Options

ANZAC Day

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited April 28, 2007 in People
Hi all,

Haven't posted in awhile - been busy moving.

Here are a few shots of the ANZAC day march in Adelaide. They're getting older now, but still march with pride. ANZAC day is a very big day in Oz. Hundreds of thousands of people around the country get up to attend a dawn service. After that there is the 'gunners breakfast' (bacon and eggs with coffee or tea (the tea/coffee usually has a nip or two of rum or brandy!)

At about 9 am there are marches through the streets. What a great day!!

This verse from Laurance Binyon's "The Fallen" is read at the dawn service and is one of the most moving things I've heard. After this a lone bugler plays "The last post"

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

147460154-M.jpg

147459652-M.jpg

147458414-M.jpg

147458321-M.jpg

147444296-M.jpg

147458453-M.jpg

Lest we forget
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    eek7.gif Whaaat? No peace activists and protesters? Thank god for ANZAC. bsvirginian
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    eek7.gif Whaaat? No peace activists and protesters? Thank god for ANZAC. bsvirginian
    Waaaay to many ex servicemen standing in the crowd to allow that.rolleyes1.gif Not that there has ever been a protest that i know of.

Great shots chris. Love that last one.
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Thanks Gus.

bsvirginian. It is amazing that we rarely get protesters at the marches. I think that ANZAC day is a day is such a strong part of the Australian psyche, that protesters leave it alone - mainly. I'm not saying that protesters don't have a right to protest, I believe they do, but ANZAC day is so deeply seated as a day of remembrance, not protest, that the backlash created would not set the protesters in good light.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D