bag decisions - Mini Trekker?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Accessories
As much as I'd like a Crumpler, the budget is making me decide between the Lowepro Mini Trekker and the Lowepro Slingshot 200. I'm leaning towards the Mini, just because it looks like it would hold all my current gear plus some future gear. The Slingshot looks like a good idea, but I wonder if it's really that comfortable (or more comfortable than the Mini) wearing it most of a day? Anybody ever used/tried both?

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    <snip>
    the Lowepro Slingshot 200.
    <snip>
    The Slingshot looks like a good idea, but I wonder if it's really that comfortable (or more comfortable than the Mini) wearing it most of a day?
    Anybody ever used/tried both?

Hi Elaine,

I have the smaller Slingshot (100?). I took it with me on my trip to Africa and found that it was comfortable to carry. The ability to access the camera compartment without having to take it off was great. And I found it very comfortable to carry as a sling.

The only problem that I have with my Slingshot is it's size. I like the smaller size for the way that it fits, however it's very limiting in how many lenses you can carry. Basically, it's good for a day trip where you will only be bringing one or two extra lenses (depending on the lens size). I have a Canon 30D and a variety of lenses and had to do some very creative packing to get everything to fit. I also had to pull out most of the compartment pieces that were included since they were stiff and took up much of the precious room. I ended up using some strips of polar fleece to wrap around and cushion my equipment.

The larger sized sling would probably answer some of the storage size problems - but then the question of wearability arises. You'll probably only be able to judge by trying it on.

:) Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    You don't list you gear, Elaine. But I have a mini-trekker and think it's a pretty good bag. If the size is right, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    meewolfie wrote:
    Hi Elaine,

I have the smaller Slingshot (100?). I took it with me on my trip to Africa and found that it was comfortable to carry. The ability to access the camera compartment without having to take it off was great. And I found it very comfortable to carry as a sling.

The only problem that I have with my Slingshot is it's size. I like the smaller size for the way that it fits, however it's very limiting in how many lenses you can carry. Basically, it's good for a day trip where you will only be bringing one or two extra lenses (depending on the lens size). I have a Canon 30D and a variety of lenses and had to do some very creative packing to get everything to fit. I also had to pull out most of the compartment pieces that were included since they were stiff and took up much of the precious room. I ended up using some strips of polar fleece to wrap around and cushion my equipment.

The larger sized sling would probably answer some of the storage size problems - but then the question of wearability arises. You'll probably only be able to judge by trying it on.

:) Mary

That's good to know, Mary! And I think you're right...I need to try one on.

Elaine
    Elaine

edited April 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You don't list you gear, Elaine. But I have a mini-trekker and think it's a pretty good bag. If the size is right, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have one DSLR body and 5 lenses (smallest is the 50mm f/1.7 and the largest is a 70-210 f/4 tank), although I usually only carry 4 of them...the 5th one is a kit lens and even though it's my widest at 18mm, I usually use the 28-75 f/2.8 instead. I hope to get a flash, wide angle and a longer zoom someday. Then, of course, there is the extra battery and charger, a filter wallet, memory cards, etc... I'm hoping there's a bit of extra space to use for things like my glasses and wallet. I'm pretty sure all this will fit in the mini, now it's just a matter of wanting to wear the thing all day!

Elaine
    Elaine

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Elaine...if you can get you hand on a slingshoot 300 take a look at it...there is ansd Ebay seller (SELL N SEND) that has had them for around $100....mcuh more roomy than the slingshot 200.....would give room to grow also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Elaine...if you can get you hand on a slingshoot 300 take a look at it...there is ansd Ebay seller (SELL N SEND) that has had them for around $100....mcuh more roomy than the slingshot 200.....would give room to grow also.

Do you think that the larger one would become too cumbersome for the "slingshot" style to be effective (too heavy for one shoulder, too large to swing around your body)? That was my concern with going larger than the 200. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get to go look at one in person.
    The e-bay seller you mentioned was the one that I was looking at for both styles of bags.thumb.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

• TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    You can find the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home for $99. I got it for that in my local camera shop. Personally, the Crumpler is a much better and much more versatile bag than the Slingshot or Trekker, but to each their own.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited April 13, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    You can find the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home for $99. I got it for that in my local camera shop. Personally, the Crumpler is a much better and much more versatile bag than the Slingshot or Trekker, but to each their own.

I'm willing to hear more about the Crumpler bag. :D To be honest, I wasn't even considering a Crumpler that wasn't more of a back-pack style. I traveled for three weeks in Japan a few years ago, carrying a small shoulder type bag stuffed with my travel guide, water, P&S camera and film, journal, etc...and it just about killed me. I sooo wished I had a backpack instead! Are the Crumpler bags meant to be worn across the body like messenger bags? I can't tell from their website.
    Elaine

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Check out this link...might help ne_nau.gif
    I am not a big fan of Crumpler..I mean they do have the coolness factor but woopee.headscratch.gif

Fred
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I traveled for three weeks in Japan a few years ago, carrying a small shoulder type bag stuffed with my travel guide, water, P&S camera and film, journal, etc...and it just about killed me. I sooo wished I had a backpack instead!

I've never tried a slingshot, so I don't know if it's better than the average shoulder bag. But I have walked around with a shoulder bag and a heavy pro body with three lenses, and like you, had a rough time of it.

The upside to a backpack is comfort. The downside is easy access.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 14, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Check out this link...might help ne_nau.gif
    I am not a big fan of Crumpler..I mean they do have the coolness factor but woopee.headscratch.gif

Fred

Thanks, Fred! Great, detailed review you did there. Now I know for sure I would want the Mini, rather than the Micro, which I looked at on-line today. I don't want to fill up a new bag as soon as I get it! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    This what you NEED!:D http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43413
    Yep, your life will be complete once you own this bag.wings.gif
    It's a bargain!deal.gif
    edited April 14, 2007
    Khaos wrote:
    This what you NEED!:D http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43413
    Yep, your life will be complete once you own this bag.wings.gif
    It's a bargain!deal.gif

Thanks! But...that's a little more bag than I need, and it's out of my budget. Sorry!

E
    Elaine

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    I have used the mini trekker and personally I do not like it. I used it on a couple hikes and the bag kept hitting be in the middle of the back- there is no lumbar support and I am use to larger bags resting on my hips.

It is barely big enough for what you are going to carry but does not allow you the room to grow and to me it is not very comfortable and doesn't have much room for additional things- snacks- jacket- etc.

I have learned- buy more than what you need right now because you are going to get more stuff. Made that mistake with the backpack and the shoulder bag- looking for bigger ones of each.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • adamsfotoadamsfoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2007
    Hey Elaine,

I own and use both a MINI TREKKER CLASSIC and a SLINGSHOT 100. I Find uses for both. I must say a prefer the feel of the Slingshot went totin' gear allot more and find the convenience of instant access to camera HUGE when traveling. Now, you will have to take it off your person to access much of your gear anyway, so that usefulness only really works when you have the lens you'll be using primarily mounted to body and the second most used in the top compartment. I took this pack for two weeks across Europe and loved it. Again this is the 100 and here's what i stuffed in it:

1 D70 w/18-70 mounted
    1 D100 w/vert grip (no lens attached)
    1 SB-600
    1 50mm f/1.8
    1 70-300 VR
    2 extra batteries
    Cards, remote, etc.

Downfall of design. After long hikes you'll start leaning to the side, it's hard on one shoulder. Easy fix --> sling another bag, purse, etc across the other shoulder to balance you out. In my case i took Lowepro's Utility Case with another lens 60mm Macro and Cokin Filter Stuffs. I could even get it to "hang" below the 100 on my back. Another benefit, you can fit a monopod in the Slip Lock loop on the side!!

Okay, for the Mini Trekker Classic

I fit

D70, D100, N90s, SB-800, SB-600, 50mm, 18-70mm, 70-300, 80-200 f/2.8, 60mm Macro filters, card cases, battery cases and testers, small roof prism binocs, and even my Camera Flip Stroboframe in the front pocket, i'm forgettin stuff too i'm sure, but it is stuffed.

Downfall, It's really friggin' heavy with all that gear and i've pretty much worn down the padding in the shoulder straps.

Hope that helps!

cheers,
    paul
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    As much as I'd like a Crumpler, the budget is making me decide between the Lowepro Mini Trekker and the Lowepro Slingshot 200.
    I did a mini-review a while back on why I'm not overly impressed with the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. Link Here

The bottom line is that if function is more important than form, you're better off with Lowepro.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I use the mini trekker and find it extremely comfortable, flexible to fit lots of gear, and all weather capable. I love it.