Options

Licensing image for use in ad

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited June 23, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I got a request to use 2 of my images (taken at a college football game in 2006) in a ALFA Insurance ads that will be used in the upcoming season in the UAB football programs, 5 home games, 5 programs.

I was thinking of asking for $100 for each image. Is this too low, just about right, too high. Not sure of the total # of programs printed, they are sold at the games and last year sold for $5.00 a program.

I was contacted by production manager from a communication company so this guy is used to doing this, whereas I am not. I looked at their ad last year, and it had a generic photo of youngsters playing football. They must be like 8 years old.

Any advise?
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    headscratch.gif you might contact them and find out what their going rate is before you give them a price. Solicitors are usually very open about their photo budgets. That way you won't offend or "kill the golden goose". bsvirginian
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    I did talk with him about it and I was in the ballpark, but lower. Nice of him to be honest, helped me make more.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    If you read the magazines like Rangefinder, the stock photography business has declined to the point where non exclusive images are going for $0.99 each - yep under a dollar!

My guess is that if you are getting an unsolisited request for a photo off your SM site - $25 is doing well.

Any other thoughts?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I have to say zanotti the only reason stock images are going so cheap is because people are selling themselves short. Real companies, that are fair and not trying to get everything for free, understand that photography is a business, and like any business you need to pay your bills and put food on the table. Always get what your work is worth, always get as much as you can, and don't sell yourself short. Thats what capitalism is all about.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    I agree that they are worth much more than the current market is giving, but supply and demand has driven it down to unusual levels.

This is the reality of the new digital age. Millions of images and millions of shooters, makes stock stuff obsurdly low.

I get the impression that nobody likes it, but it is the reality of the situation.

I am glad I am not trying to run a stock house now.

Just reporting the news - not necessarily agreeing with it!ne_nau.gif
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.