Options

Alberta Winter Games Update

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Got the RFP from them today. It is quite specific and comprehensive.

At this point, I'd love to talk specifics with a few of you (as many as may be interested). The RFP due date is August 15, 2007.

Interestingly, they are asking for specific deliverables (all photos on disk for their unlimited future use, 1000 hard copies etc) in exchange for exclusive rights to sell to athletes and spectators. 2 or 3 different viewing locations, ability to sell on line after the games.

ann

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I'm game. Email me or PM me or call if you still have my number.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Info coming your way this p.m., Gary.

FWIW,this was the Original Thread
    I'm game. Email me or PM me or call if you still have my number.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Info coming your way this p.m., Gary.

FWIW,this was the Original Thread

Sounds good.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Ann,

I'm up for it.

Sam

pm: Sent
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    Hi Sam

Thanks. I'll be in touch shortly. Not too many details yet.

ann
    Sam wrote:
    Ann,

I'm up for it.

Sam

pm: Sent
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    Well, after much consideration, a few recent conversations and a recent experience working as an event photog locally, I have decided that I will not bid on this. I am still waivering, but here is my reasoning:

1. I would have to invest in all of the equipment. That would be okay if there was reason to believe that this event would pay for a portion of the equipment - 10 or 20 % even.

2. I have worked freelance for an event photog this past weekend. We sold to 10% of participants. He tells me that is quite typical. Because he is paying me, and paying for the priviledge of being the named photog, he is not likely to break even. But he hopes that he can grow the business as this event recurs. The winter games probably wouldn't recur. (He was also asked to bid on the winter games, and has not yet).

3. I have heard from another photog that decided against getting certified to be a volunteer photog at the western canada summer games recently. To be certified he had to commit to 20hrs at the officials discretion, and he couldn't make the commitment. However, he was asked by a coach to shoot a team - he got told by an organizer that wasn't kosher (I understand) but then got a chuckle out of watching the volunteers all cover the same tennis court rather than spread out - ie organization was a big challenge.

So in order to do this I would need to be able to hire enough photogs to not rely on the volunteers. Local economy here pays starting staff at McDonalds $12 an hour. To cover 24 events in 48 hours, some indoors and some out, buy equipment, provide the event with all photos as prints(a requirement) etc.is going to cost a lot of money. If 10% of participants purchasing is in fact accurate, there is not a good business case here.

I am open to hearing other arguments.

ann
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    thumb.gif Hi Ann

I've been keeping tabs with this post (yours) since the beginning. Your last response was my first one after reading the original. I just couldn't see it happening. The magic of the big numbers was certainly worth reviewing but I just couldn't see you making any money. I've had an opportunity to bid on similar jobs in the past and declined. I think you made a good business decision considering the facts that you were given.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Ann, thanks for sharing the process & your thoughts. It was illuminating for those of us on the sidelines watching. :lurk
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Makes sense but i wanted the vacation :(
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Makes sense but i wanted the vacation :(

I hafta admit, I was hoping the same thing - but (reality speaking) I doubt it would have been much of a vacation if we were shooting as much Ann suggested needed to be done.

One one hand, I'm sorry to hear that you're not going through w/ the RFP, but also feel you probably made the right (if hard) decision.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Thanks for the support guys. Know that if I ever get into this situation again I will look to all of you for help!

Gary and Colleen - come on up for a vacation any time you want! But trust me - February isn't the best time to come to Alberta!!!!!(can't find a frozen smilie)

ann
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    A new RFQ arrived today - for bids to cover 4 specific events, totalling something around 20 or so hours. This I might do. Clearly they moved from using volunteers to cover the events.

ann
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    thumb.gif Sounds like they REALLY want for you to work the event.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Cool Beans Ann. Sounds much more managable and it would be a great opportunity/exposure for you. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)