Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:

I understand the concept of user files vs common files from my PC, but my question is do other folks move the presets to their user files? Or maybe store their custom settings in the main CS3 folders? And if I want to just use the main preset folders for everything, how do I get CS3 to use those as the defaults? I saved a custom duotone in the main folder, but when I reopen CS3, I'm back in those user folders.

phew - over my head - I thought presets just went in the present s folder in 'Applications>photoshop'yelrotflmao.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I don't move my presets. I'm not sure where they are, even. I just leave 'em. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    The new iMac looks good, nice specs too. 4GB of ram. clap.gif

2.4GHz Core 2 Extreme processor, up to 4GB of memory. ATI Radeon HD graphics card, up to 1TB of hard drive storage. 802.11n and Bluetooth 2.0 built-in.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    Heh. 2.4 GHZ
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Heh. 2.4 GHZ

ne_nau.giflol3.gif

.mac looks to be getting a nice upgrade.

How about an updated spreadsheet program????
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    I'm gonna buy the new iMac, soon as the store is up! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm gonna buy the new iMac, soon as the store is up! :D

definitely tempting. :D
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

How about an updated spreadsheet program????

NUMBERS clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    What is the factor limiting working altitude on a mac?

Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I guess those on top of the K2 can't use it....

Some elements must not be able to withstand the differential pressure at that altitude? Not sure which, a lot of little elements in the thing.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Nose bleeds get messy! :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

This is a guess, but I would bet it is a limitation of the hard drive manufacturer.

I had an IBM 4GB micro Drive that I used for years, and I think its specs called for a 9000 feet limit - Needless to say I took it skiing to 12,000 feet several times without difficulty. I still have it and it still seems to work fine.

I have had several solid state Compact Flash chips go south on me - expain that!:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    I ordered my iMac.

I live in a county with 7.25% tax, and work where it's 8.5%. I wanted it shipped to work, because of the signature required. I called Apple, and they knocked $30 off to make up the difference in taxes. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    I wonder if they denied entry to anyone not wearing black?

http://images.appleinsider.com/imac-07-gallery-32.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I ordered my iMac.

Which one did you get?
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Which one did you get?

The cheapy, for my wife. She's a luddite, and she's gonna hate the new keyboard. Oh, well. My old G4 iMac was ancient, and the CD-ROM is busted, and I'm tired of it, slow, stupid and small drive. 6 years old it is. Time for an upgrade. More for me, not her, so that maintenance, keeping it up to date are easier.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    avchd for imovie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w00000000000000t!

clap.gifivarwings.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

Air pressure, is how I understand it. If the air gets thin enough, the hard drive heads can't use the Bernoulli effect to float anymore, so they crash across the platter instead (ouch).

It's not a problem to use a laptop (any laptop, this is not an Apple limitation) on a plane at 35,000 feet, so long as it's pressurized to a much lower altitude level of pressure. Using it on top of a mountain probably voids the warranty.
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    The new iMacs look like the hot ticket!

Does anyone know if the end user can access both sticks of RAM? I don't fancy paying Apple 700 bucks to upgrade to 4 gb of memory! On my 12" Powerbook one of the RAM slots is built on the motherboard. I just wondered if the iMac is similar or can we change it ourselves....

Also the Mac Mini is a core 2 duo up to 2.0 ghz now. That's a nice little machine in itself!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can change it yourself.

From the Apple site: Two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    Does anyone know if the end user can access both sticks of RAM? I don't fancy paying Apple 700 bucks to upgrade to 4 gb of memory! On my 12" Powerbook one of the RAM slots is built on the motherboard. I just wondered if the iMac is similar or can we change it ourselves....

I think I heard it was one screw to replace ram in the new imac.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Air pressure, is how I understand it. If the air gets thin enough, the hard drive heads can't use the Bernoulli effect to float anymore, so they crash across the platter instead (ouch).

It's not a problem to use a laptop (any laptop, this is not an Apple limitation) on a plane at 35,000 feet, so long as it's pressurized to a much lower altitude level of pressure. Using it on top of a mountain probably voids the warranty.

Cool, that makes sense. Pathfinder's post reminded me about the warning on microdrives.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 8, 2007
    So - with the new iMacs accepting 4 GB of RAM, is there any real advantage to buying a quad core Power Mac other than the ability to have a second hard drive for a scratch drive for Photoshops swap file? Or the ability to use a 30 in LCD display? ( I've been giving that more consideration also)

I have been looking at the 2.6 Ghx quad core Power Macs, but the iMacs seem likely to be good enough for what I need.

I would like to be able to run a small area in Windows via Fusion ware or Parallels or something to run a few small programs like i2e, Garmin's software updates, Albumn fetcher that will fetch an entire gallery of my originals from smugmug in one fell swoop, Msft Streets and Trips - and I can't do that on my current Power PC dual G5.

