Options

Mid Day Sun Help

k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in People
I know, bad time to shoot, so I tried to fix this in PSE, any suggestions on making it better...??? The color version is pretty blown out... ETA: IF I put this in the wrong place, please move, just realized it may need to go to "Finishing School"... sorry, still learning!

161745719-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I may be in the minorty, but I actually think it looks great blown out like that! If you hadn't said something I would have thought you meant it to be blown out like that.

Beautiful shot!!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I think it looks okay too-- though I think a profile shot might look better with this particular photo.

Mid-day sun is definitely harsh-- I'm sure you know this but shade or a fill-flash is always helpful if you're shooting in the middle of the day.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    I think it looks okay too-- though I think a profile shot might look better with this particular photo.

Mid-day sun is definitely harsh-- I'm sure you know this but shade or a fill-flash is always helpful if you're shooting in the middle of the day.

Yeah, we were in an open field by the ocean, there wasn't a lick of shade! There are millions of dandilions around, I am sure we can do this again! I will try a profile next time, better idea! :) Thanks!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I like this shot.
    That close up meter the sky and flash the face?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 12, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I like this shot.
    That close up meter the sky and flash the face?

Fill Flash in AV mode will do itthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Really? Humm I didn't know that...thanks for the tip. I like the photo.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sometimes, you may have to adjust the fill flash up 1/3 to 2/3 stop as well.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    More on the fill flash...the idea is (if this is what you're after) to expose the photo for the background...then use fill flash to properly expose the subject in the foreground. It can take a little playing around to see what works best for you. I assume you're using Canon...but Nikon has a "balanced fill flash" feature on their external flashes that works really well in this situation...but you still have to specifically expose for the background then fill flash on the subject, if that's your intent. Hope that helps explain it :)
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    I think it looks fine as well. The only problem I really can say anything about is that the seedy feathery things she is blowing away are out of focus. AS previously suggested, facing her more perpendicular to the camera will solve this. Maybe even 3/4 would help. Also, a piece of white posterboard or foam core could be used to bounce some of that natural light back at her. I like the back lighting. The biggest help on the lighting could be as simple as getting up early. or being there for sunset depending on East/ West orientation.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    Thank you for the tips... when I was looking at the picture I realized that it was the perfect situation for the "fill flash" (like the challenge a few weeks ago), however I didn't think of that until after I was home... I am still new to this photography stuff (as apposed to snapshots)- so still learning, and will try to remember some of this stuff... I gotta move fast with her though, or I miss the shot... she never sits still...
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    Thank you for the tips... when I was looking at the picture I realized that it was the perfect situation for the "fill flash" (like the challenge a few weeks ago), however I didn't think of that until after I was home... I am still new to this photography stuff (as apposed to snapshots)- so still learning, and will try to remember some of this stuff... I gotta move fast with her though, or I miss the shot... she never sits still...

Is the original available to play with?