Options

Hey you losers

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited May 16, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
UPDATED WITH MOST RECENT INFORMATION:

We'll draw a theme from those presented in this thread at 4pm today (PDT). Then anyone who is not a semi-finalist in the real LPS will be able to participate in this unofficial noncontest during the timeframe when the real semi finals are running.

Everyone is encouraged to also participate in the Dgrin Technique weekly assignments. This week's challenge is Chrome.

Also, please take this opportunity to submit an image to be Whipped during this time off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, that was harsh. By losers, I mean those of us who didn't quite make it into the semi-final round. I'm holding my cumulative points (10, thanks) and nurturing them so they go forth and multiply in the coming weeks.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me in the next two weeks in an unofficial challenge? We can pick a theme and shoot for fun.

Theme ideas can be posted here for the next 24 hours then I'll put 'em in a hat and choose/post tomorrow. Then we can shoot instead of twiddle our thumbs for the next two weeks.

Anyone game?

Jesse

Comments

• Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Sounds like some good fun/practice. What did you have in mind? Someone said it jokingly in another thread but, I think it could be fun and interesting... How bout a theme of "Colorblind"???...Laughing.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Theme: "the sky"

I'm game.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Pastels (to get away from those darn primary colors :D)

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I suggest the theme I've always wanted to see, "Access all areas." Shoot something normally forbidden/inaccesible to the general public.

Abandoned asylums, old railroad depots, broken down factories, area 54, the "gates of hell" in Jersey City, "ghost stations" on the New York Subway, etc.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    How bout a theme of "Colorblind"???...Laughing.gif

hahahahaha. Love it.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I suggest the theme I've always wanted to see, "Access all areas." Shoot something normally forbidden/inaccesible to the general public.

Abandoned asylums, old railroad depots, broken down factories, area 54, the "gates of hell" in Jersey City, "ghost stations" on the New York Subway, etc.

If that's the theme, can I participate? mwink.gif

PS: Area 54? is that 3 areas down from Area 51? eek7.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    If that's the theme, can I participate? mwink.gif

PS: Area 54? is that 3 areas down from Area 51? eek7.gif

Oh I see how it is. Only if we're cool enough. Only if we're tres chic. What if the theme was bunnies? Would we see you then? Huh? Huh?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Oh I see how it is. Only if we're cool enough. Only if we're tres chic. What if the theme was bunnies? Would we see you then? Huh? Huh?

Probably, yes, yes you would :D granted that's kind of a narrow theme, there is only so many bunnies you can see.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    there is only so many bunnies you can see.

And we both know it's the bunnies you can't see that are the ones to fear.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Who's down? come on indiegirl, I know you guys out in the pacific northwest are game for this kind of thing.

Here's a site with a bunch of links to possible sites.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:

Sounds interesting but that is not neccessarily something a lot of people will have access or guts to do. Two weeks is not a lot of time to find a place, scout it out, access, and shoot it.

I have a few in mind but already know timing is very key. I have narrowly escaped arrest and vehicle tow once- and I know they have my information on file!mwink.gif

If you are looking to replace these missing weekes it should also be something that has an opposite as LPS does otherwise it is just 1 theme.

If just 1 theme how about?

Urban
    Monotone- B&W- Sepia- Blue- etc.
    Water

Dual themes:
    Created vs Destroyed
    Inhabited vs Deserted
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Dual themes:
    Created vs Destroyed
    Inhabited vs Deserted

I like where you're going with these thumb.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Well,
    You're all welcome to join Dgrin Weekly Assignments. There is no competition, but there are themes changed weekly. This way you'll have two weeks, two themes.
    In this case by the end of two weeks (say Friday May 25th, when next theme comes to play) we can create an extra thread, resubmit your pic of choice from those WA posts there and have some public voting for those who's up to it.

For those who want to play this way:
    The WA link is in my sig.
    Current theme is CHROME.
    Pictures should be fresh (no EXIF needed, we play casual) and fit the theme (I'll tell you if you're way off), the rest is up to you...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    And we both know it's the bunnies you can't see that are the ones to fear.

Ya mean like "Harvey" ?
    Jill
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    JillG wrote:
    Ya mean like "Harvey" ?

While I got a whopping ZERO voteswings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
    I'm glad you liked colorblind! Laughing.gif

Maybe we could mail this around to each other and take pictures of it maximum holding time is 3 days. Much more interesting than that travelling Gnome.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/778d

Run Away! Run Away! Run Away! LMAO
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 15, 2007
    Hey losers,
    lol3.gif
    You said it, not me! I'm glad you're all taking the initiative to keep shooting!

However, I do have a request: If you do hold a "challenge" keep the threads to a minimum and no voting polls to pick an unofficial winner of the unofficial challenge.

