Options

If you had one lens....

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Accessories
If you could choose only one lens, what would it be? Say, you're shooting a variety of events.....weddings, sports, dance, portraits......etc.
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    If you could choose only one lens, what would it be? Say, you're shooting a variety of events.....weddings, sports, dance, portraits......etc.
    18-70 vr ;P, or 50mm prime.

If Canon, 17-85 is or 50mm prime.

Although most photogs would probably choose their Nikon 28-70 f/2.8, Canon 24-70 f/2.8, or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 :P.

Just some food for thought :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2007
    Thank you...
    Well, I have a Canon, and am on a budget for now, so the 17-85is is prime:D
    Mike02 wrote:
    18-70 vr ;P, or 50mm prime.

If Canon, 17-85 is or 50mm prime.

Although most photogs would probably choose their Nikon 28-70 f/2.8, Canon 24-70 f/2.8, or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 :P.

Just some food for thought :P.
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2007
    Canon's 24-105 f/4.0L IS or the 70-200 f/2.8L

Really depends what you think you'll be shooting more of. I could get by with only either lens.
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    24-205 f4L IS without a doubt.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Say, you're shooting a variety of events.....weddings, sports, dance, portraits......etc.

70-200 2.8 IS or non-IS.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Canon 28-300is.

nuff said.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Canon 50mm L f/1.0
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 12, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Canon 28-300is.

nuff said.

I'll second that.

-joel
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007

for what you mention ( you left out landscapes) I would choose amn 85mm FL

If you brought landscapes into the equation it woulsd have to be the 35L
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Canon 24-105L
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited April 13, 2007

If you need to restrict yourself to one lens, then you need to restrict your projects as well. There is no way that a single lens can cover every shooting situation.

IMHO, the critical range to cover for common events (using a 1.6x crop camera) is 18-50mm-ish. I do know a local pro that uses a Canon EF 24-105mm, f4L IS for school and portrait work, but they no longer do weddings. The first time you need a wide lens for a large wedding group, I think the 18-20mm range would become the obvious solution.

During the wedding ceremony, you usually won't use flash, so you need something fast. The 50mm, f1.8 is an inexpensive option, but the EF 50mm, f1.4 is that much better. This is a good length for the B&G plus pastor. It gives a pretty good working distance, so you don't have to invade the front of the sanctuary.

The Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L is pretty handy for the reception, if there are multiple things going on and you need the extra reach.

For portraiture, especially a single head-and-shoulders, a slight tele prime like the EF 85mm, f1.8, is pretty valuable. The 70-200mm can double for this role, but the prime has much better control over background. The EF 85mm, f1.2L is a great choice, but much, much more expensive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    For the most part one lens does restrict what you do, so the variety of subjects mentioned cannot be suitably treated. However, my first thought was the Bigma (50-500mm)--though rather slow for some situations, it does give a nice wiiiide range and has a pretty good reputation; I am just going on hearsay as I haven't even seen one in person as yet.

So, first choice would be the 70-200/2.8, second choice the 24-70/2.8. Really the 70-200 gets the job done for all of the tasks depending on how far back you can get (portraits could be difficult in restriucted space & tight close-ups will get tired after a while).

Now, I see these kind of threads pop up every now & then and always ask myself: what's the point of the question? The whole point of using a SLR body is for the interchangeable lenses optimized for the task at hand. If you don't have more than one lens in the bag, either you just bought the kit or are missing the point. Otherwise just stay with a P&S fixed lens camera and save the expense. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Assuming that this is all for enjoyment (non-paid) then for me ... it all depends on the camera. If I could only have one lens then definately a zoom.

Something in this range-
    For APS-C sensors - 17-55

For FF sensors - 24-70

Generally speaking, if you expect to be paid then you need additional lenses in order to justify the payment with the product. i.e. Weddings- one needs a variety of focal lengths and skill to deliver a typical wedding package and receive a typical wedding package compensation. If you chagre a typical rate and deliver less then you're ripping the customer off ... and conversely if you charge less then you better inform the customer to expect a lesser package.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    On the flip side of the coin ... one of the great pioneering photographers of all time, Henri Cartier-Bresson, nearly exclusively used only a 50mm lens (I believe that on occasion he used a w/a for landscapes.)

But I don't believe Cartier-Bresson ever did comissioned work ... but then again, I also believe he could shoot a wedding just with a 50mm.

So when you become as skilled as Cartier-Bresson, maybe one lens will do ya ... but till then all us lesser beings use a variety of lenses.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    24-70 f/2.8 L seems to be the one I grab most.

Fred
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    I guess I'll shoot for this one sometime - the $489 Tamron AF 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 XR Di II.
    Since at times I need to switch lenses, which isn't a quick task to accomplish.rolleyes1.gif

tamron18250-big.jpg
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    I shot for over 15 yrs with only 1 lens....weddings, portraits, concerts, celeb. golfing events.....a VIVATAR SERIES 1 70=210 .......YES there were times I wished it was a touch wider....but I just took a step backwards and that was all it took.....then it and my camera got stolen and was not insured.....so I had to start from scratch again and I thought that was scary until I decided to go digital a few yrs ago :D:D:D:D......now I have 1 lens per body, a 28-70 and 70-210 both 2.8 and SIGMA.

