Options

Upload from Picasa?

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited September 13, 2007 in SmugMug API Support & Integrations
Ok, so this is a bit of a dream request, but how difficult it would be to integrate some image uploading functionality with Picasa that would allow posting directly? It's a wonderful little program. Integration like this would be mutually beneficial for smugmug AND google's Picasa. For people like my parents, who struggle with image exporting, uploading, etc, a clean integration with a Picasa would be great.
I noticed that the Mac bulk-uploader allows you to select iPhoto albums and upload them -- how hard would something like that be for Picasa? Maybe Nikolai could add that to the ever-growing feature list for Star*Explorer...

It never hurts to ask.. :wink

Comments

• Options
    KyhiKyhi Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    It would be nice but Google does not currently provide an SDK or API for Picasa. Without these I do not know how difficult it would be to support uploading to smugmug.

http://www.picasa.com/support/kb_category.php?CategoryID=11#243

CSwinton wrote:
    Ok, so this is a bit of a dream request, but how difficult it would be to integrate some image uploading functionality with Picasa that would allow posting directly? It's a wonderful little program. Integration like this would be mutually beneficial for smugmug AND google's Picasa. For people like my parents, who struggle with image exporting, uploading, etc, a clean integration with a Picasa would be great.
    I noticed that the Mac bulk-uploader allows you to select iPhoto albums and upload them -- how hard would something like that be for Picasa? Maybe Nikolai could add that to the ever-growing feature list for Star*Explorer...

It never hurts to ask.. mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    No info on this one..
    CSwinton wrote:
    Maybe Nikolai could add that to the ever-growing feature list for Star*Explorer...

I didn't have a chance to look in this direction.
    I don't mind, simply do not have enough bandwidth to spend it on a (potentially resultlessne_nau.gif ) search...

However, if somebody can point me towards picasa api/sdk I would be very interested to take a look..

Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    CSwinton wrote:

Lots of Googlers use smugmug, and we were recently over there talking with the entire Picasa team about integration with them. It may or may not happen, you neve know with Google, but the interest seemed there.

Sending them a polite note letting them know that you love Picasa and smugmug and wish they worked well together might do the trick.

Don
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Is there a specific email address that might be most effective?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Is there a specific email address that might be most effective?

It looks like there's both a help ticket system and a user forum, both of which can be found here. I imagine they might be good places to start, but I couldn't say for sure.

Don
  • Options
    Aaron ChristyAaron Christy Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    A possible Picasa solution
    Don,

Without a Picasa API, a Picasa to/from Smugmug integration is difficult, but not impossible. Has there been any discussion of providing an "e-mail to Smugmug" posting service?

Someone posted some instructions on how to use this to achieve a Picasa to Flickr photo album transfer.

-Aaron-

Aaron Christy
    http://www.surfacedamage.com/
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Don,

Without a Picasa API, a Picasa to/from Smugmug integration is difficult, but not impossible. Has there been any discussion of providing an "e-mail to Smugmug" posting service?

Someone posted some instructions on how to use this to achieve a Picasa to Flickr photo album transfer.

-Aaron-

Smugmug's had this for years. :)

Don
  • Options
    ayushayush Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2005
    If you want something like Picasa with Smugmug integration, you might want to give PowerSnap a spin.

PowerSnap has powerful organizational features. For sharing photos you can create PDF slideshows or even email them directly from PowerSnap. You can also create flash and html websites which use your smugmug categories and galleries for their navigation.

The smugmug integration supports easy uploads of your photos to Smugmug. You can create and edit galleries. PowerSnap even supports complete offline browsing of your smugmug photos. You can add as many smugmug accounts as you want.

More details and a download is at http://www.powersnap.com
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    It looks like there's both a help ticket system and a user forum, both of which can be found here. I imagine they might be good places to start, but I couldn't say for sure.

Don

Heh..I ran across this thread months ago and shot off a note to Picasa. Just got a reply back today...3 months later. :poke Heh..my interest in this has waned as I've started checking out PS Elements for my organization and tagging.
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Picasa customer support.

I will pass on your suggestion to our development team. They review user
    feedback and rely on it to make improvements to Picasa.

If you have additional questions, please visit Picasa Support at
    http://picasa.google.com/support, where you'll find the answers to many of
    our frequently asked questions.

Thank you for your interest in Picasa.

Sincerely,

Jaysie
    The Picasa Team

Original Message Follows:
    Subject: Are you considering adding support for uploading to smugmug?
    Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:21:45 -0000

I'm a very happy smugmug user who also loves Picasa. Right now there's no
    way for me to export photos along with all my captions and labels from
    Picasa to smugmug. Is there any chance that you all could add some send to
    smugmug (like send to gmail, send to blogger) support to Picasa? Or maybe
    release an API? Smugmug has an OSX uploader for mac users that allows them
    to send iPhoto albums to smugmug. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do
    something similar for Picasa users if they had an API to work with.

Anyways, keep up the good work on this wonderful FREE product - I love it.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this..
  • Options
    RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I'm about 50% of the way there. I have the Picasa side of things taken care of, I just need to work out the Flash part now!

Are there any Flash developers that could give me a hand?
  • Options
    RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Scratch that! I couldn't do it like that due to security restrictions.

I've just managed to get it working without that by tricking Picasa into thinking it's talking to Blogger.

The only problem is as it's posting to my server, it has the potential to chew through my bandwidth!

Does anyone have any sample PHP code for uploading to SmugMug? I can write some myself if not, but it would speed up the release!
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    Hey, I was thinking about this because I noticed that Tabblo (fancy layouts for sharing/printing, but *sloooow* website) has a very nice Picasa plug-in that adds an "Upload to Tabblo" button to the button bar.

http://app.tabblo.com/studio/upload/picasa/

It works flawlessly (ironically, better then Tabblo's Java uploader on their own site).

The question is, how the heck did they do it without an API? Well, they're a little coy about the details:

http://developer.tabblo.com/index.php/2006/06/17/picasa/

But hey, check it out -- there's an open-source picasa2flickr plug-in that may give you more clues:

http://picasa2flickr.sourceforge.net/index.html
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    CSwinton wrote:

You are SO right!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=635985#post635985

:)
    Picasa Uploader is here!
    clap.gifclap.gif