Why am I harshing on your mellow? (a) it's my job and (b) there will in fact be an official poll to select the Public Choice Award from this first Semifinal round. Since this is open to all, I wouldn't want to see it overshadowed by your fun exercise. Think about it from the POV of someone not in the contest clique... you guys know what's up, but the random new dgrinner who clicks on "new stuff" and sees two polls does not.

Thanks!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    What if the theme was bunnies? Would we see you then? Huh? Huh?

Bunnies are cool, even when they aren't about planes.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Erik--

Should we take this to a different forum? I'm down with playin' by the rules.

Jesse
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Maybe we could mail this around to each other and take pictures of it maximum holding time is 3 days. Much more interesting than that travelling Gnome.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/778d

Now THAT would be funny. Funnier still? Incorporating it into the "forbidden/inaccesible to the general public" theme. "Why yes I am taking pictures of a psycho bunny in this abandoned werehouse, officer. No, I'm perfectly sane thankyouverymuch..."
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hey Nik & indiegirl, maybe we organize a quick QA(Quarterly assignment :D) thread over in Technique. That way we're out of the way =c)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hey Nik & indiegirl, maybe we organize a quick QA(Quarterly assignment :D) thread over in Technique. That way we're out of the way =c)
    As I said already, WA is open for everybody. It's totally different from LPS, but if someone wants a freshness, a narrow theme and a quick C&C - it's there for you!deal.gif
    Of course, it's mostly and primarily about the technique, not post-processing or business, but wouldn't you agree that this is one of the key elements in photography anyway? rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Erik--

Jesse

How about everyone shooting their best effort, and posting in the Whipping Post, and then you all give it no-holds-barred critique. Might be a good learning experience, both in giving and receiving critique.

Oh, and I believe Area 54 is right next to Studio 54. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007

I'd definitely be into that. I like the weekly assignment thing Nikolai is doing, but I don't think this is exactly what he is talking about. So what about this, we set up a seperate thread. "inhabited vs. deserted" sounds cool. You guys want to do that?

I think everyone knows what tack I'll take.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Erik--

Jesse
    Not necessarily... this is inspired by the contest, so again, I think it's a great idea that you guys are motivated!

My impression was that this thread would be where you chose your topic, and discussed in general, and then you would start one other thread in here for "unofficial entries" and comments, all in one self-contained thread. Call it something like "The loser game"... you know, fun, but no official words like "contest" in the title.

It might become a long beast of a thread, but I think chaotic in a fun unofficial sort of way.

whaddya think?
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    How about everyone shooting their best effort, and posting in the Whipping Post, and then you all give it no-holds-barred critique. Might be a good learning experience, both in giving and receiving critique.
    nod.gif

I like David's idea as well. I think it only lacks the community you all feel here, but WhippingPost could certainly use some new blood - I think you all have what it takes to do it right! Stretch yourselves, especially in the commenting area and give this a thought...
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nod.gif

I like David's idea as well. I think it only lacks the community you all feel here, but WhippingPost could certainly use some new blood - I think you all have what it takes to do it right! Stretch yourselves, especially in the commenting area and give this a thought...

I think that it will give you a better perspective of what it means to judge a contest.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    I say us Losers all submit to a Whip and to the Technical topics, right-o. I also think we should do a Loser contest in this forum. I like the feeling, the discussion and the overall jive of this particular place.

Keep suggesting themes--I'll be having one of the rugrats pull them from a hat 'round 4pm PDT.

Jesse
  • Options
    di-quesodi-queso Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I'm in for the abandoned
    Abandoned asylums, old railroad depots, broken down factories, area 54, the "gates of hell" in Jersey City, "ghost stations" on the New York Subway, etc.[/quote]

This is a neat idea especially around where I live. There is an old condemed lumber mill that was run by the Apache indians. Lots of cool stuff there....thumb.gif
    New toys: Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with 80mm,55mm,150mm,120,220,and Polaroid backs:wink
    Nikon D100 with MB-D100,Nikon D70S,Nikon N90S with grip,Sigma 18-200 DC, Sigma 20mm,Nikon AF 70-300,Nikon 17-55 AF-S, Nikon, 500mm Reflex, and about 15 other old school Nikon lenses inherited from my dad...
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    To clarify:

We'll draw a theme from those presented in this thread at 4pm today (PDT). Then anyone who is not a semi-finalist in the real LPS will be able to participate in this unofficial noncontest during the timeframe when the real semi finals are running.

Everyone is encouraged to also participate in the Dgrin Technique weekly assignments. This week's challenge is Chrome.

Also, please take this opportunity to submit an image to be Whipped during this time off.