Options

What can i expect from using tubes and a macro

D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Accessories
I have a 55mm macro and would like better maganifcation with but also require to be a bit further away from my subjects.
What is the results of using tubes?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    D.Rodgers wrote:
    I have a 55mm macro and would like better maganifcation with but also require to be a bit further away from my subjects.
    What is the results of using tubes?

Which 55mm are you referring to? (It can make a difference.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    Extension tubes allow you to get closer to the front surface of your lens ( NOT farther away ), and thus, capture a larger image on your sensor.

They do not impair image quality unless a lot of extension is used.

They do require slightly longer exposures, because the stated f stop on the lens is no longer exactly correct due to the further positioning from the sensor plane. Your camera will automatically correct for this exposure change if you are using modern extension tubes.

To get further from the subject requires a longer focal length macro lens - think 105 or 180 perhaps.

You can use a standard telephoto with 12 or 24mm of extension tubes to allow you to focus closer with a standard telephoto. I do that frequently. A 300mm lens + extension tubes can be a good tool to chase butterflies with.

This was captured with Tamron 200-500 and a 24mm extension tube on a 20D.

185234243-M.jpg

This robber fly was shot with a 20D using a Tamron 180mm macro and 36mm of extension tubes.

183296626-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Which 55mm are you referring to? (It can make a difference.)

an old nikkor micro non ais
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Extension tubes allow you to get closer to the front surface of your lens ( NOT farther away ), and thus, capture a larger image on your sensor.

They do not impair image quality unless a lot of extension is used.

They do require slightly longer exposures, because the stated f stop on the lens is no longer exactly correct due to the further positioning from the sensor plane. Your camera will automatically correct for this exposure change if you are using modern extension tubes.

To get further from the subject requires a longer focal length macro lens - think 105 or 180 perhaps.

You can use a standard telephoto with 12 or 24mm of extension tubes to allow you to focus closer with a standard telephoto. I do that frequently. A 300mm lens + extension tubes can be a good tool to chase butterflies with.

This was captured with Tamron 200-500 and a 24mm extension tube on a 20D.

This robber fly was shot with a 20D using a Tamron 180mm macro and 36mm of extension tubes.

Thanks great info..

I made a quick tube with an old 50mm and cranked out a couple amazing shots with my 50mm1.8 and tryed my old 210 push pull ,Time to max the credit card rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    D.Rodgers wrote:
    an old nikkor micro non ais

That lens is supposed to be pretty nice optically. I was concerned that you might be talking about the Quantaray 55mm, f3 or somesuch, which I would not recommend messing with.

Pathfinder is giving great advice, as usual, and it sounds like you're headed a different direction (new lens) which I agree with if you want more distance away from the subject.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    Hi Ziggy ,nope just getting some Kenko tubes for now ,was refering to all the gear I just bought .
    The wife is getting a little peeved iloveyou.gif