Options

FM WA -- Our big chance!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Too many questions at once, Ginger. I'll try to answer just two that I know something about.
    1. For FM contests, I resize manually in PS to exactly 640 pixels on the long dimension, save to a new file, upload that to my smugmug account, link to that with O for original. That way I know it's right and I know I have used every pixel they allow. And it really isn't much work.
    2. You are a good critic, Ginger. I wish I were a better photographer and could capture more of the things I see better. The cars were just a five finger excercise, seeing if I could learn to use the studio lights a little better before I subject people to them. The things I like to shoot the most are difficult to capture: people doing things, animals. It seems like there is a long learning curve for many of those things before I start to get a few that express how I feel. The Charles River scenes are an outgrowth of my location and daily routine. Personally, I like people photography the best.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm pretty excited right now, but there is about a month left in the voting & lots can happen by then.

I just want to say that I don't want people voting for me just because I'm a dgrin member. I want everyone to vote for their favorite picture whatever the reasons. I don't care if I win, or come in last. Just making it this far is more than enough for me.

Thanks again!
    Dave
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Well, Dave made the finals in the WA as well and the MA. Great going, Dave!

As usual, I didn't make the finals and I understand why. They chose one toy car shot and it was so clever and original that I would have picked it as well.

Also as usual, there were shots that I liked better than mine that also didn't make the finals. But no shots made the finals that I honestly thought were not as good as mine. In other words, some really nice shots didn't make the finals so I feel OK about not making them either.

I find it really disturbing when there is a shot that I am sure will not only make the finals but that I plan on voting for and which I'm sure will win. And then it doesn't make the finals. That didn't happen this time, but has happened at least once that I remember.

Ginger, there really isn't a car shot that is also a people shot in the finals. I liked that a lot about your entry. Keep trying!

They did signs before and the winner was really clever and also beautiful. The winner's gallery is way out of date, so I don't think I can dig it up. But it involved an open ended wrench and a stop sign and great DOF. See if you can put those together.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    rutt wrote:

I find it really disturbing when there is a shot that I am sure will not only make the finals but that I plan on voting for and which I'm sure will win. And then it doesn't make the finals. That didn't happen this time, but has happened at least once that I remember.

Ginger, there really isn't a car shot that is also a people shot in the finals. I li

Which one? ear.gif

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/WA/
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    The toy car shot. Is that a "toy" or a first person? It is so well done I can't decide, but a first person is such a great/obvious idea after our challenge here with it. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it, not that I was thinking of anything re that assignment at all. I never sized my photo correctly.

There were great shots in that "challenge", there are in this one here, too. And that happened to me in the last challenge here. A shot I planned on voting for didn't make the finals. Then the winner was not the one I had thought from the beginning would win. "We" are getting so good here, too. I don't get upset anymore re not being picked. Usually. I just get upset when these great shots go up............. I admire them, like them, etc. I just think, oh darn, now I wouldn't pick me either.

I am not into cars, but congrats, Dave! I did not check out the whole group so I don't know about the ones that did not make it, but the ones that did make it are very good shots.............for cars, lol.

ginger (I don't do signs, not as in religion nor as in funny, I just don't notice either one. I don't have one already anywhere, I will keep my eye out. Would rather hear from God, but doubt that, too.)

Mike had that really good one in Iraq. Maybe someone here could copy it, nah........
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    It was for a WA called "blue" and there was a macro shot called "Keep on Climbing The Blue Mountain" of a bug on a blue dog toy. I loved that shot.

The FM winner's gallery is way out of date or I'd point it out. I found the thread but the photo is gone now.

Anyway, the photographer uses the name "missmouse" there and she has gone on to win MAs and I always think her work is interesting. She has a way of finding a really different take on the assignments, sort of playing with the topic. Very on topic, yet very funny and playful. Do a search for her there and you'll see.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Dave is going to win he deserves it.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif He has taken an exceptional photo.

I believe Spockling also made it to the FM MA finals oncene_nau.gif But I cannot remember which one. Sorry Steveheadscratch.gif

Ginger.. feedback in the MA is in my experience always less then that of the WA
    (weekly assignment ,monthly assignment)

Rutt, I too have seen some finalist choices that have made me think. Is it disturbing...? well not to me, its all opinion and you know what they say about opinions and As.. erm I mean arm pits:D And I believe the finalist Judges are FM and one other. Your pictures just might not have struck them.
    I am positive however that you will have a contender in the near future ,you are to good a photographer not to.thumb.gif
    Heck even a doofus like me gets lucky:photo

Cheers
    Tim

PS Go for the gold Dave!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Thanks guys. I was really surprised to see that I made it to the finals on the WA. The last two days there were some awesome entries in this challenge. I love the B&W of horses & sports car with dramatic sky.

I think its time to find my way to the camera shop and reward myself :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks guys. I was really surprised to see that I made it to the finals on the WA. The last two days there were some awesome entries in this challenge. I love the B&W of horses & sports car with dramatic sky.

I think its time to find my way to the camera shop and reward myself :D

Dave

Well, I went to the camera shop :D

I fell in love with the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, but the almost $1500 price tag was more than I could handle. I came across a great used one (1 week old) for a lot less. I went & picked it up yesterday!!

I'm so happy now. This is my first "professional" lens. For all you canon folk, this is better than L glass....hahaha

Everyone was getting new lenses, so I wanted to play too. Once the rain stops I'll be out in full force testing it out.

Just wanted to share.

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    awesome. and, yer leadin' in the polls!

good luck.