Options

Drawing lines in the sand...advice needed!

2»

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    ^scratch that...i say: ask for a good lens! like, one you don't have that you'll really need in order to get the shots they're looking for.

don't rock the boat saying "i need more money for this." just say "hey! i'm really enjoying helping out the company by taking photos and having them published here and there or whatever... but i could be doing it even BETTER if you guys could buy me XX lens. in the long run, you're still saving money and getting even better pics!"

yeah, I definitely thought about that....but I *just* bought a 17-55 2.8 IS last week, so I really don't need a better lens for this situation! Plus, shooting on contract sets a precedent I can live with. And don't forget, I can use that lens for personal use if *I* own it as opposed to the organization. There'd be sticky situation there, especially if I left the company.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    ^scratch that...i say: ask for a good lens! like, one you don't have that you'll really need in order to get the shots they're looking for.

don't rock the boat saying "i need more money for this." just say "hey! i'm really enjoying helping out the company by taking photos and having them published here and there or whatever... but i could be doing it even BETTER if you guys could buy me XX lens. in the long run, you're still saving money and getting even better pics!"

I'm sorry, but this is a recipe for a disaster. Any person who'd follow this advice would look like a petty amateur.
    Pros are called pros exactly because they know their prices.
    Imagine approaching a surgeon for the possible heart operation and him saying "well, I can really use a better scalpel set, can you get me one?".
    I would not like this surgeon performing anything on anybody I care of.

Your gear is your gear, along with the skills. And money have been around for ages, nobody figured out a better universal equivalent yet. It's clean, convenient and totally professional way to do business.

With all due respect, Angelo is 100% on the point.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm sorry, but this is a recipe for a disaster. Any person who'd follow this advice would look like a petty amateur.
    Pros are called pros exactly because they know their prices.
    Imagine approaching a surgeon for the possible heart operation and him saying "well, I can really use a better scalpel set, can you get me one?".
    I would not like this surgeon performing anything on anybody I care of.

Your gear is your gear, along with the skills. And money have been around for ages, nobody figured out a better universal equivalent yet. It's clean, convenient and totally professional way to do business.

With all due respect, Angelo is 100% on the point.

that's why i don't call myself a "pro" photographer. *grin*

actually though, your example i think is completely different, as is the OP's situation. clearly, the biz the OP works for has found a way to severely cut costs with marketing; by using an existing employee and not paying out market rates for photos.

great move on the biz's behalf, but creates anymosity for the employee (and you can't deny anymosity, else there wouldn't even be this thread).

a great way to keep both company AND employee happy is to find a happy medium. you could 1) approach the company and ask for extra monetary compensation or 2) approach the company and ask for equipment.

which do you think will blow over better if you wish to still remain an employee with said company? and which would you prefer? what risks are you willing to take?

the OP is not a hired photographer for this company. the OP is simply an employee asked to perform another duty, which is completely in the realms of at-will employment for this company. the OP has no "right" to extended compensation.

that is my point. perhaps i was being too layman in my original post.

irrespective, good luck on finding a happy meeting place with your employer! *thumbsup*
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    that's why i don't call myself a "pro" photographer. *grin*
    irrespective, good luck on finding a happy meeting place with your employer! *thumbsup*

Oh, as I said, people understand "money" issue much better than attempts to gear up. If you think from employer perspective, there is no way s/he can write off the money spent on the lens, but it's easy to write of the B2B service payment. Besides, if the job is only a couple hudred dollars, what would you ask for? The front element of the L lens? eek7.gif

If a person wants to be treated as a pro, s/he needs to think like one and to act like one.

And did I mentioned I got paid, without any problems or delays (and yes, I'm still hapiily employed)? And not only that: this very sale triggered a few other inhouse sales, some of the same picture.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    clap.gif Lynne - You are closest to the situation and it appears that you handled it sucessfully. Good going.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    ^5
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Lynne,

This is probably way late (but I just got back on-line from my wonderful vacation). I agree with all the words above about contracts. "Have contract - will shoot. No contract - no shoot." Even if the contract says that no money will exchange hands, get it in writing.

In your situation, I would expect to be paid. It might be that you shoot on the clock, and do the processing on the clock, or you do the processing off the clock but at your professional scale rates.

A contract can include anything you want to include and can get the client to sign up to. It might not not be enforcable, but the contract can include it and enforcement is only an issue if it goes to court.