Options

Women have softballs...

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited August 15, 2007 in Sports
.... not hardballs in college. :lol3

Tried my hand at shooting Georgia Tech softball on Saturday. I have great respect for shooters who anticipate where the action will be and are ready to capture it. I wonder if pros use burst mode or not? Trying to get a ball right before it disappears into the glove is almost impossible when the camera body is obscuring your free eye's vision, thus removing your ability to anticipate. :scratch

And getting happy reaction shots is a lot harder than I expected. In fact, I have none worth showing.

Here's the winning pitcher, one run allowed over 7 innings.

138414745-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    I wouldn't have been able to get this one if I hadn't been shooting in burst mode.

Setting the spot focus point for plays at first was also an interesting exercise. When I go back, I think I'll use the double spots just left of the center focus point. I had tried using the single point furthest to the left, but it was too far out.

138414743-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Trying to find clean backgrounds, with the sun at your back, can restrict where you can shoot from.

Other players, base coaches and umpires just plain get in the way!

138424953-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Very nice.

What lens did you use?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Wow you have some really great shots! thumb.gif I really like number two though, great action on it (love how the glove isn't closed yet). I shot softball for the first time a couple weeks ago and I always thought it was a slow sport, but wow, they move fast! You never have batters running to hit the ball in baseball! eek7.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Nice work, Sid. I think you done good. I know from shooting some Ultimate frisbee how hard it is to shoot a sport, and that it takes practice. For your first time out you did really well.

You may find that if you follow the basic pop tutorial that you can neutralize the slight orange cast you have on those images.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice work, Sid. I think you done good. I know from shooting some Ultimate frisbee how hard it is to shoot a sport, and that it takes practice. For your first time out you did really well.

You may find that if you follow the basic pop tutorial that you can neutralize the slight orange cast you have on those images.
    Thanks David. Both the camera and DPP preserved the warm cast, so I kept it.

But I did a second version of the pitcher using Canon's raw processor, and set black and white points in Levels. Probably a better result.

138519201-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    RTP wrote:
    Very nice.

What lens did you use?
    Not cheap! A Canon 300 f2.8. And the stands are right above the dugout, so the 300 (on a 1.3 crop body) was almost too much lens.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    UT Scott wrote:
    Wow you have some really great shots! thumb.gif I really like number two though, great action on it (love how the glove isn't closed yet). I shot softball for the first time a couple weeks ago and I always thought it was a slow sport, but wow, they move fast! You never have batters running to hit the ball in baseball! eek7.gif
    lol3.gif I know! As I said above, the 300 is basically too tight for a good batter's box shot. And then, all of a sudden, the women are running out of the frame!

I cropped off a bit of headroom here, but otherwise this was as loose as I could get on a batter.

138524535-M-0.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Nice one mate thumb.gif I just love seeing faces in any sport.
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    The third one is great, love the facial expression. What speed were you using to freeze the ball like that
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks David. Both the camera and DPP preserved the warm cast, so I kept it.

But I did a second version of the pitcher using Canon's raw processor, and set black and white points in Levels. Probably a better result.

I think it's better.

I don't know, but here's my theory: RAW conversions leave a cast that's hard to recover from in RAW software, easy to recover from in PS. I mean, I know you can, but it's just more trouble than it's worth, IMO. Somehow PS and the tools in it handle that stuff better.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    ed_h wrote:
    The third one is great, love the facial expression. What speed were you using to freeze the ball like that
    Ed
    Thanks. That was 1/8000. I set it to AV and f2.8, ISO 320 and let the camera handle the shutter speed. I knew it would be fast enough to freeze the action. I had intended to slow it down and try a few blur shots, but forgot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think it's better.

I don't know, but here's my theory: RAW conversions leave a cast that's hard to recover from in RAW software, easy to recover from in PS. I mean, I know you can, but it's just more trouble than it's worth, IMO. Somehow PS and the tools in it handle that stuff better.
    Interesting, thanks.

The yellow cast is a natural one, all of these were taken during the "golden hour." That's why I chose not to remove the cast.

