Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    Very cool Nik, love the colors, lighting and swirl patterns thumb.gif

It's an honor hearing this from the King of The Kitchen! Thank you, Sire! bowdown.gif

So, Doug, which one do you like more: chilled glasses or the steaming kettle? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's an honor hearing this from the King of The Kitchen! Thank you, Sire! bowdown.gif

So, Doug, which one do you like more: chilled glasses or the steaming kettle? headscratch.gif

I like the steaming kettle better, the glasses were nice but the left glass with the fire above the glass didnt quite look right for me. Besides im working on a glass lol. will see how it works.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Dont take that the wrong way, i was just joking around by all means if you like the glasses better or reshoot please do.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    Dont take that the wrong way, i was just joking around by all means if you like the glasses better or reshoot please do.

I never had a single doubt that you were joking :-) deal.gif

The fact is, I'm undecided. Chilled... Steamy... Steamed... Chilling...

Here, in the SoCal version of the Wysteria Lane, we don't get neither Real Cold for the snow/ice (actually, it hit 90 today:-), nor any industry for the Real Steam. It's the 'burbs as far as you can see. Very,very nice to live deal.gif , but not many chances for dramatic photoops ne_nau.gif

So the only hurricane I can get would be in my glass :-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I never had a single doubt that you were joking :-) deal.gif

Here, in the SoCal version of the Wysteria Lane, we don't get neither Real Cold for the snow/ice (actually, it hit 90 today:-), nor any industry for the Real Steam. It's the 'burbs as far as you can see. Very,very nice to live deal.gif , but not many chances for dramatic photoops ne_nau.gif

Glad to hear it. Also glad to see no hurricanes in your area. None around here either thankfully. Not much of anything around here actually lol, just have to try to get creative or travel a bit sometimes for photo ops.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    Did ya really need to start another thread Nik? ne_nau.gif

I think your 1st image is much more interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Truth,
    truth wrote:
    Did ya really need to start another thread Nik? ne_nau.gif

I think your 1st image is much more interesting.

It's a different image, with a totally different subject...ne_nau.gif

Thanks for commenting! :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    This is done very well Nik, but maybe not as 'original' of an idea as your drink shot. The steam is very magical, though...I'm leaning to the first one slightly. I reserve the right to change my mind, however! :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    This is done very well Nik, but maybe not as 'original' of an idea as your drink shot. The steam is very magical, though...I'm leaning to the first one slightly. I reserve the right to change my mind, however! :D

Duly noted! :saurora
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nikolai, Just to confuse things, I'm going to say that the kettle is far better.
    And having just tried lighting steam, I can say with authority rolleyes1.gifthat that is very well lit.
    saurora wrote:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I love that shot. Very very cool.

BTW, it sure is hard to get the Chilled feeling here in SoCal right now. :D I'm just glad the housework is all inside at the moment.
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Here, in the SoCal version of the Wysteria Lane, we don't get either Real Cold for the snow/ice (actually, it hit 90 today:-), nor any industry for the Real Steam. It's the 'burbs as far as you can see. Very,very nice to live deal.gif , but not many chances for dramatic photoops ne_nau.gif

Well, snow & ice here isn't a problem, the harbour outside the window is a sheet of ice as for as the eye can see. Funny how photos of it don't look cold.

I'm voting for the kettle and puff of steam. I like the shot for it's beauty and simplicity. Very pretty to look at.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Yep. The steam. It is a literal interpretation, but beautifully executed. I love the lighting on both the steam and the spout of the kettle. Now could I borrow your drink photo? rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Adrian,
    adrian_k wrote:
    Nikolai, Just to confuse things, I'm going to say that the kettle is far better.
    And having just tried lighting steam, I can say with authority rolleyes1.gifthat that is very well lit.

Thank you for your feedback! thumb.gif
    Well, I can honestly say it took me about 40-50 shots in 3 sesssions to come out with this version, so, to your point, yes, it requires some work:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Chris,
    I love that shot. Very very cool.

BTW, it sure is hard to get the Chilled feeling here in SoCal right now. :D I'm just glad the housework is all inside at the moment.

Yeah, they say it was 94 yesterday and it was the record hot - again...eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Salazar,
    salazar wrote:
    Well, snow & ice here isn't a problem, the harbour outside the window is a sheet of ice as for as the eye can see. Funny how photos of it don't look cold.

I'm voting for the kettle and puff of steam. I like the shot for it's beauty and simplicity. Very pretty to look at.

Thank you for your opinion, I do appreciate it!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Yep. The steam. It is a literal interpretation, but beautifully executed. I love the lighting on both the steam and the spout of the kettle.

Thanks!
    Yes, this is my biggest concern for now with this shot: the literality of the interpretation. My biggest bet with it is the technical aspect, but we all know that technicality loses to artisticity more often than not...ne_nau.gif
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Now could I borrow your drink photo? rolleyes1.gif
    Virginia

rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Whaddayathink?
    Rank amateur here -- how in the heck did you do that? Muli-color lighting?

To answer your question -- what do I think? -- I think it's magnificent. But to your point Nikolai, I'd agree that it's technically magnificent as opposed to take-my-breath-away magnificent.

But then again, I'm the kind of guy who watches a magician and spends his entire time trying to figure our how the trick was done, as opposed to simply enjoying the magic.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Green,
    Rank amateur here -- how in the heck did you do that? Muli-color lighting?

To answer your question -- what do I think? -- I think it's magnificent. But to your point Nikolai, I'd agree that it's technically magnificent as opposed to take-my-breath-away magnificent.

But then again, I'm the kind of guy who watches a magician and spends his entire time trying to figure our how the trick was done, as opposed to simply enjoying the magic.

Thank you for you time and comments! thumb.gif

Well, let me say for now that the secret lies with curves mwink.gif

Enjoy the magic! mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif:Diloveyou.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    OK....just saw this
    Kind of cool Nik but it lacks that "got your attention and am keeping it" mood. I love the light and steam but something else needs to be in the frame enveloped by it or affected by it. You glasses shot was beautiful and a great contrast from hot to cold (hence, chilled/steamy).

My 3 cents worth (don't spend it all in one place) rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:
    Kind of cool Nik but it lacks that "got your attention and am keeping it" mood. I love the light and steam but something else needs to be in the frame enveloped by it or affected by it. You glasses shot was beautiful and a great contrast from hot to cold (hence, chilled/steamy).

My 3 cents worth (don't spend it all in one place) rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, appreciate the feedback! thumb.gifdeal.gif