If I ever have to revert back to just one lens.....it will be the 70 - 210 (or 200 which ever Siggy is offering or which ever the camera mfg offers).......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Lens...
    Most people say that weeding photography can not be done with only one lens. I am very glad you shared the fact that it can. I don't have major bucks to spend on lenses just yet, so I need to make do with one, unfortunately. Right now I have a standard kit lens, and oddly enough, it seems to take some great, clear shots. :ivar

Art Scott wrote:
    I shot for over 15 yrs with only 1 lens....weddings, portraits, concerts, celeb. golfing events.....a VIVATAR SERIES 1 70=210 .......YES there were times I wished it was a touch wider....but I just took a step backwards and that was all it took.....then it and my camera got stolen and was not insured.....so I had to start from scratch again and I thought that was scary until I decided to go digital a few yrs ago :D:D:D:D......now I have 1 lens per body, a 28-70 and 70-210 both 2.8 and SIGMA.

If I ever have to revert back to just one lens.....it will be the 70 - 210 (or 200 which ever Siggy is offering or which ever the camera mfg offers).......................
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Since 4+ years perspective - 24-70/2.8L was installed on camera/s about 95% of work time.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Most people say that weeding photography can not be done with only one lens. I am very glad you shared the fact that it can. I don't have major bucks to spend on lenses just yet, so I need to make do with one, unfortunately. Right now I have a standard kit lens, and oddly enough, it seems to take some great, clear shots. :ivar

Years ago, I used to use a Mamiya C330 with an 80mm (standard) lens for all formal shots. Later, I added a Hasselblad 500C with a Planar 120mm for some portrait shots. The reception was almost always shot with a 35mm camera and a few lenses (Pentax at first and later a Canon AE1 Program).

Now the requirements have changed and most B&Gs want dozens of formals, from 1-2 shots to large group, and then hundreds of candids. I just can't imagine being efficient with a single lens.

The Canon "kit" lens, EF-S 18-55mm, f3.5-f5.6, is not an absolutely horrible lens, and my two copies are sharper at their wide position, which is where I prefer. Used at 18mm and f5.6 or 55mm at f8, it can produce pretty nice results. The problem is when you need to use it wide open, as in available light shots. I just don't like the results at all.

One thing I must stress is that shooting a wedding is an extremely serious affair. With many shots you literally get one chance to get it right. Shooting with a single camera and a single lens is not a good strategy, and if anything goes wrong, it can cost both your reputation and your bankroll.

Always have redundancy and backup. Film cameras can still be viable, as well as some advanced digicams (the Sony f828 was a fairly popular wedding camera because it could focus accurately in little to no light, and it had the fastest lens in its class.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I've really come to appreciate how the right tool can make all the difference.

We all pay lip service to the notion that it's not the camera, it's shooter. And it's true. However, the right tool can permit you to get a shot you might not otherwise be able to achieve.

It's top of my mind because in the last week I've shot softball with a pricey long lens that delivered great bokeh, something a less pricey lens wouldn't have been able to give me. And I've made a stadium shot that only a fisheye could deliver.

I guess I'm trying to say that while a good photographer can deliver good work with any equipment, some effects can only be achieved with specific gear. At least, that's how I see it.

So, if you have a job, you need to make sure you have the right tools for that job.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I'm shopping for a lens similar to what you are talking about . At the last wedding I moved my 18-200VR lens onto the D50 and put the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on my D80 . I very quickly moved the 18-200 back onto my D80 because the 28-75 wasn't wide enough . Now I want to get a faster zoom with less range to mainatin quality and am looking at the 17-55 , 18-50 range of Sigma , tamron etc. with constant f2.8 . You can always crop a picture especially when you have a few megapixels to throw away but you can't change a tele shot to wide angle . Maybe someone can suggest the right lens for me ? I will open a separate thread for this .....
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    rjpat wrote:
    24-205 f4L IS without a doubt.

yup. on a full frame camera this is definitely the best choice.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    I just got back from a wedding in Auckland and realy loved the performance of my new Tamron 17-50 2.8 !
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you need to restrict yourself to one lens, then you need to restrict your projects as well. There is no way that a single lens can cover every shooting situation.

I know what you mean ziggy, but Cartier-Bresson shot with one lens.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    damonff wrote:
    I know what you mean ziggy, but Cartier-Bresson shot with one lens.

... and he was very selective with his projects. There is much he did not do, but by concentrating and focussing his attention to a singular task, he is remembered as possibly the best photojournalist that ever lived (certainly he is listed among the first).

That need not diminish the respect other photographers are due for their own contributions to modern photography, much of which "is" accomplished with zoom lenses.

Henri also never did his own processing, never used flash and he only shot B&W film. Does anyone suggest those same restrictions for their efforts today?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    CashieCashie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2007
    As Davev says, the 28-300 IS it's absolutely superb! at any focal length deal.gif