Options

B&H shopping cart, cookies, and more

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited April 11, 2007 in Flea Market
***mod edit: this was split from the B&H deal code thread, as a somewhat useful tangent***
photobug wrote:
OK, I answered my own question ... this morning I cycled through a few codes and got lucky and ran across this one ... code psjan07026 for this lens (at $1599).

And of course, free shipping for NAPP members ;-).
Im not happy with BH photo right now, I had a camera body and lens in my shopping cart with the discount code- and they must have emptied my cart.

I have been saving for this for a while, now I wont be able to even get it for that price. Why on earth would they empty the cart?
The body alone went up $50 .
:dunno
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    My guess would be that the shopping cart expires after a set amount of time.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:

I thought the same thing, so every few days or so I would go back to cart and check it.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    I thought the same thing, so every few days or so I would go back to cart and check it.
    They're also not accepting orders right now, it's Passover break for them.

rather than the cart, they have a wishlist option that I've used in the past for keeping track of stuff.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Im not happy with BH photo right now, I had a camera body and lens in my shopping cart with the discount code- and they must have emptied my cart.

I have been saving for this for a while, now I wont be able to even get it for that price. Why on earth would they empty the cart?
    ne_nau.gif

Just playing devils advocate here, but if you put stuff in a cart at Bob's Photo and came back in a month would you expect to still get it at that price? On the other hand, I didn't know you could do that at all at B&H, and will definitely do so in the future.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:
    It does ... everyone except Amazon seems to empty shopping carts way too soon for my taste. So of course Amazon ends up with more of my business...
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    A shopping cart is nothing more that a cookie stored locally on your machine. They can and do expire. Most are 30 days. You can look at the expiration date with your browser's tools options. Look for a filename with (usually) the company's or website's name and a .txt extension.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    A shopping cart is nothing more that a cookie stored locally on your machine. They can and do expire. Most are 30 days.
    Right -- but a shopping cart at Amazon is not just a cookie on your machine; it's different, it's kept at Amazon. It has a very, very long expiration period (if it expires at all). I've kept items in my Amazon shopping cart (or saved portion of the shopping cart) for probably a year without loss.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    Still, their history of your purchases at home base is tied to your account by looking for the presence of an active cookie on your machine. Remove the cookie, and they can't greet you by name upon main page visit until you log in. Its cookie driven either way (and possibly also kept in the .log file elsewhere as a hidden file).

Remember though, the main difference between places like B&H and Amazon is that Amazon, Google and Yahoo are all vying to rule the Earth and turn us into mindless zombie slaves. respect.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Remember though, the main difference between places like B&H and Amazon is that Amazon, Google and Yahoo are all vying to rule the Earth and turn us into mindless zombie slaves.

I for one welcome our new internet overlords.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    ***mod edit: this was split from the B&H deal code thread, as a somewhat useful tangent***

ne_nau.gif
    Oh just wait till Passover holidays are over, and see what happens.

If you have trouble, write to them, and tell them what happened. I've never, ever not known them to do the right thing. They're good people. The best in the photography retail world, period.
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Pamela wrote:

ne_nau.gif

that is normal for the cart...use the wish list, items stay there indef
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    If you are relying on a shopping cart to lock in a discounted price, you better find out how long the cart contents will be maintained. Comparing how B&H works to Amazon makes no sense. They are different companies with different policies. Just because they sell on the Internet does not mean they all use the same rules.

Like Andy said, give 'em a call after the holidays are over and I bet you'll be satisfied with their response.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Just research and put it in a wish list. I just searched and the price was the same ($1599)
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    A shopping cart is nothing more that a cookie stored locally on your machine. They can and do expire. Most are 30 days. You can look at the expiration date with your browser's tools options. Look for a filename with (usually) the company's or website's name and a .txt extension.
    Sorry, but this isn't true at all. A shopping cart is information that's stored in the vendor's database and associated with a user account. Implementing a shopping cart as a browser cookie would be a remarkably bad idea because it would tie your shopping cart to a single computer (and a single browser installation within that computer.) There are also practical problems in that cookies have a maximum size, and your shopping cart might exceed that size.

Cookies are most often used in eCommerce as a way to maintain session information so that your login persists between page views. These days, another technique called URL rewriting is used as an alternative technique to maintain sessions. So you can happily shop on either B&H or Amazon on a browser that has cookies completely disabled.

The reason shopping carts time out is a policy decision by the vendor. Shopping carts occupy server space and it's reasonable for a vendor to clean up abandoned shopping carts to reclaim server space. Plus, it's unreasonable to expect a vendor to honor a particular price on an item forever.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:

If you have trouble, write to them, and tell them what happened. I've never, ever not known them to do the right thing. They're good people. The best in the photography retail world, period.

Andy

I know your right.
    I have been working so hard to save for these items.

To set the record straight-

BH Photo is a very good company to do business with.
    I have been buying from them since 1992.
    Not once have I had any problems with them.
    As a matter of fact they are the only company I buy from.
    I dont want others to think differently, I was blowing off steam.:D
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    I am sorry we irked you. Let me know (via email) what you're after and I'll see if I can reconstitute the order for you w/codes.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Yeah, I think the post just above this validates Andy's claim!

Just have to echo-- it's amazing these days when a company can not only hold their own against amazon and the other internet overlords, but can still do it better and with real-life people who participate in forums. Dgrin isn't the only forum I've seen Henry helping folks out. Haven't ever seen amazon do that though...

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah, I think the post just above this validates Andy's claim!

Just have to echo-- it's amazing these days when a company can not only hold their own against amazon and the other internet overlords, but can still do it better and with real-life people who participate in forums. Dgrin isn't the only forum I've seen Henry helping folks out. Haven't ever seen amazon do that though...

I just bought my dSLR kit from B&H a couple weeks ago.
    Went to the store to see exactly what I wanted and what I was getting, ordered it online and had it shipped to the address I would be at in California.
    Overall I was fairly satisfied with the experience. Everything went off without a hitch.
    My only complaint would be the store experience itself. Whilst the store is absolutely incredible, the help I received was sub-par.
    The salesman seemed to care less for me or my sale. It's a VERY good thing that I went in with a good idea of what I wanted. Trying to get his opinion on my purchase was like sucking water from a stone, and the whole time I dealt with him, he was speaking to other people and doing other things around him (i.e. not giving me much attention).

Other than that, I was satisfied with the B&H experience.

Cheers
    Currently Using:
    body: canon 400d
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Henry... sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I had another irk-ish incident...
    I posted over at Fred Miranda.com
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/526215
    here's my post...

"So as you probably know B&H was closed for holidays. I check the site and it shows the Nikon 18-200 vr "IN STOCK" again during the holiday. So I load up my cart and wait... they reopen at 8:45 pm last night for internet orders so I pounce seconds after they reopen. In less than 60 seconds, more like 30 seconds, I hit the complete order button. And I get the red screen... "Item out of stock, Item has been removed from your cart."
    What the....???"

Any thoughts...
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    henryp wrote:
    I am sorry we irked you. Let me know (via email) what you're after and I'll see if I can reconstitute the order for you w/codes.
    I just got back from Driving 500 miles in a 24 hr period to find this reply.

eek7.gif OMG - Im so embarrassed!

Henry
    Im at a loss for words. I was a little steamed at the time .
    I have typed a paragraph 4 times and erased every one of them. I dont
    know what to say. I never thought about you seeing this. And needing sleep doesnt help my thoughts.

One thing before I go and get some sleep
    I take care of all photography at work including ordering equipment
    and never have had one problem with a order ( including ordering xmas gifts for employees). What a great success rate!

Thank you Henry

:D
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net