Options

Military Photographer?

13»

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    americasarmy.com (which is a really cool game and I highly recommend you try shooting the sargent when you are on the shooting range)

Neat game, but what kind of computer to they expect people to have? I've got all the settings on lowest and my p4 2.4 with 1gb ram still can't handle it.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    [QUOTE=dragon300zx]americasarmy.com (which is a really cool game and I highly recommend you try shooting the sargent when you are on the shooting range)
    [/QUOTE]

i used to play Counter Strike alot.... real fun game.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i used to play Counter Strike alot.... real fun game.

You mean "a lot" Americas Army is quite different from CS. The online play is similar, but it also teaches you how to ID different vehicles and prepare a dressing and stuff like that.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I used to be a photo journalist. Spent a year in Vietnam, time in Central America, Middle East and a few hell holes in Africa. You haven't any idea what you are getting yourself into (period)! Combat isn't like the movies or the books because no media can accurately represent what is different for each person ... no media can describe something which is beyond description.

As a Marine you will be trained to kill first ... all else is secondary. As a Marine the odds of you seeing combat is much much greater than in any other service. And this is the real thing, where permanent disability, lifelong disfigurement and even death is just a dice roll. In this game hitting restart does not count.

Dude, why would you want to gamble with something as precious as your life?

Granted more are spared then die in combat ... but why even chance it if you don't have too. I will not argue about defending our country, duty, et cetera ( I have nothing but total respect and admiration for those that serve our country) ... I just feel that after reading what you have written in this forum that you are too immature to make a responsible decision about you own life. There is no rush, give yourself some time, volunteer at a VA Hospital ... take your camera ... those are the brave men and women who's voice needs to be heard ... who's story needs to be told.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I used to be a photo journalist. Spent a year in Vietnam, time in Central America, Middle East and a few hell holes in Africa. You haven't any idea what you are getting yourself into (period)! Combat isn't like the movies or the books because no media can accurately represent what is different for each person ... no media can describe something which is beyond description.

As a Marine you will be trained to kill first ... all else is secondary. As a Marine the odds of you seeing combat is much much greater than in any other service. And this is the real thing, where permanent disability, lifelong disfigurement and even death is just a dice roll. In this game hitting restart does not count.

Dude, why would you want to gamble with something as precious as your life?

Granted more are spared then die in combat ... but why even chance it if you don't have too. I will not argue about defending our country, duty, et cetera ( I have nothing but total respect and admiration for those that serve our country) ... I just feel that after reading what you have written in this forum that you are too immature to make a responsible decision about you own life. There is no rush, give yourself some time, volunteer at a VA Hospital ... take your camera ... those are the brave men and women who's voice needs to be heard ... who's story needs to be told.

only 14.thumb.gif i've still got 4 years before i could think about enlisting... yeah yeah i know. 3 technically. but who here really thinks i'm stupid enough to drop outta school and join... can't anyways. gotta have a Diploma or GED to join armed forces. i aint saying i'm gonna do it for certain... its just something i'm looking into.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    only 14.thumb.gif ... its just something i'm looking into.

Whew ... okay. Nothing wrong with looking. But seriously, volunteer at a VA Hospital ... it would be good for you and good for the patients ... one of those win-win situations. After a few trips ... after you have gained their trust ...take your camera. Take their pictures ... make 'em some prints ... teach them some photography. It will help you, it will help them, look good on your resume for college. (I have an 18 y/o old daughter who has volunteered at a local hospital for the last four years. Helped her get a college scholarship.)
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Retired USAF here...20 years, 7 months, 4 days...but I wasn't in a photography field. As mentioned, slots for that job are few and the list is long. I had a mid-career job changed and tried getting into the field.

Horror stories about recruiter career switching notwithstanding, let me add my advice. Depending upon manpower needs, services may offer "guaranteed" career selection to prospective recruits. Get one if you can. These guarantees may be job specific or they may only apply to broad career categories.

For instance, I enlisted way back in '78, with assurance that I would get a job—any job—in the electronics field. However, when they saw my language test scores, a few of the manpower folks at Lackland put a lot of pressure on me to accept a linguist/translator job. I stuck to my guns though, and got my top-choice electronics job. I had my guarantee in writing. When you're talking to a personal officer a thousand miles away from your hometown, precious little of what a recruiter verbally promised you will matter if you can't back it up with paper.

In the end, there's one thing that should always be understood. When push comes to shove, the needs of the military services come first. Say you do get a photography job...but then a year later, it's decided that field is over-staffed and you get shuffled to a new job. Be prepared to suck it up and press on. It comes with the territory.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Retired USAF here...20 years, 7 months, 4 days...

SNIP

I enlisted way back in '78...

headscratch.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    headscratch.gif

I guess I didn't word it neatly. I enlisted in '78...retired in '99...after 20-plus years of service. Seems like a lifetime ago. :D
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    I guess I didn't word it neatly. I enlisted in '78...retired in '99...after 20-plus years of service. Seems like a lifetime ago. :D

Or I'm an idiot. I don't know why I just assumed that you retired recently lol3.gif

• Options
    BassAnglerBassAngler Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I spent 4 years (1986-1990) in the Navy as a Photographers Mate. Went to "A" school in Pensacola, FL then went on to serve on a sub-tender (most photographers go to aircraft carriers) out of Charleston, SC. The school was great! It was 9 weeks long and equivalent to 2 years of photo school in the civilian world. Learned all about film processing, shooting, medium format, lighting, etc. The only part I hated was that typically in the military you do alot of "other" jobs besides what you trained for. So, in my 4 years I probably worked as a photog for maybe half the time. On my ship I photographed damaged parts, award ceremonies, renlistment ceremonies, roster photos, portraits, ship photos...basically anything and everything! The training and experience was worthwhile because when I got out I went to work in local tv as a video news photographer for 12 years.

Just my 2 cents worth!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    I spent 4 years (1986-1990) in the Navy as a Photographers Mate. Went to "A" school in Pensacola, FL then went on to serve on a sub-tender (most photographers go to aircraft carriers) out of Charleston, SC. The school was great! It was 9 weeks long and equivalent to 2 years of photo school in the civilian world. Learned all about film processing, shooting, medium format, lighting, etc. The only part I hated was that typically in the military you do alot of "other" jobs besides what you trained for. So, in my 4 years I probably worked as a photog for maybe half the time. On my ship I photographed damaged parts, award ceremonies, renlistment ceremonies, roster photos, portraits, ship photos...basically anything and everything! The training and experience was worthwhile because when I got out I went to work in local tv as a video news photographer for 12 years.

Just my 2 cents worth!

thumb.gif

what happens after you're out of the military? do those photos belong to the U.S. government? or are they yours by copywrite?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    They belong to Uncle Sam, especially if they are classified in any way. I had to process film from the submarine USS Bonefish when it caught fire at sea. Those were highly classified photos so they must stay with the military.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    what happens after you're out of the military? do those photos belong to the U.S. government? or are they yours by copywrite?ne_nau.gif

The government is paying you ... so everything you take belongs to the government. Same thing for the media. If you are employed by a newspaper, everything you take belongs to the newspaper.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    The government is paying you ... so everything you take belings to the government. Same thing for the media. If you are employed by a newspaper, everything you take belongs to the newspaper.

that sucks.... kinda wish i would be able to keep some. but i suppose if the pay wasn't bad it could change my mind.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    that sucks.... kinda wish i would be able to keep some. but i suppose if the pay wasn't bad it could change my mind.

If you're enlisted, the pay isn't good.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2006

You would certainly have plenty of "downtime" to create your own work that you'd certainly be able to keep. I have a signifigant collection of my own work taken while in the Navy...Blue Angels slides, ship photos, pictures while in port in Bermuda, Bahamas & New York for example.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    The government is paying you ... so everything you take belongs to the government. Same thing for the media. If you are employed by a newspaper, everything you take belongs to the newspaper.

I recently had the opportunity to spen some time with a Toledo Blade staff photog, and I was suprised to find that they split ownership 50/50 with the paper. I am not sure how this works, but it is nice to know the photog retains some rights, for this paper at least.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:
    I recently had the opportunity to spen some time with a Toledo Blade staff photog, and I was suprised to find that they split ownership 50/50 with the paper. I am not sure how this works, but it is nice to know the photog retains some rights, for this paper at least.

Wow ... that's pretty good. At the LA Times nothing like that. But I could print as much as I wanted and take them home and such ... but the paper retained the copywrite. At the Orange County News, when I left the paper they offer me my negatives as a going away present. Dunno if this was a gift or a reflection of the quality of my work. lol

As to $$$$. You will not get rich working for a media group. Unless you won a Pulitzer, you won't get close to six figures.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    I came into this kinda late, but, i would have to say the military is an amazing experience, Yes you get stuck in Iraq a couple of times but, what the hell, atleast you can say you have done something, you get to be apart of a generation that is always looked up to,
    i spent a year in iraq, i wasnt a combat camera, i am a 11 Bang Bang, or Infantry whatever you want to call it, but it was one hell of an experience
    here are some pics i took while i was there, their more of a comaradery type photos, all of my friend from over here come and download them so they have the pics of themselfes. password is duce
    http://tmosleyphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1319944/1
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Tmosley wrote:

Your site is password protected.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Your site is password protected.

oh yess forgot to add sorry pass is duce

and i will edit my post to add that also
  • Options
    somethingluckysomethinglucky Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2007
    Have you ever considered being an imbedded journalist, or even a freelance journalist?

DanielB wrote:
    so the general concensus is that the Chairforce is better than the rest of them? i've always dreamed of being on the front lines, defending my country, AND getting it all on film (or in this case CMOS censor:D ) and sharing my experiences with my friends and family.

My Dad was in the 101st Airborn division in the army on ReCon work, and was later sent to an island in the South Pacific called Johnson Atoll because some guys put a bomb on his car and he had to leave for safety reasons...

My grandpa was in World War II and was one of the first soldiers to enter the Dachau Concentration Camp...

i've heard stories of valor, defeat, honor, and sorrow. i know the gnitty gritty, i know about boot-camp, and personally if they kick me out just because of my back condition. i'll just try all the harder to get in.

call me a fanatic but even though i don't agree with some of the things Bush does, i look at it as serving my Countrymen, not the President...

i'll look into that and e-mail some people, thank you all for your concern and i would very much love to hear the rest of your side of the story.

Daniel
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Okay Daniel....listen up!!!! There are some good information above and some good recommendations. I especially like those of BassAngler even though he was a sailor. I was in the Marines for 26 YEARS. I was a Recruiter (honest one) for 7 years. I loved the Marines and still do. We are a brotherhood.

I was an engineer and not a photographer. I spent 7 years recruiting and 4 guarding U.S. Embassies overseas. The Marines have a photography field but it is not a guarentee when you go in. So don't let some dishonest recruiter tell you different (no matter what service). Get what you want in writing. If you join with an "open contract" you will probably end up in the infantry. I signed a young man up once like this who wanted photography. He joined open enlistment and came back Infantry. I ask him if he was mad at me and he said no because I had told him the truth. But there are lots of Recruiters who will tell you anything to get you to join. Yes, they do have a quota!!

Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy the military no matter what service you join. I have served with them all and respect them all. They are what YOU make out of them. My best time was when I spent 10 days in Alcapulco Mexico with Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and his wife on their honeymoon. That was tough duty!!!

I also took thousands of photos all over the world that are MINE. I took scenics, air shows, parades, military balls, etc, etc. etc. The possibilities are endlesss. I am just a little ole country boy from Tennessee who would have never had the chance to travel like that if it weren't for Uncle Sam.

Just get a guaranteed contract in something you want to go into. Take the fewest number years you can (you can reenlist if you like it and get out if you dont). But I recommend it to every young man and woman.

Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.
  • Options
    PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I wanted to go into the military 20+ years ago...being blind as a bat (uncorrected vision, anyway) AND trying to sneak that past the medical didn't work out. If any medical issues put a roadblock in your way, something you may want to consider is becoming a photojournalist and go to work for a paper in a big military town that has dedicated military coverage. You'll get plenty of opportunities not only to embed but to cover issues that affect servicemembers and their famlies on an ongoing basis. Plus, you'll be able to do other stories as well. Feel free to PM me for more info.
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Okay Daniel....listen up!!!! There are some good information above and some good recommendations. I especially like those of BassAngler even though he was a sailor. I was in the Marines for 26 YEARS. I was a Recruiter (honest one) for 7 years. I loved the Marines and still do. We are a brotherhood.

I was an engineer and not a photographer. I spent 7 years recruiting and 4 guarding U.S. Embassies overseas. The Marines have a photography field but it is not a guarentee when you go in. So don't let some dishonest recruiter tell you different (no matter what service). Get what you want in writing. If you join with an "open contract" you will probably end up in the infantry. I signed a young man up once like this who wanted photography. He joined open enlistment and came back Infantry. I ask him if he was mad at me and he said no because I had told him the truth. But there are lots of Recruiters who will tell you anything to get you to join. Yes, they do have a quota!!

Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy the military no matter what service you join. I have served with them all and respect them all. They are what YOU make out of them. My best time was when I spent 10 days in Alcapulco Mexico with Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and his wife on their honeymoon. That was tough duty!!!

I also took thousands of photos all over the world that are MINE. I took scenics, air shows, parades, military balls, etc, etc. etc. The possibilities are endlesss. I am just a little ole country boy from Tennessee who would have never had the chance to travel like that if it weren't for Uncle Sam.

Just get a guaranteed contract in something you want to go into. Take the fewest number years you can (you can reenlist if you like it and get out if you dont). But I recommend it to every young man and woman.

Feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

Good post. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...
    Death of a Soldier

July 2007

by Michael Kamber
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Don't forget the Coast Guard
    The U.S. Coast Guard has photographers as well. I don't remember the name for them. The Navy calls them now Mass Media Specialists.

Back when I was in the Navy Reserve, I had photographed a number of events as the "official" command photographer. Many of the photographers mates were working photographers as their regular job and were pretty good.

I'm in the Air Force Reserve now and I had looked into photography as my AFSC, but my eyes were not good enough by Air Force standards.

I hope this helps.

Have you ever considered being an imbedded journalist, or even a freelance journalist?
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams