Options

Kids are stealing my pictures

2»

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yup, this is true. The benefit to registering the copyright is that you can collect more monetary damages if it's infringed upon.

How does one 'register' a copyright?
    Is there a copyright registering organisation? Is it Global?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yup, this is true. The benefit to registering the copyright is that you can collect more monetary damages if it's infringed upon. But even without registering your copyright, you can still collect the market rate for use of that image. And if someone removes your copyright info then uses it, it's pretty hard for them to argue they didn't know it was your image.

I watermark differently based on the events I shoot. Some events get big ol' ugly tiled watermarks across the entire images-- these are the events where I'm pretty sure the photos will be swiped. Other events get a little more subtle watermark across the middle-- these are the events where people seem a little more honest and willing to buy.

I'm in no way disputing anything that has been said in this thread before but I think it is important to be aware of differences between countries.
    Photographic Copyright law varies from country to country, in the UK the definitive guide to it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page:- http://www.epuk.org/ABCD-of-Copyright/173/introduction

In the UK registering copyright does not mean that if it is subsequently infringed then greater damges would be payable, copyright registration is a lucrative business but has no legal bearing in a case of infringement - that's not to say that it MAY not mean a bigger payoutmwink.gif

Retaining copyright is at the heart of a photographers business and therefore important that it should not be just thrown away by anyone. The 'amateur' who either inadvertently or deliberately gives up their copyright is undermining the work of every other person out there. Unfortunatley there is a culture of 'if it is on the internet then it's mine for the taking' which requires constant vigilance, and also education, from those of us who know differently.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    ...and we're back.

some of the earlier watermarks i had were darker, but i wasn't really happy about sharing those photos as it came across kind of spammy rather than as a desire to share some pics.
    I see... always hard to find a balance between protection and sharing.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yup, this is true. The benefit to registering the copyright is that you can collect more monetary damages if it's infringed upon. But even without registering your copyright, you can still collect the market rate for use of that image.
    Do keep in mind that this process of "registering copyright" (confusingly sometimes referred to as "copyrighting") is not available in all countries (in fact, not in most, AFAIK). The ability of being able to do so in the US is part of (or a result of) the US's implementation (in law) of the international convention. In this case it indeed doesn't take away your rights, it strengthens them. Nice idea... but not universally applicable.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Do keep in mind that this process of "registering copyright" (confusingly sometimes referred to as "copyrighting") is not available in all countries (in fact, not in most, AFAIK). The ability of being able to do so in the US is part of (or a result of) the US's implementation (in law) of the international convention. In this case it indeed doesn't take away your rights, it strengthens them. Nice idea... but not universally applicable.

Good point. I was approaching this from a US-centric view. These are not global protections. And as has been pointed out, copyright registration does vary based on the country you are in. Sorry about the confusion-- it's been a few years since I made it out of the country :cry -- something that always helps me realize that indeed, the majority of the world does live outside the USA.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    I'm in no way disputing anything that has been said in this thread before but I think it is important to be aware of differences between countries.
    Photographic Copyright law varies from country to country, in the UK the definitive guide to it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page:- http://www.epuk.org/ABCD-of-Copyright/173/introduction
    I just finished reading/skimming that - an excellent "book" written in clear non-legalese language. There's even a page which summarizes how copyright law (for photographers) differs from that of the UK in a number of countries. That went straight into my collection of "copyright" bookmarks. Thanks, Caroline!
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    How does one 'register' a copyright?
    Is there a copyright registering organisation? Is it Global?
    It's not global. Whether it is available at all depends on the country you live (or work) in, and even if it is, the process and rights (or protection of rights) that may give you will differ.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    In the UK registering copyright does not mean that if it is subsequently infringed then greater damges would be payable, copyright registration is a lucrative business but has no legal bearing in a case of infringement - that's not to say that it MAY not mean a bigger payoutmwink.gif

Retaining copyright is at the heart of a photographers business and therefore important that it should not be just thrown away by anyone.
    Caroline

I was under te impression that those who were serious about copyright used 'Digimark' in photoshop and subscribed to them ( I haven't got there eyt)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    It's not global. Whether it is available at all depends on the country you live (or work) in, and even if it is, the process and rights (or protection of rights) that may give you will differ.

Got it - thanksthumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I was under te impression that those who were serious about copyright used 'Digimark' in photoshop and subscribed to them ( I haven't got there eyt)
    Just for the record: you don't need photoshop to use Digimark; Paint Shop Pro is one other possible option.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I don't know if this will work but you asked for ideas... and that's all it is .. an idea:

only display pics of kids "as thumbnails"

That way the biggest they have for a screencap of in browser cache is tiny

ne_nau.gif does it help???ne_nau.gif

how do you display thumbs only ?
    I know u can block originals and larges but you need to upload full size to sell large prints
    thx
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    how do you display thumbs only ?
    I know u can block originals and larges but you need to upload full size to sell large prints
    thx

If you upload original and large sizes they will be there available for prints - it is only the onscreen sizes you block - from the 'customise gallery' option I think
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    encosion wrote:
    As already suggested, you can make it harder, but there's always a way around it... Your best bet is thinking of it as free advertising... Re-think what your watermark says to harness this 'advertising' more effectively... Be smart, not brash! That and resign yourself to the pros and cons of being online...
    Exactly. I've heard of it being used very wisely. Some photographers have just said to clients (especially teenagers), "If you want to use them on myspace or whatever, add us as a friend and link to our site". Then it's like free advertising! Plus it has word of mouth credibility...

I'm giving watermarked web-size (maybe 450px on the wide end or smaller) images for internet-only use (no printing allowed and I explain why) as I start my business. People seem to like the idea.

HOWEVER... my brother is a preteen. I took time away from my work to take some pictures of him, edit them, and send them to him because he wanted to show a girl his haircut. The next thing I knew, he was "editing" (read:destroying) them in Photoshop and claiming they were "his" because he's in them.
    I won't be doing that as a favour again... what a waste of time and a terrible reflection on my photography.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    kara* wrote:
    HOWEVER... my brother is a preteen. I won't be doing that as a favour again... what a waste of time and a terrible reflection on my photography.

kids eh! rolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    kids eh! rolleyes1.gif
    I guess so! But "technically" I'm a kid too... just one who appreciates photography.:D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    kara* wrote:
    I guess so! But "technically" I'm a kid too... just one who appreciates photography.:D

it's OK, it wasn't a criticism, just a 'you have to make allowances' comment, 'cos we love 'emiloveyou.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    kara* wrote:
    HOWEVER... my brother is a preteen. I took time away from my work to take some pictures of him, edit them, and send them to him because he wanted to show a girl his haircut. The next thing I knew, he was "editing" (read:destroying) them in Photoshop and claiming they were "his" because he's in them.
    I won't be doing that as a favour again... what a waste of time and a terrible reflection on my photography.

Sounds like an opportune time for a little education.
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    If you upload original and large sizes they will be there available for prints - it is only the onscreen sizes you block - from the 'customise gallery' option I think

i don't think you can stop small & mediums from being displayed