Video Editing suggestions?

djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited May 17, 2007 in The Big Picture
Sorry to bother you guys/gals about video software suggestions. I know this forum is supposed to be about software for pictures, but I thought that surely somebody would have an enlightened opinion about good software for video editing that they would share with me!

Comments

• djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Guess nobody has suggestions... :(:
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    It's not that I don't have suggestions....it's just that I hadn't noticed the thread!!!

I edit for a living. I would need more information, but if you can afford it, and you're serious about this, then Final Cut Studio is the software to get. It's an incredible suite of software.

Also, I'm going to move this to Big Picture.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Given that you're asking the question in the first place, I'll assume that you're a novice.

In which case, I understand that Final Cut Express might be the best software for you. It's the equivalent of Photoshop Elements: a powerful but simplified version of the full bore professional software.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Given that you're asking the question in the first place, I'll assume that you're a novice.

In which case, I understand that Final Cut Express might be the best software for you. It's the equivalent of Photoshop Elements: a powerful but simplified version of the full bore professional software.

True. It's the power of the suite that's so cool, with the Pro version.

The thing I would not do is get on the Avid course, or Premiere, or any other apps. Final Cut is the way to go, whether Pro or Express.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Or, if you don't happen to have a Mac (perish the thought mwink.gif), I'm a big fan of Sony's Vegas Movie Studio + DVD.

Until I found Vegas, I really was about to buy a Mac and Final Cut... If I would have, would the world have been a better place? rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    edited May 11, 2007
    :D

I will try out Final Cut Studio, sounds like it'll be good!!!

Edit: nvrmnd, I don't have a mac... :(:
    edited May 11, 2007

Well, the good Mac news is that it comes bundled with what that Sony product gives you, in iMovie and iDVD. But then again, it's only cheap if you're already buying a Mac!

I know nothing about the Sony product. If you're just messing around, then fine. If you're serious at all about it, then you should think twice.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 11, 2007

Oops!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited May 11, 2007
    Guess the good stuff is for macs rolleyes1.gif

And I was really looking for just simple video editing software. I am looking for software for a friend of mine who is about 40, and she doesn't need high end/frills deal. Clean and simple. (And not like a $100)
    edited May 11, 2007
    Guess the good stuff is for macs rolleyes1.gif

And I was really looking for just simple video editing software. I am looking for software for a friend of mine who is about 40, and she doesn't need high end/frills deal. Clean and simple. (And not like a $100)

Windows Movie Maker comes with Windows XP. It's free, fairly limited in what you can do with it... but it might work. Check the Windows Update site to make sure you have the most recent version.

$100 is considered pretty cheap as far as this type of software is concerned. I abhor Ulead and Pinnacle products!
    Chris
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Of course the Apple product is amazing, but I live on a PC and my my video editing is extremely simple. I have Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premier Elements, and Nero. One would naturally think the Adobe product would reign supreme, but I find that it runs terribly slow and is a little complex. Nero is OK, buts its made by a company that is not focused on video. My favorite is Pinnacle Studio. It is very easy to use and often found on sale with a rebate for ~$50. Windows Movie maker is free, but has some limitations, mainly in available file types. I do hear great things about Sony Vegas, but I haven't tried it.
    edited May 11, 2007
    I think Photog also recommends Pinnacle for PC video editing.
    Sid.
    edited May 12, 2007
    I will check out Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 13, 2007
    You will also need to take a look at major hard drive space. Externals with firewire connections and the like :-) I found out the hard way. Movies transferred from the camera eat up HD space really quick.

If you plan to keep the editable project files you will need to more than double the space.

I started out using iMovie and iDVD. I now have Final Cut 2 on order. WMM and the Sony Vegas are ok but as has been said they have limitations.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I think Photog also recommends Pinnacle for PC video editing.
    I would recommend downloading the trial version from thier website and verify that it works for you before you buy. I got this advice from other folks who've had severe problems with it including locking up and causing computer crashes. I tried it. It crashed my PC repeatedly, and I gave up on it. I'm sure it works well on some systems, but clearly has problems with certain configurations.

-joel
    edited May 13, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    I tried it. It crashed my PC repeatedly, and I gave up on it.

This was my experience as well. But since the trial is free, it's worth a shot.
    Chris
    edited May 13, 2007
    docwalker wrote:
    You will also need to take a look at major hard drive space. Externals with firewire connections and the like :-)

Don't worry, I've got 300GB internal plus 4 300GB and a 320 GB external HD. And after I download and edit the files I burn them to DVDs as .rar archives.

I'll certainly try the trial before I buy, if I do. :D
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    I have Pinnacle Stuido 9 and I love it. It is like I-Movie for mac. It is a simplified video editing version. I've found a couple of glitches but have been able to learn how to work through them. Pinnacle 10 wasn't rated very highly so I never purchased it and I think they may have just come up with a newer version.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    I had all kinds of problems with Pinnacle as well. I would recommend Vegas Movie Studio. It is the scaled down version of Vegas 7. Vegas is used by a lot of pros. It ranks up there with Adobe Premiere. There's a good video forum at DVInfo.net. There is a section on software.
  • PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    I have Pinnacle Stuido 9 and I love it. It is like I-Movie for mac. It is a simplified video editing version. I've found a couple of glitches but have been able to learn how to work through them. Pinnacle 10 wasn't rated very highly so I never purchased it and I think they may have just come up with a newer version.

I've got a couple high-end pro suites for pro editing but have used Pinnacle Studio (9 and 10) for pro work for years.

I've also used it in the classroom (I've taught documentary video for years) with low-time users in K-12 and university classrooms and have spec'd it for statewide use--got one call for tech support in 7 years.

Early versions were somewhat unstable--not terribly so--but I still run a mobile lab of 7 laptops that are steam-powered Celeron 750's and they run all day for days on end in training sessions with teachers and kids pounding on them.

I think if you're a first-time editor instant gratification is pretty important. Most of the time the frustration I hear from n00bs is the suite that carries them from capture to edit to render is what causes problems...the drag-and-drop ease of most simplified configs of suites isn't so much an issue, but getting the video in and out of the machine causes some consternation.

That, and people tend to suggest a high-end suite for first-timers who don't need that sort of graphics package power....just something that will work. As the user figures out the feature they do need they can upgrade if needed...but IMHO it's best to have a really good experience early on.

That said, I think Pinnacle 9 or 10 will keep most folks happy because of the seamless capture, edit, and render function.

It's not as swanky as recommending Vegas or Edition, but it works.

And, like I said, I've banged out news work on Pinnacle in the field when I have just minutes to get a story out. I depend on it for my income and it hasn't let me down. With the work I do, transitions are a crutch for bad shooting and editing technique and I use cuts-only 90% of the time. I don't need 800 different ways to dissolve nor do I want it to look like 80's wedding video. lol3.gif
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Oh, one other thing...

One of the things that'll make your video look better isn't the suite but how you shot it in the first place. There are some simple things you can do that'll make your stuff look great, even if you're using some simple editing program that was bundled with the computer or camera.

Happy to help out if anyone gets to that point.
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
    edited May 17, 2007
    Thanks Photog! clap.gif
    Sid.