Options

LPS#5: change of heart

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
As I was observing more great entries pouring into LPS#5 submission funnel, I was starting to get a strong feeling that my current entry is not even remotely close to be considered a contender. :rolleyes

So I have decided to try a couple more (also nocturnal) ideas...

Moonlight Breeze:

151797813-O.jpg

Spanish Guitar:

151800092-O.jpg

(in case you have a hard time with the last caption, is a title of a song that goes like: "I wish that I was in your arms like that spanish guitar"...)

Decisions, decisions...:scratch
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I quite like Moonlight breeze
    much more than your fenced moon.

out of these two the second is harder to grasp anything from...
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Hey Nikolai,
    I actually really, really like the second. Very abstract but great detail to force to look again and again. Excellent title as well.
    E
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Moonlight Breeze!!!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    As usual, you have a wealth of material to choose from. iloveyou.gif

You know that I love your original entry (although I much prefer it in its first interation before you "improved" it), but these two are great.

Both of these new efforts are fabulous photographs, but I would go with Spanish Guitar. Yes it is harder to grasp, but it is so evocative - it pulls the viewer in. Plus it seems less contrived than #1 (or for that matter, your original entry). It also feels like a photo you might take because it is beautiful and not just for a challenge.

That said, #1 of the new batch is a good example of what might make it with the judges even though it illustrates both themes. I love the blue cast and the composition. Even so, I would ditch the moon. Much as I love your moon shots, for me it is too unsubtle in this picture.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck, btw. It must be very exciting thinking about what you are going to come up with in the next few weeks for the quarter finals. wings.gif

Email
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Nik's Got the MUSE
    Nikolai wrote:
    (in case you have a hard time with the last caption, is a title of a song that goes like: "I wish that I was in your arms like that spanish guitar"...)
    Decisions, decisions...headscratch.gif

Folks,

Its now confirmed [out of his own mouth]

Nik's a poet!

What I like about the Spanish Guitar is casting a theme for LPS in another series of themes which swirl around in your head... a song title which emotionally stresses the deepest feelings, coupled with a scene which those feelings evoke.

In writers lingo, "Nik, the MUSE is with YOU"!

Hats off to you, Nik!!!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I gotta say spanish guitar (good song btw). My only nit would be: I'd like more of an outline (if you know what I mean). Just a bit more on the hips and the back to outline it better.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Hi nick,

Moonlight breezes is a nice pic ( I think you nailed the translucence ) & the blue is a beautiful tone. I think it may be a bit too complicated. Although the tie is a nice rounded shape going from the robe to her hand, it might be better without it.

Spanish Guitar is wonderful. clap.gif Even though I 'm not familiar with the song, I thought it a fitting title.

I know what you mean, Now I'm thinkiing mine isn't up to snuff:D

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Both are better than the oversized moon mwink.gif
    I am not really a potrait and silhouette person, infact I don't know which of my own entry is better :D
    But one thing I am sure of, these two are better than the moon
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I am not really a potrait and silhouette person, infact I don't know which of my own entry is better :D

I'd vote for the second one, too. It has an elegant simplicity which the first one doesn't. I will also admit that the oversize moon is not to my taste, either.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    JillG wrote:
    Hi nick,

Moonlight breezes is a nice pic ( I think you nailed the translucence ) & the blue is a beautiful tone. I think it may be a bit too complicated. Although the tie is a nice rounded shape going from the robe to her hand, it might be better without it.

Spanish Guitar is wonderful. clap.gif Even though I 'm not familiar with the song, I thought it a fitting title.

Jill

I like both of these better than your original post, Nik. I like the blue, but I agree with Jill that it may be too complicated with the moon. If you went with this one, I would ditch the moon. It's very lovely without it. Both work....it's a toss up!
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I don't see the guitar one. But,I really like the moonlight breeze one.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    I quite like Moonlight breeze
    much more than your fenced moon.

out of these two the second is harder to grasp anything from...

Don't tell anyone, but I like it more, too lol3.gif

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    E,
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Nikolai,
    I actually really, really like the second. Very abstract but great detail to force to look again and again. Excellent title as well.
    E
    Well, in all honesty, that's my biggest concern that it is a bit too abstract. headscratch.gif
    But I'm glad to hear it has that "retention" you've mentioned...
    Thanks for looking and commenting!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Linda,
    richtersl wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    As usual, you have a wealth of material to choose from. iloveyou.gif
    You know that I love your original entry (although I much prefer it in its first iteration before you "improved" it), but these two are great.
    Thanks! At least I can say I'm trying:-) iloveyou.gif
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Both of these new efforts are fabulous photographs, but I would go with Spanish Guitar. Yes it is harder to grasp, but it is so evocative - it pulls the viewer in. Plus it seems less contrived than #1 (or for that matter, your original entry). It also feels like a photo you might take because it is beautiful and not just for a challenge.
    I hear ya... And yes, I agree, it's much simpler. It's also not a dual one, like the first one is. However, this particular idea has been done sooooo many times in the magazine spreads that I can't help but having a bit of feeling of being "less original".
    Flyinggina wrote:
    That said, #1 of the new batch is a good example of what might make it with the judges even though it illustrates both themes. I love the blue cast and the composition. Even so, I would ditch the moon. Much as I love your moon shots, for me it is too unsubtle in this picture.
    Really? Actually, I added it specifically because by itself the shot was kinda missing it. I spent quite some time trying different treatments, crops and arrangements. With the moon I don't even really need a title. Without it, title becomes too much of importance, which is not necessarily a good thing. This is also a reason why I'm so hesitant about #2: without the title it loses like 30% of an impact (for me at least) ne_nau.gif

Speaking further of a ditching the moon... How would you like this other version of the same shot?

Scent of a woman

151797798-L.jpg
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Just my $.02 worth. Good luck, btw. It must be very exciting thinking about what you are going to come up with in the next few weeks for the quarter finals. wings.gif
    Thanks again! thumb.gif
    Yeah, I have a couple of ideas for the May, but nothing looks like rock solid thus far (not that I'm not gonna try them out anyway, you know me:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Joe,
    BistiArt wrote:
    Folks,
    Its now confirmed [out of his own mouth]
    Nik's a poet!
    Thanks! I wish it was my song (I have a few, but none of them is that good) lol3.gif
    BistiArt wrote:
    In writers lingo, "Nik, the MUSE is with YOU"!
    Now that you've mentioned it - I have three lol3.gif, one for 20 years, one for 18 and one for 15. And all three can be very helpful at times deal.gif
    BistiArt wrote:
    Hats off to you, Nik!!!
    Thanks, man, appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Pyro,
    I gotta say spanish guitar (good song btw). My only nit would be: I'd like more of an outline (if you know what I mean). Just a bit more on the hips and the back to outline it better.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Believe it or not I tried it (I took about 130+ shots in that session), just didn't work out well ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Jill,
    JillG wrote:
    Hi nick,

Jill

Thank you for the feedback! iloveyou.gif

Yes, #1 may be a bit too busy, but I kinda like it the way it "flows and glows"... ne_nau.gif

As to the #2: as I have already mentioned in my reply to Virginia, the heavy title dependency is the reason that keeps me from making it #1... rolleyes1.gif

It's one of my favorite Tony Braxton's songs. Sincerely recommended! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Tanveer,
    tsk1979 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    As to your entry - I did tell you which one I liked the most. mwink.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    mwgrice wrote:
    I'd vote for the second one, too. It has an elegant simplicity which the first one doesn't. I will also admit that the oversize moon is not to my taste, either.
    Thank you, appreciate the feedback! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    I like both of these better than your original post, Nik. I like the blue, but I agree with Jill that it may be too complicated with the moon. If you went with this one, I would ditch the moon. It's very lovely without it. Both work....it's a toss up!
    Thanks! :saurora
    I'm still thinking headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    I don't see the guitar one. But,I really like the moonlight breeze one.
    Thanks for looking and commenting! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I agree w/ MWGrice. Even w/o the title, it is classic, timeless and simply elegant. It clearly fits the theme and, in spite of its simplicity, pulls you in and makes you look. While it is somewhat abstract, there is no doubt that the out line is that of a shapely woman and, not knowing of the song, I feel (IMHO) that the title just adds to its elegance and makes the outline that much more powerful. I don't know, but it just grabbed me more than either of your other two.iloveyou.gif

C.

PS - even though I haven't been participating in the challenge, I always look forwards to your multiple attempts in each one and seeing the different ways you interpret the theme.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Colleen
    Frog Lady wrote:
    I agree w/ MWGrice. Even w/o the title, it is classic, timeless and simply elegant. It clearly fits the theme and, in spite of its simplicity, pulls you in and makes you look. While it is somewhat abstract, there is no doubt that the out line is that of a shapely woman and, not knowing of the song, I feel (IMHO) that the title just adds to its elegance and makes the outline that much more powerful. I don't know, but it just grabbed me more than either of your other two.iloveyou.gif

C.

PS - even though I haven't been participating in the challenge, I always look forwards to your multiple attempts in each one and seeing the different ways you interpret the theme.

Thank you for the detailed comment! iloveyou.gif
    It's a toss. I like them both (in fact, they both made my Best 2007 list). Luckily, I still have time to decide.

As to the multiple ideas: well, that's why I like the LPS and it's built-in duality. It makes me think harder, and not just for an hour or a day.
    You can see my wheels turning in different directions at my dedicated challenges gallery...

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Not that you need any more lavish rah rahs, but I thought you might want to know I am seriously in love with your second image and can't believe how beautiful it is. Rah rah that.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Not that you need any more lavish rah rahs, but I thought you might want to know I am seriously in love with your second image and can't believe how beautiful it is. Rah rah that.

Thanks! iloveyou.gif
    Next time don't hold it back, I can use all rah rah I can get lol3.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Nikolai,
    Something I'm learning as we head toward the end of the 5th round is that the judges sometimes want a photo that sucks them in and makes them think rather than being an in-your-face depiction of the theme. For example, my feedback on the last round was "26 - eoren1 - Big Brother is Watching: Doesn't say artificial to me, I think because I expect a video wall to be artificial. The photo look like it would better illustrate a lack of freedom or privacy."
    To that end, I think that your second photo is much better suited for this round. It makes you stop and stare for a minute til you 'get' what it is and then you stay there for a few more minutes eating up the few details that your eye is given to chew on.
    For what it's worth, I'll put it in my top-10 when I answer IndieGirls threadthumb.gif
    E
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    E,
    eoren1 wrote:
    Nikolai,
    Something I'm learning as we head toward the end of the 5th round is that the judges sometimes want a photo that sucks them in and makes them think rather than being an in-your-face depiction of the theme. For example, my feedback on the last round was "26 - eoren1 - Big Brother is Watching: Doesn't say artificial to me, I think because I expect a video wall to be artificial. The photo look like it would better illustrate a lack of freedom or privacy."
    To that end, I think that your second photo is much better suited for this round. It makes you stop and stare for a minute til you 'get' what it is and then you stay there for a few more minutes eating up the few details that your eye is given to chew on.
    For what it's worth, I'll put it in my top-10 when I answer IndieGirls threadthumb.gif
    E

Thanks a lot, I do appreciate your feedback! deal.gifthumb.gif

I keep thinking!

And shooting (this one fresh from the stroll-with-the-wifie):-)

152036674-L.jpg
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Midnight Breeze, Fantastic thumb.gif
    Spanish Guitar, Doesnt do much for me, not enough definition.
    Scent Of A Woman: Great, but I like Midnight Breeze much better.
    The last shot doesnt do for much for me.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    Midnight Breeze, Fantastic thumb.gif
    Spanish Guitar, Doesnt do much for me, not enough definition.
    Scent Of A Woman: Great, but I like Midnight Breeze much better.
    The last shot doesnt do for much for me.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    BTW, I only posted the last one more like a joke lol3.gif
    I hope it's obvious I'm not gonna trade either of the two for it...deal.gif