Options

Auschwitz-Birkenau

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited January 27, 2005 in The Big Picture
Today at 13:30GMT an unprecedented memorial ceremony will take place at the site of the extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau (Poland). Exactly 60 years ago today the Red-Army marched into the camp marking the beginning of the end of the Nazi murder regime exemplified in the following:

6050866-M.jpg

In July 2004 I was there. Words cannot describe the horrors that become so vivid as you quietly walk the gravel paths between barracks, gas chambers and crematoriums – the quiet and sanctity amplify the sound of our feet and our steps.

Tears were difficult to hold back at an exhibition of personal photographs confiscated from inmates upon their arrival to the camp.

6090081-M.jpg

6050845-M.jpg

These have been shown before but for anyone interested – photos from Auschwitz and the full travel journal of my expedition to discovery.

“Never again!”
6386581-S.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Thankyou for the photos...no words cover those feelings. The 2nd last shot was very sad...hard to look at the children & stay dry eyed.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    One of the most intense experiences of my life was a visit to Auswitsch-Birkenau.. I had just begun with photography so excuse my humble attempt:
    21628935.jpgoriginal.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/giel/image/21628935/original
    (the picture doesn't show, so I'll include the url only rolleyes1.gif)
    Imagine that this is is but a small part of the entire camp where, during the war, at one time there were 250.000 people gathered, like sheep in small penns.. It is so sad and overwhelming to be there.... :cry
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl