172588149/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-8231731-6501510?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Speaking of batteries...I buy the generics off eBay. Instead of $30+ each, I spend $4 each, and have had no problems. In your search on eBay, just type in "XTi battery". You'll find hundreds.

HTH
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I started with the Sigma 17-70 and still use it as my walking around lens. I highly reccomend it. I have a Rebel XT and I don't see a compelling difference between the XT and XTi, so you could opt for the XT body and get yourself the extras that you may not be thinking about (extra batteries, CF cards, case/bag, monopod, etc.).

The main selling point for my graduation from P&S was control over aperture and shutter speed to get better pictures of my young son. The P&S was just not fast enough to capture him.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    Josh125 wrote:
    Hello all - I'm looking to move up to an xti from my current P&S G5. I love the G5, no question. I'm trying to convince the wife we need to upgrade though. She is asking me why, to that I am saying it's a more robust camera that will capture cleaner pictures and give me more options. Ha, sounds OK?

My question is this. I'm on a somewhat limited budget, so glass is going to come slow. To the end, is there a piece I can get that will serve as a good staring lens to meet both my indoor and outdoor needs? I don't shot sports but enjoy taking landscape and "people" pics. The sigma 17-70 seems to get great reviews and would just about top out my budget with a body.

Thoughts?

Actually, the Sigma 17-70mm, f/2.8-4.5 DC appears to have many desireable qualities, including price. I would suggest that the camera/lens combination you have chosen would serve you well, and cover many shooting situations.

Understand that, by itself, improving the camera and lens will not improve your photography. Many people are surprised to see that a dSLR can produce pretty crappy images, considering how much more they cost over the average consumer Point-n-Shoot.

The trick is learning new techniques and new skills, and that is where this photographic community comes in. We have many highly talented individuals, some have natural genius, who will be able to help improve your situation photographically.

I would suggest that your budget needs to include a decent flash unit. A good flash, properly used, can make "any" camera produce much better interior images.

At very least, I suggest the Sunpak 383 auto flash. It has tilt and swivel which, in conjunction with some inexpensive/DIY light modifiers and technique, will allow a level of magnitude better interior images, and valuable outdoor fill as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=52799&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    http://www.adorama.com/SU383.html?searchinfo=sunpak%20383&item_no=1

A much better unit is the Sigma EF-500 DG Super E-TTL, but that will impact your budget significantly.

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545e4435bc7319/shopdata/0020_Flashes/0010_Shoe+Mount+Flashes/product_details.shopscript?article=0180_Sigma%2BEF-500%2BDG%2BSuper%2BE-TTL%2BShoe%2BMount%2BFlash%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BEOS%2Bwith%2BE-TTL%2BII%2BOperation%2B%3D28SGEF500SUDCA%3D29

Even better is the EX series flashes from Canon, but now your budget goes completely awry:

Canon 580EX
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=348457&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
    http://www.adorama.com/CA580EXU.html?searchinfo=580ex&item_no=10

Canon 430EX
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=4658&A=details&Q=&sku=397664&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/CA430EXU.html?searchinfo=canon%20430ex&item_no=9

Anyway, good luck with your decision and purchase, and remember to share your experience and your images back here, at the Digital Grin.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    Josh125 wrote:

Thoughts?
    The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is an excellent value. Costs around $370 new and can frequently be found for $300 second hand. Lots of people on this forum use it. It's not very wide, but it's fast and has very good sharpness, color and contrast.

Good luck.
  • Options
    BCCBCC Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2007
    We have a Nikon D200 and D40. The D40, imo, is a great dslr that takes very good pictures, is easy to use and has an attractive price point with a lens for $600. Great sensor, especially for the price.

My wife likes the relatively small size and light weight. It's a personal thing.

It is true some of the older lenses are not fully compatible, but this shouldn't be and issue at all if this is your first slr.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Understand that, by itself, improving the camera and lens will not improve your photography. Many people are surprised to see that a dSLR can produce pretty crappy images, considering how much more they cost over the average consumer Point-n-Shoot.

The trick is learning new techniques and new skills, and that is where this photographic community comes in. We have many highly talented individuals, some have natural genius, who will be able to help improve your situation photographically.

Ziggy is soooooo right. I learned very quickly how to take awful pictures with my $1000 work of new gear. Get a few books and read about exposure and how the camera works. Most importantly, don't get frustrated in the beginning. There is a learning curve. Stick with it and you will improve.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the help and advise, I do appreciate it. The G5 has been a great camera to learn on and to be honest really hasn't limited me much at all. I would just like more options to further my development. I don't plan to go pro, ha, but would like to continue this as a great hobby.

Again, I do appreciate your help!

edit: With a new camera comes new gear, specifcally a bag. There seems to be soooo many bags out there to choose from. I looking for a light over the shoulder bag. Is there one that is a clear winner?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    I use a Tamrac holster bag. Fits just what I need and it isn't bulky. I have two of them actually.

I just made a deal for a 30D, so if you want a good price on a used XT (not XTi), PM me. :)
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Is there a particular reason why the G5 is letting you down?
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    The primary reason is the zoom, while 4x works most of the time it does limit me frequently.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    Josh125 wrote:
    The primary reason is the zoom, while 4x works most of the time it does limit me frequently.

Er, um, you realize that the Sigma 17-70mm, f/2.8-4.5 DC is also around a 4x zoom?

Reasons most digicam users are looking to upgrade to a dSLR:

To achieve the advantages of less image noise, especially at high ISO.
    More lens flexibility, at the expense of cost and convenience.
    Faster responsiveness of the system. (Starup time, shutter lag, viewfinder lag)
    Much better exposure control.
    RAW image file format for better post-processing.
    Optical viewfinder.

(Not necessarily in any order.)

There are still many advantages to a digicam as well. Buy whatever suits your "needs", not what suits you whims.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Yes indeed it is 4x, however I have options at the point!

....and let's be honest, it's a new toy :ivar
  • Options
    fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Not gear but it was a big help to me...
    Josh125 wrote:
    Yes indeed it is 4x, however I have options at the point!

....and let's be honest, it's a new toy :ivar

I know this is not gear and might not be as much fun :D
    However, Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital... By: Bryan Peterson proved to be an excellent resource when I switched from the Sony F707 to a dSLR.

Congrats on sticking to a budget clap.gif...

I have the Nikon D50 and the 18-55 lens and purchased both used for $400 (a few months ago) with minimal clicks on it. Purchasing the camera used might be an option opening up the possibility to purchase the lens you mentioned and stay within budget. (I recently added the 55-200 and hope to purchase the 50 mm 1.8).

Welcome to the exciting world of dSLRs... thumb.gif

frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com