In fact, I rather like it for this one.

138421532-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    These shots are great. I think you did very well on catching the action at peak moments. thumb.gif

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Very nice work Sid. I love that first shot!

I don't know how much pros rely on burst mode. I think more than anything it's having a feel for timing shots. I used to shoot sports for a student newspaper. One of the photogs I used to work with has gone on to become an award winning sports shooter. When we would cover the same events she would always have a lot more "perfectly timed" shots than I would. We were using cameras with roughly the same burst rate but she just had a much better sense of when to press the button. I think some of that was raw talent, but I think most of it was just lots and lots of experience.

If you stop and think about it, a baseball flying through the air at 40mph is covering around 60 feet a second. Even if you had a camera that could burst at 8 fps, the ball is going to travel around 7 feet per frame. In a tight shot, the ball could be out of the picture in one frame and in the glove the next.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Yeah, good point, Cletus. I have a few of those. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, good point, Cletus. I have a few of those. lol3.gif

You should go through some of my old neg sheets from my paper days :D
  • Options
    H e r bH e r b Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Nicely done. I'm still waiting on the sun to shine in Ohio to get some good shots like yours.
    Thanks for sharing

Herb
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    You know how sometimes you go through your old files and find a shot you should have processed?

This one.

180458320-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    excellent point Cletus....it's like equine photography...timing the right time in a horses stride to take the picture...each horse moves differently at different speeds...watching closely and timing it has cut down on a lot of bad shots for me....I am guessing that it's a similar thing with experiece comes fine tuning!
  • Options
    renay johnsonrenay johnson Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    You'll not see happy shots in softball. People take their softball seriously. Great action shots you have here.
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Sid,

I see nothing wrong with your photos. Great action shots. When I was younger (and could get down on the floor & back up) I shot some basketball games sitting next to a SI photographer. They get to the "scene" about a week early and set up. This particular photographer had about 6 cameras. He would move around some but would plug into the wires connected to strobes in the ceiling. He must have taken hundreds of photos (to my couple of rolls...back in the film days). Well, to make a long story short, when the magazine came out it had two photos of that game in it. So keep at it....you will always come out with some good and some bad.
  • Options
    m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Love girls ''sportsy'' pics! No wonder ESPN show this stuff. It's great! thumb.gif
    Alex Q.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    cdonovan wrote:
    ...it's like equine photography...timing the right time in a horses stride to take the picture...each horse moves differently at different speeds...

Not quite right cdonovan, not quite :D

IMG_5242-a750.jpg

BTW - I like your shots very much Sid ! Good job.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    those are great shots...knowing the game helps alot...you did an awesome job. clap.gif There are only so many places you can stand to get shots .
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    very impresive !
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Wow that is amazing stretch there on first base. Pretty awesome first base-girl! She's got that techique down to a "T" clap.gif
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Back when I coached ball the pitcher was not allowed to have both feet off the ground during the pitch- they would practice sliding the rear foot. I don't know if rules have recently changed- might be why noone can hit her.
    Great pics
    Gary
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    gchappel wrote:
    Back when I coached ball the pitcher was not allowed to have both feet off the ground during the pitch- they would practice sliding the rear foot. I don't know if rules have recently changed- might be why noone can hit her.
    Great pics
    Gary
    Interesting. I'll look at pics I have of other pitchers, see if their feet leave the ground too.
    Sid.
  • Options
    shiningstarsshiningstars Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    As a coach and a photographer, what you are talking about is called leaping! This girl is not leaping very bad. They are still suppose to drag the foot. It is against the rules but is not inforced much- except in little league All-Stars. I had a girl on my team this year who leaped a lot- at least 6 inches off the ground, her dad finally started working with her after we told him that they will call her on it in All-Stars. And it did knock some speed off her ball.
    Oh yeah, the only smiling pictures in softball are in between plays! This is a serious game and girls treat it that way! I got a great shot of the pitcher and catcher smiling after a talk on the mound! And several in the dugout!
    Love your pictures!