Options

Embedded Exif

SnookSnook Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to embed EXIF info in the inline images link? I know it works in the original size but how about in small or medium. I use the link in Dpreview forums and EXIF is important to them. For example http://snook.smugmug.com/photos/14830699-M.jpg
has no EXIF info. I've searched here for this answer but haven't found it yet.

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 26, 2005
    Hmmmm, that's an interesting request. We strip EXIF from the display copies to make them as small and fast-loading as possible. We'd probably leave it out of thumbnails in any case. I don't know how large the exif metadata is that most cameras produce.

It would be quite an undertaking to go back to all 14,000,000 images, scour the originals for exif metadata, and re-make the display copies...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    I have a related question.

In a recent thread I was asked to post the exif info for my images. I ended up navigating to the shots in my gallery, opening the exif, copying/pasting into the thread, formatting. It was a pain in the butt.

Copying the link directly to the exif doesn't work, since it's a javascript. Is there a way for me to provide the link? Or better yet imbed it in the image as a hypertext link? So that when you click on the image you get the exif (as displayed in the "More info abou this shot" page."?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

It would be quite an undertaking to go back to all 14,000,000 images, scour the originals for exif metadata, and re-make the display copies...
    How about cutting it in as a new feature and grandfathering the previous images?

DavidTO felt the pain recently, when I asked him to go back and post the EXIF data. Life could be so much easier, even with a way to include a link to the EXIF data for an image.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Link to exif would be nice to have
    Nice suggestion, I would use it, too:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have a related question.

In a recent thread I was asked to post the exif info for my images. I ended up navigating to the shots in my gallery, opening the exif, copying/pasting into the thread, formatting. It was a pain in the butt.

Copying the link directly to the exif doesn't work, since it's a javascript. Is there a way for me to provide the link? Or better yet imbed it in the image as a hypertext link? So that when you click on the image you get the exif (as displayed in the "More info abou this shot" page."?

Having a link to the EXIF data is a great idea. Consider it done (cuz I just did it).

No idea when the next feature release will happen, but it'll be in there. You'll find it on the actual EXIF page - the "Photograph Details" text at the top is now a link that you can right-click and copy to your heart's delight.

Nice work guys!

Don
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Having a link to the EXIF data is a great idea. Consider it done (cuz I just did it).

No idea when the next feature release will happen, but it'll be in there. You'll find it on the actual EXIF page - the "Photograph Details" text at the top is now a link that you can right-click and copy to your heart's delight.

Nice work guys!

Don

clap.gifclap.gif awesome, don! (is ur chin still green?)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Now you're talking!
    onethumb wrote:

Nice work guys!

Don
    clap.gif
    I wish MY wishes (esp. API-related:-) were completed at such a pace:-)rolleyes1.gif
    Great job, Don!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Baffled
    Thanks for being so quick to help with the EXIF data. I'm baffled however on how to use it. My "Picture Details" is not a link. I thought maybe it only works on newly added pics but that didn't help. How do I get at this link?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Snook wrote:
    Thanks for being so quick to help with the EXIF data. I'm baffled however on how to use it. My "Picture Details" is not a link. I thought maybe it only works on newly added pics but that didn't help. How do I get at this link?

I think what he's saying is the work is done, and the next time they release new features it'll be one of them. But until the next release, you can't access it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Thanks ot clap.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Aha Misread it
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think what he's saying is the work is done, and the next time they release new features it'll be one of them. But until the next release, you can't access it.
    Thanks, guess I was too anxious and didn't read closely.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    It just went live, along with a whole bunch of other features.