Options

Which Flash for V-Day

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited February 16, 2005 in Accessories
So for V-Day my g/f wants to get me something for my camera.

I've thought long and hard, and I want a flash.

I have a Sony 717

Which flash should I go with?

Help!!!

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    People are showing good results in using a Sunpak 383 with the 717. It's not too expensive, and very powerful. Other options might depend on your future plans in gear. If you're planning on going into a system that uses TTL you might want to consider something like a Metz, since that allows you to use the same flash with different dedicated adapters.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    People are showing good results in using a Sunpak 383 with the 717. It's not too expensive, and very powerful. Other options might depend on your future plans in gear. If you're planning on going into a system that uses TTL you might want to consider something like a Metz, since that allows you to use the same flash with different dedicated adapters.
    I would like to upgrade my gear some day... hoping to go DSLR. I would love to get something that will work with that as well if possible.

I've heard Sunpack and I've heard Sony for flashes...

Anyone with experience with these have any advice to offer?

Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    I haven't used the Sunpak myself, but I do use the Sony HVL-F32X on my 828. To be honest, I think you'd be able to get a better flash for your 717. On my 828 it's ok, since it gives some TTL advantage (which the 717 doesn't have), but I find the lack of horizontal swivel limiting although there are some workarounds, involving the use of the supplied bracket. So if it weren't for the TTL and the auto recognition of the external flash on my 828 (no more messing with the external flash set up), I would probably not have gotten this flash.

I previously had experience with an aging Metz 32CT flash (and an even older Metz 45CT, but that one gives off way too high a currency for a modern camera) which gave both vertical tilt and horizontal swivel, and I like that feature a lot, esp. when doing a vertical shot, since you still get to use the ceiliing for your bounce if necessary. I also find the Metz flashes to have a good build quality. If you go to the Metz adapter site you'll find out what which adapter can do with your DSC-F717 combined to a certain Metz flash. As said, when you buy a good Metz flash now, you could later on just get the adapter for your DSLR of choice, and use the same flash, with full (TTL) functionality. You're not limited to Metz when it comes to this: also Promaster seems to have a system where you can use a Sony adapter, and prosumably change that for a different one in future as well. I don't have any experience with the Promaster flash range though.

Of Metz I know that the adapters alone are about the price of the Sunpak 383 though, so may be that ain't too bad even if it'll have your manually setting your flash to correspond to your camera settings. Also, do a search on DPreview's great STF forum for this topic, and you'll find tons of info by people having faced the same decision you're making now. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    So the 717 does "NOT" have TTL?

I looked on the review done by DPReview and i found this.
    Flash metering Pre-flash TTL metering (flash fires twice)
    External flash Yes, Sony synch terminal and hot-shoe
    What exactly is TTL in "n00b" terms and why do I want it?

Thanks,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    So the 717 does "NOT" have TTL? <snip> What exactly is TTL in "n00b" terms and why do I want it?
    As far as I know, it does not have TTL when you use an external flash. But I have never used a 717 so I can not confirm that firsthand.

TTL = Through The Lens, which means that exposure is metered through the lens, which information is used to determine the needed flash intensity. Different manufacturers use different advanced techniques for this (see e.g. the Nikon FAQ. If the flash/camera combo does not provide TTL info, the flash uses a built in sensor that does the measuring.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Any 717 users our there that may have some advice?

I am pretty sure Andy had one for a while...

I just want to make the best choice!!!

Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Steven,

I have to 717 and use the 383. It is a GREAT combo. I have gotten some really great results with my combo. There is a bit of a learning curve if you have not used an external flash before.

I would recommend the 383.thumb.gif
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Steven,

I have to 717 and use the 383. It is a GREAT combo. I have gotten some really great results with my combo. There is a bit of a learning curve if you have not used an external flash before.

I would recommend the 383.thumb.gif

nod.gifnod.gif

sunpak 383 without a doubt probably the best value for your f717.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gifnod.gif

sunpak 383 without a doubt probably the best value for your f717.
    BHPhoto shows it out of stock :(

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52799&is=REG

any other ideas on where to get this? Also... anything I should get with it?

Will this allow me to trigger other flashes? or is this a whole other ball game?

most important... where can I get this soon? I would love to have it soon :)

Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    BHPhoto shows it out of stock :(

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52799&is=REG

any other ideas on where to get this? Also... anything I should get with it?

Will this allow me to trigger other flashes? or is this a whole other ball game?

most important... where can I get this soon? I would love to have it soon :)

Thanks again,

Steven
    Anyone?
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I would like to upgrade my gear some day... hoping to go DSLR. I would love to get something that will work with that as well if possible.

I've heard Sunpack and I've heard Sony for flashes...

Anyone with experience with these have any advice to offer?

Thanks again,

Steven
    I've heard of a few people using the Nikon SB-800 flash on their F717. And if you choose to go with a Nikon DSLR body, it'll go there also... But, it ain't cheap!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300467&is=USA

OH, and any thoughts on what DSLR you're leaning towards?