Options

Help me choose a better logo font!

mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm not a professional nor is this a professional site, but I want to have a clean and striking website as I often get invitations to shoot other people by being impressed with my (admittedly meager to date) collection of work.

The logo I've been using just isn't doing it for me- especially because it is a common logo already on my computer. I went and searched for various creative fonts that would make a suitable replacement, and have narrowed it down to 16.

You can view the 16 (as well as compare to my current logo) here: http://mattmcc.smugmug.com/gallery/3194624

Input as to which ones catch your eye the best are appreciated.

For the record, my favorites (I like them all) in no particular order are: 1, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15. These logos were quickly made drafts and therefore alignment may be off.

Matt

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    First, put into words what it is that you want people to "get" about you by looking at your logo. Your font choices are a little all over the place, IMO. I think you need to decide what you want to say, how you want to say it kind of thing.

Once you get that, then you can decide what type of type will serve you best:

seriph/sans seriph
    old style/modern
    ornamental
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    First, put into words what it is that you want people to "get" about you by looking at your logo. Your font choices are a little all over the place, IMO. I think you need to decide what you want to say, how you want to say it kind of thing.

Once you get that, then you can decide what type of type will serve you best:

seriph/sans seriph
    old style/modern
    ornamental

I want people to get that I'm basically an easy-going, fun-loving sort of family guy that can also create timeless memories when called upon, which explains the eccletic entries. If none of them or all of them in particular fit the bill for you, I may just roll a dice on my favorites. However, I'm not a wizard at design so if one or two in particular have above-average design elements capable of sending a strong message, I will yield to advice.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    One and Eight caught me.

Joe Consumer
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    1. Too shmancy.

6. Informal, yet legible (I find a lot of your choices hard to read)

7. too much, IMO, and a touch hard to read

8. meets all of your criteria, yet seems a bit limiting to me, as far as how it could work in a design.

14. Has nothing to do with your stated goals, IMO.

15. I like this one, I think the most. It's clean and simple, has a touch of flair to it, but is not trying so hard to hit us over the head.

As a note: I would always use upper/lower or large cap/small caps. Seeing MCCARTHY as opposed to McCarthy is a big difference, even if you only distinguish it by making the caps larger and smaller (if you want all caps).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I like: 1,3,4 & 15 with 1 & 15 at the top
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    Okay. That's two votes for 15 and I admit that I like the "bit of flair" so it's been promoted to the top of the page. I think we might have a winner.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll leave the link above valid for anyone else who wants to look for ideas.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    That is not so much as a logo, as just the name in different fonts. If you haven't already done so I might take a look at the business card thread and get some other ideas for a true logo.

See how it ties in to your website design or on a business card, often times that can make you rethink how you format it. So instead of picking one now and then possibly changing after doing a card, etc start with some intended uses and see what fits well.

I also think you will find a lot of different, out of the box, ideas on the business card thread that could inspire you to create something a little more creative.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2007
    I also highly recommend The Non-Designer's Design Book.
    Moderator Emeritus