Options

Feedback request - advert postcard

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 26, 2005 in Finishing School
I am working on a postcard for our soccer organization to mail out to encourage kids to come out for tryouts. So far, I am here:
14745517-M.jpg

I have to try to hook up with an older boys team ASAP to get a photo for the left corner.
In general, how am I doing with layout? What about color selections and the photos?

I'd love some feedbck - I'm not terribly experienced at this.

ann

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Looks GREAT to me!!
    I'd say you have a GREAT start! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Ann,

how about a soccer field faded into the back instead of the blue? I like the setup though :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Ann, nice ideas. Here's something I've held onto from a course I took by an advertising agency owner in SF.

Posters and print ads thrive on simplicity. Figure out the message/solicitation and the most effective creative for delivering it. Then keep the visual presentation simple. There should be a dominant thing that is the primary draw for the eye - could be a photo, could be a headline. Everything else is subervient to that one big thing. Ditto with words on the image - a primary message should be bigger, all else smaller. The fewer words the better, as folks don't like to read much.

Those are the basics, other than figuring out the most powerful selling message you can (needs to appeal to the reader's self interest.)

Hope this helps, I often think about it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Karz wrote:
    I'd say you have a GREAT start! thumb.gif
    Thanks, Karz.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ann,

how about a soccer field faded into the back instead of the blue? I like the setup though :D
    Hi Michiel

That is a good idea. When I read it, I thought top view of a field. My dh thought side view of a stadium, showing a crowd.

What were you thinking? I'd need to find a clip art on line for that though, as I do not have one of my own.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ann, nice ideas. Here's something I've held onto from a course I took by an advertising agency owner in SF.

Posters and print ads thrive on simplicity. Figure out the message/solicitation and the most effective creative for delivering it. Then keep the visual presentation simple. There should be a dominant thing that is the primary draw for the eye - could be a photo, could be a headline. Everything else is subervient to that one big thing. Ditto with words on the image - a primary message should be bigger, all else smaller. The fewer words the better, as folks don't like to read much.

Those are the basics, other than figuring out the most powerful selling message you can (needs to appeal to the reader's self interest.)

Hope this helps, I often think about it.
    Hi wxwax

This is very wise advice. I am being directed by a pair of committee members (that frequently change their minds). The primary thing they wanted was lots of colorful action pics - thinking that would be a good draw. They did not want any empty space - but maybe I should make something with just one photo and the catch phrase and see if they like that. They are trying to emphasize fun and good competition.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    What were you thinking? I'd need to find a clip art on line for that though, as I do not have one of my own.

ann
    :D go get yourself dirty girl!! rolleyes1.gif I was thinking of a picture from the middle-point of the field (don't know the exact term in english) from the ground, so you'll be lying on your side (in the width of the field), or perhaps your belly (in the length of the field) and take a picture with the goal in the bokeh, so focus at the outer circle from the middle (am I making sense?) I think that'll give you a scene that is both relevant and easy on the eyes! You might also try focussing at the goal or the 16m outer bounds (that's what we call it in the Netherlands, the 16m area, that's the area around the goal that has a line around it)
    Hope I was making sense, as I don't know your linguistics on soccer fields :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I am working on a postcard for our soccer organization to mail out to encourage kids to come out for tryouts. So far, I am here:

I have to try to hook up with an older boys team ASAP to get a photo for the left corner.
    In general, how am I doing with layout? What about color selections and the photos?

I'd love some feedbck - I'm not terribly experienced at this.

ann
    The pictures are nice, I especially like the fact that there's a bit of a focus on girls too, not just boys. But you've got too many different types going on. You've got 3 different typefaces in 3 different colours. I think that might be a bit distracting. I would make it a little less busy. You don't really know where to look.

Just my 2c
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    :D go get yourself dirty girl!! rolleyes1.gif I was thinking of a picture from the middle-point of the field (don't know the exact term in english) from the ground, so you'll be lying on your side (in the width of the field), or perhaps your belly (in the length of the field) and take a picture with the goal in the bokeh, so focus at the outer circle from the middle (am I making sense?) I think that'll give you a scene that is both relevant and easy on the eyes! You might also try focussing at the goal or the 16m outer bounds (that's what we call it in the Netherlands, the 16m area, that's the area around the goal that has a line around it)
    Hope I was making sense, as I don't know your linguistics on soccer fields :D
    But Michiel - all outdoor fields are under 2 feet of snow! That won't be happening for several months!
    I do understand your idea though, and will probably use it this spring!
    16m area we call the 18 yard line or box. Anyone with a hockey background mistakenly calls it the goal crease, and I've heard a football person refer to it as the hash line..........

ann
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    The penalty box. As in goooooooool!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    The pictures are nice, I especially like the fact that there's a bit of a focus on girls too, not just boys. But you've got too many different types going on. You've got 3 different typefaces in 3 different colours. I think that might be a bit distracting. I would make it a little less busy. You don't really know where to look.

Just my 2c
    Thanks Yvonne - I am trying to do something simpler (see next post)

ann
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Todays version:

14800867-M.jpg

Simpler.
    I know I want to change the text color - but the message is right there, plain and simple. (Who & What anyway)

I like the blue background and the washed photos. I find the color striking and interesting.

One committee member does not like the dark background, but likes the simplicity of design.
    One committtee member does not like the photos - and thinks the emphasis is too much on 'fun'. But then relents that that may be the right target.
    One committee member just says 'I don't like it'.

Any pointers or feedback from you guys?

ann
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    But Michiel - all outdoor fields are under 2 feet of snow! That won't be happening for several months!
    I do understand your idea though, and will probably use it this spring!
    16m area we call the 18 yard line or box. Anyone with a hockey background mistakenly calls it the goal crease, and I've heard a football person refer to it as the hash line..........

ann

This is just a thought (our feilds are under snow too) but would there be any problem with another dgrinner shooting a feild near them in a warm climate and letting you use them?

I think the blue background in the last version is a bit loud.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Any pointers or feedback from you guys?

ann

Just one, but it's very broad: a lot of things are the same size, both the pics and the fonts.

What is it you want me to see and read first? Whatever you answer, make those things dominate the poster, in my humble opinion.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    For me it was Sting that dominated :D It really jumped at me, the rest was simply 'not there' at first glance
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    This is just a thought (our feilds are under snow too) but would there be any problem with another dgrinner shooting a feild near them in a warm climate and letting you use them?

I think the blue background in the last version is a bit loud.
    I agree about the blue!
    Ann, I might be able to get a shot on a soccer field this weekend, let me know if you're interested!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Wednesday's version
    I've tried to put together all of this great advise, along with the comments from the people that asked me to do this. This has led me to this point - 2 versions:

14842363-M.jpg

14842364-M.jpg

The purpose is to attract new players to this specific organization (SW Sting), with the idea that high level competition can be fun.

Am I there yet?
    Well, not quite - I see I've misspelled Southwest. :uhoh :cry

ann
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    I agree about the blue!
    Ann, I might be able to get a shot on a soccer field this weekend, let me know if you're interested!!!
    Hi, Thanks, Michiel

My deadline for this is supposed to be Friday. I love the idea of using a soccer field as backdrop - for team pics too. Do not go out of your way to get one, but if you can at some point, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

ann