Options

iPhoto '05 Impressions

2»

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    but you're saying that you dug in and looked for the images, and they're gone at the finder level?
    That's correct.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 23, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Was wondering, will the hierarchial folder feature of iPhoto 5 (or any other new feature) require an update to the Smugmug loader?
    We have someone working on the smugmug uploader, so if it needs anything like that, it's a good time to speak up.

Our top priorities currently are login/logout so you can use it to upload to a second account, individual file upload status, and gallery creation from the uploader.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    We have someone working on the smugmug uploader, so if it needs anything like that, it's a good time to speak up.

Our top priorities currently are login/logout so you can use it to upload to a second account, individual file upload status, and gallery creation from the uploader.

All good ideas. I'd love to see a queue that you can re-order, delete.

Also, the iPhoto/Files option should be a pref, so that it will open where I want it to, instead of having to switch to files. Ugh.

Glad to hear there's an update coming!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Gee...all those things sound very familiar. Strangely, I haven't rec'd my complimentary Smugmug sweatshirt in XL. ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif

Happily, the same uploader works wonderfully well with just plain folders.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    Warning
    ** Warning ** ** Warning ** ** Warning **

Before upgrading from iPhoto4 to iPhoto5, make sure you backup your images!

** Warning ** ** Warning ** ** Warning **

I just got off the phone with Apple 2nd level tech support, and my images are gone. Poof. Ain't coming back. They're escalating to engineering. Fortunately, not only do I have a backup, but I've got iView MediaPro setup and current as of a few days ago.

While iPhoto5 is a great feature-rich application that will work for 99% of users, it didn't work for me. I don't know why. Apple doesn't know why.

Soooo...I'm going to buy the license for iVMP (and Toast 6) and I'm outta this thread.

:hang
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Soooo...I'm going to buy the license for iVMP (and Toast 6) and I'm outta this thread.

But Fish, who'll I argue with?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    I will probably pass on iPhoto 05. I don't have any of the iLife applications installed, and no real need for them. I wish it was sold as a stand alone application :(

I just can't see spending $80 on iPhoto.

Dave
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    fish wrote:

Did you already buy it? I think if I remember I bought Toast 5 it came with a discount for iview, do a quick search and you might find you can save a few bucks. I don't know if Toast 6 comes with the iview discount or not. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    raw file support in iphoto5?
    according to iphoto website,

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

the canon 1Ds MarkII raws are not supported yet. and, i just verified that, by trying it on iphoto5. how long does apple usually take to add support for new formats?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    according to iphoto website,

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

the canon 1Ds MarkII raws are not supported yet. and, i just verified that, by trying it on iphoto5. how long does apple usually take to add support for new formats?

It won't be too soon, I don't think. Are you liking iPhoto enough to change your workflow around it? If you just want to use it for slideshows, etc, then I would just import the select shots you want for that select purpose.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    It won't be too soon, I don't think. Are you liking iPhoto enough to change your workflow around it? If you just want to use it for slideshows, etc, then I would just import the select shots you want for that select purpose.

well, i don't know, becuase i cannot try the raw thing..... fwiw i submitted feedback to apple on it.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, i don't know, becuase i cannot try the raw thing..... fwiw i submitted feedback to apple on it.

Well, in iPhoto the difference between processing RAW and JPEG are minimal--the controls are identical.

If you'd like, I can send you a 20D file, which iPhoto will process, and you could play with that.

But I'd say: don't bother. For your workflow and level of expertise, it just doesn't make sense.

I haven't tried it, but I've read that you can't open the RAW in PS, that iPhoto will always send the JPEG there. There's a dozen reasons why it's not right for you, and the only one that you could argue in your favor--simplicity--is only simple for those with simple needs. The simplicity built into iPhoto will actually complicate your life if you're shooting RAW (which you are).

The only people who have reached intermediate to advanced levels that I would recommend iPhoto to are those who shoot JPEG. It works for that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:

Nobody really knows, because Apple has never supported RAW formats before. This is new for them. However, this is an excellent reason to be a proponent of the DNG format. When a new camera comes out, if that camera supports DNG, then that camera immediately works with all raw converters, with all editing software, with all digital wallets, you get the idea.

Andy, does the Adobe DNG converter work with your camera yet? If so, convert the raw files to the DNG raw format. Next question, does iPhoto 5 support DNG as well?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu