Options

Long lenses - soccer and birding

2»

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I just wanted to point out to ginger that the 17 - 85mm is quite decent for a basic walk around -
    it is slow
    it does not give creamy bokeh
    but it is sharp
    it covers a useful range
    and that it might suit her with her 20d. She might be just as happy with the 50mm f1.8 instead.........
    Ann, I use a non glass 28-135 Canon IS as a walkabout, if one could call it that.
    I really like it. I also have the Rebel kit lens, don't know what I am going to do about that...........sell it and get another one for the 20D or not. I assume that my Rebel kit lens will work on the 20D, if not I am going to have to search harder for a camera with the kit lens.

I would like the lens you are talking about, but my main "want" right now is a lens on the 400 side. I don't have one of those, mine goes to 300 and is not a very good lens. I already have the walk about, it is on my camera right now, actually. I always carry my backpack as I change lenses at will. Sometimes on the docks, I keep the same lens on all afternoon and into evening. But more usually, I have two different lenses, or three, changed several times.

Maybe I need a glass lens 17-400 IS sharp as a tack, glass, made by Canon. That would just about cover it. Then I would start wanting a wider lens, I am sure, smile. (I have the 50mm, never use it.)

Thanks, though,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Ann, I use a non glass 28-135 Canon IS as a walkabout, if one could call it that.
    I really like it. I also have the Rebel kit lens, don't know what I am going to do about that...........sell it and get another one for the 20D or not. I assume that my Rebel kit lens will work on the 20D, if not I am going to have to search harder for a camera with the kit lens.

I would like the lens you are talking about, but my main "want" right now is a lens on the 400 side. I don't have one of those, mine goes to 300 and is not a very good lens. I already have the walk about, it is on my camera right now, actually. I always carry my backpack as I change lenses at will. Sometimes on the docks, I keep the same lens on all afternoon and into evening. But more usually, I have two different lenses, or three, changed several times.

Maybe I need a glass lens 17-400 IS sharp as a tack, glass, made by Canon. That would just about cover it. Then I would start wanting a wider lens, I am sure, smile. (I have the 50mm, never use it.)

Thanks, though,
    ginger
    Hi Ginger

If you have and like the 28 -135, then I do not see any point in the 17 - 85 or the other kit. The focal lengths all overlap. That leaves you free to worry about a nice long lens! Just buy a 20d body, no need for either kit lens! That leaves you some money free for a nice long lens!

Thats how I see it, anyway.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ginger
    The rebel kit lens will work fine on a 20D.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    100% crop
    large .jpeg

Camera set to parameter 1

No post work at all:
    14941627-L.jpg

You can see that my sensor needs cleaning.
    Let me know what you see - or what you are looking for.
    I am not a pixel peeping kind of gal, and just know that the lens is capable of taking nice shots for me.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Well, from what I know, Paramet 1 is +1 contrast, +1 sat, and +1 sharp, right? I would expect to see more contrast and sharpness from those setttings, but more notably, more sharpness and detail in the cabin. I'm assuming the cabin is what you focused on though, so maybe that's wrong?
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Hi

Just looked at my camera, and I am actually on P2 - all parameters at 0.
    I cannot be sure where I focused, here is the whole scene (PP'd)
    13959370-M.jpg

I think it is very difficult to tell how sharp a photo is on the web - I find that smugmug occassionally introduces artifacts. I also have been repeatedly told that 'all dslr images must be sharpened'. I'm not sure I agree. In any case, I have no quibble with my 17 - 85 - I can get images that I find pleasing and detailed and sharp.

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    all, every and other absolutes
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi

I think it is very difficult to tell how sharp a photo is on the web - I find that smugmug occassionally introduces artifacts. I also have been repeatedly told that 'all dslr images must be sharpened'. I'm not sure I agree. In any case, I have no quibble with my 17 - 85 - I can get images that I find pleasing and detailed and sharp.

ann

ann,

it's true that most dslr images need sharpening - but remember, even at sharpness set to 0 or - in your parms, the camera is applying *some* sharpening on the resulting jpg. if you shoot raw, there's no sharpening applied till you do it yourself. i say *most* becuase i have shot raws with my 50 f/1.4 and 35 f/1.4L that haven't needed sharpening for *web* display, but for print, yes, i've sharpened. smugmug applies a small amount of sharpening to -L, -M and -S images... there's loads of info on why in the smugmug support thread (search on sharpening). you can, of course, upload -O images at say, 800x533, and if you display the -O, there'll be no added sharpening applied.

cheers!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi

Just looked at my camera, and I am actually on P2 - all parameters at 0.
    I cannot be sure where I focused, here is the whole scene (PP'd)

ann
    I agree all dSLR images need sharpening, the question is how much sharpening. Also, I agree the 17-85 and some post-processing can get images that are pleasing and detailed and sharp, it's just that for $600 I don't think they are pleasing enough or detailed enough or naturally sharp enough. I think for $600 one is better off getting the 17-40 f/4L. But then again, I don't mind carrying around a bunch of lenses.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    I agree all dSLR images need sharpening, the question is how much sharpening. Also, I agree the 17-85 and some post-processing can get images that are pleasing and detailed and sharp, it's just that for $600 I don't think they are pleasing enough or detailed enough or naturally sharp enough. I think for $600 one is better off getting the 17-40 f/4L. But then again, I don't mind carrying around a bunch of lenses.
    Richard
    Oh, I am in agreement that it is not a good bargain, or even a good deal - I paid a fortune for mine!

ann