Options

Noise

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited February 13, 2005 in Finishing School
Is there a free noise reduction plugin or program available anywhere that works. I dont want to buy one as I dont know that I would have much use for it, but I am trying to fix up an image for a friend, it was underexposed and bringing it up introduced a fair amount of noise. If I cant clean it up he'll have to take it as is, but I am not willing to pay 40 bucks for software to take care of it. Any ideas? Links?

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    first question is...mac or windows? then...do you have photoshop?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Windows XP, Adobe Photoshop 7.0
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    There is NeatImage. I haven't ever used it, but they do have a demo available:
    http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

Licence:

The Demo edition of Neat Image is distributed as freeware for non-commercial use. See the documentation supplied with the software for more details.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and it did a great job of cleanin up the noise.

It was pretty bad and I dont think the resulting image is as good as he is hoping but I saved the original, and two different noise reduced copies. He can try to improve them if he wants.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Welcome. glad I could help :)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    also - noiseninja
    GREAPER wrote:
    Windows XP, Adobe Photoshop 7.0
    As to the other alternatives - check www.dpreview.com, I remember a lot of entries over there in forums (at least at stf, but it really does not matter which camera you use/love/hate:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Is there a free noise reduction plugin or program available anywhere that works. I dont want to buy one as I dont know that I would have much use for it, but I am trying to fix up an image for a friend, it was underexposed and bringing it up introduced a fair amount of noise. If I cant clean it up he'll have to take it as is, but I am not willing to pay 40 bucks for software to take care of it. Any ideas? Links?
    Theres a free program called helion or something like that. Its installed on the other pc so I cant go look it up right now.