I could also clear off my second desk with a P3 WIN XP box kept for the occasional wander in to XP land.

The price difference between the iMac and the quad core Mac Pro is substantial. I do like the idea of running two 760 Gb drives in a Raid 1 configuration for data ( image ) storage inside the box itself though.

What is the noise level of the iMac versus the Mac Pro?

My dual 2.5Ghz Power PC works fine, but sounds like helicopter about to take off with its cooling fans fanning its water cooled radiator.

When I have shopped Crucial for RAM for the current generation of APple machines, it does not seem like it is very much cheaper than OEM RAM installed by Apple.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Yeah, those 2GB sticks are expensive, any way you slice it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    So - with the new iMacs accepting 4 GB of RAM, is there any real advantage to buying a quad core Power Mac

1/ The iMac screen is a glossy. Deal killer. I've tried editing images on my glossy MacBook lappie and when viewed on other monitors they lack punch. You'd be constantly second-guessing what you see on the screen and blindly trying to compensate.

2/ 4GB sounds like a lot today. Tomorrow? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    When I have shopped Crucial for RAM for the current generation of APple machines, it does not seem like it is very much cheaper than OEM RAM installed by Apple.

I think it is a much better deal, $139 for a 2gb chip. $280 for 4GB vs $850 from Apple, plus you have the original 1GB to sell. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    New iMac...20" 2.4 C2D
    Well...I think I am going to do it...I have been using a Dell 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 for the past 4 1/2 years...the system has been maxed out at 1GB since I got it...it just is not doing it for me anymore.

I have been eyeing a Macbook Pro and an iMac for quite some time...with the announcement of the new iMac I am 99% sure I will have one by next week. I figure I do not need a 24" since my current system has a 20" flat screen and I can always add it if i want dual monitors...

I am set on getting it with only 1GB and then probably adding a 2GB bumpr from Crucial or Newegg for a total of 3GB's. I am going to go with a 500GB HD and most likely will buy Parallels and have the Geniuses transfer one of my PC hard drives over...I'll most likely keep all my images and music on seperate external drives.

The only real question I have has to do with my current router/wireless router setup...I have my PC tethered to a DLINK wireless router...its an old 80211g router which sits under my desk...my wife has a laptop with a wireless card in another room...I am wondering if the iMac will work right out of the box with this wireless router...my guess is it will.

I will be using Adobe Lightroom which I purchased for my PC and realized was a bad decision since it kills my PC...I also use CS2...I would like to use CS3 natively on the Intel iMac...and probably will. Any other apps I should consider?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    wireless: yes, out of the box.

other apps. depends, I wouldn't worry about it until you have the machine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    So - with the new iMacs accepting 4 GB of RAM, is there any real advantage to buying a quad core Power Mac other than the ability to have a second hard drive for a scratch drive for Photoshops swap file? Or the ability to use a 30 in LCD display? ( I've been giving that more consideration also)

Other than those two, it's the ability to have more than 4GB of RAM. That was a big deal when iMacs couldn't go above 2, then 3, but at 4GB your next statement becomes true for most people:
    ...the iMacs seem likely to be good enough for what I need.

What you lose above 4GB with Photoshop is the OS's caching ability to use upper RAM as a fast substitute for the scratch disk, if you can afford all that RAM.

Still love my 2.66 Mac Pro though. No regrets.
    (I get my RAM and disks at transintl.com or macsales.com...crucial always seems more expensive)
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    noeltykay wrote:
    I figure I do not need a 24" since my current system has a 20" flat screen and I can always add it if i want dual monitors...

I see the new ones have a mini-DVI connector and require a separate adapter to connect your external monitor
    noeltykay wrote:
    I am going to go with a 500GB HD and most likely will buy Parallels and have the Geniuses transfer one of my PC hard drives over...I'll most likely keep all my images and music on seperate external drives.

I will be using Adobe Lightroom which I purchased for my PC and realized was a bad decision since it kills my PC...I also use CS2...I would like to use CS3 natively on the Intel iMac...and probably will. Any other apps I should consider?

Just out of curiosity, why are you going to use Parallels if you are going to 'go native' with CS3? I just did the switch from CS2 on a PC to CS3 on a MacBook Pro and after signing and faxing the LODs Adobe only charged me the normal upgrade price - no platform change fee. They sent me a brand new full version of CS3 for the Mac. And the Lightroom CD has both O/S versions on it.

Finally I copied all my archived files from my Seagate 400GB external drive back to a PC, formatted the drive right on my Mac and then copied, via my network and a file share, all the files back from the PC to the extrnal drive.

IMHO, not worth using Parallels (or Bootcamp) unless you absolutely have to use them for a Win O/S app that can't be replaced. deal.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac