Options

Graffiti art

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 3, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
These are from my trip out west. I have always known that the graffiti in SF is practically legendary and it certainly blew the pathetic scrawl from the east right outta the water.

However, trying to find a new way to capture it was, umm... challenging. I squeezed off a couple of dozen shots but realized that my angles were all mushing together into the same ol' same ol'.

At least processing these was much easier than almost anything else I've ever done. The colors speak for themselves! I wish some of it was even partially legible. :bluduh

187565426-M-12.jpg

187566487-M-2.jpg

187566139-L-2.jpg

187567859-M-2.jpg

187568289-M-2.jpg

187568621-M-2.jpg

187568936-L-2.jpg

Previous to seeing this stuff, the fanciest graffiti I've seen in my home state was this:

182896455-M-3.jpg

Which I guess isn't too bad. It's better than I could do... if I was a vandal. :p

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Schmoo,

All cool, but I love that 2nd shot. The person in it is just so unbelievably cool, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Schmoo, love them - especially #1 and 3.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    All cool, but I love that 2nd shot. The person in it is just so unbelievably cool, IMO.

David, you have very good eyes! :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    I find graffiti fascinating too, Schmoo. Nice set of images.thumb.gif

I just wish I could read and/or understand half of it also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    However, trying to find a new way to capture it was, umm... challenging. I squeezed off a couple of dozen shots but realized that my angles were all mushing together into the same ol' same ol'.

While graffiti can be dazzling--you found some great examples here--by itself it doesn't usually make a very compelling photograph. There needs to be something else in the frame to give it context or contrast. I like 1, 2 and 3 more than the others because each one has an additional element, even though the actual graffiti are certainly better in the latter shots.

Nice work. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    While graffiti can be dazzling--you found some great examples here--by itself it doesn't usually make a very compelling photograph. There needs to be something else in the frame to give it context or contrast. I like 1, 2 and 3 more than the others because each one has an additional element, even though the actual graffiti are certainly better in the latter shots.

Nice work. thumb.gif

Cheers,

Richard, you're absolutely right and I never thought about that before. I wish this realization had come to me sooner! Thank you for giving me something new to think about. :D

Jim I'm thinking that graffiti artists are kind of like doctors - you're not supposed to be able to read what they write!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    These are from my trip out west. I have always known that the graffiti in SF is practically legendary and it certainly blew the pathetic scrawl from the east right outta the water.

At least processing these was much easier than almost anything else I've ever done. The colors speak for themselves! I wish some of it was even partially legible. :bluduh

Previous to seeing this stuff, the fanciest graffiti I've seen in my home state was this:

Which I guess isn't too bad. It's better than I could do... if I was a vandal. :p

Wow Schmooo, these are really cool clap.gifclap.gif
    Some Graffiti Artist really are worthy of being called ARTISTS in their own right, but some Graffiti Artists work is just garbage.

I love this stuff, the colours and the designs.
    You've done a wonderful job with this lot as you always do :D

Thanks for sharing..... Skippy :D --- > 12 more sleeps to gooo!! :ivar
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Beautiful photography !
    and great place n art mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Thanks for sharing..... Skippy :D --- > 12 more sleeps to gooo!! :ivar

Thanks for the reminder! Of course you're getting there a bit earlier than I, but I look forward to your cheeriness keeping my energy levels up during the long days of shooting. :giggle

And... You are very right! Ever since I got back I have been keeping my eyes peeled for nice graffiti but no matter what state I'm in on the east coast nothing really compares. I am surprisingly sad about that. I have also noticed that the sentiment behind much of the tagging I see out here is completely different - what I can read is clearly the product of angry, angsty, usually very racist minds. Very very different from graffiti Art, which is lovely and the embodiment of urban expression (IMO).

Hmm, soapbox... how did I get up here??
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007

I think you did really good with your shots. Not like its easy to work out excellent shots in an enviroment like this.
    Looks like you got some thoughtful angles. Getting interesting stuff was on your mind. I also think that in order to get the well done graffiti
    one is pretty much going to have to shoot it straight on. Like you have.

No Michaelangelo's working the ceiling? mwink.gifLooks like as high as one can reach is the place to stop.
    Look at the time they have to do this kind of "art" where it is actually art. They don't seem to mind rolling paint over other pieces to put up their own. Speaking of paint, are these people bankrolling themselves or do they have sponsors? :D
    I have always known that the graffiti in SF is practically legendary and it certainly blew the pathetic scrawl from the east right outta the water.

Ouch, thats gotta hurt. :D Might consider that some of these folks move
    around. City to city et.... So maybe the good eastern talent is out west and inbetween. I ran into some pretty intersting pieces in the middle of nowhere, so's to speak, about 2 months ago. Unexpected. I fussed over angles too.
    I wish some of it was even partially legible. :bluduh

I've concluded, for myself, theres nothing to read better than half time. So, I give up trying to read words and just look at the various pieces for what ever I can enjoy about it.

Heck, I better quit this wordy thing. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Cool shots and location
    Really terrific photos. I also enjoyed your SF post in the Journeys forum.

Where is this amazing location? I'd love to check it out.

I especially like #3 with the added foreground element.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery