Options

First Snow

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 23, 2007 in Journeys
You know, I'm not really sure where to put this. It has landscapes, it has people, it has nature, and it was an adventure... so I'm going with right here, and if I'm wrong, do feel free to point me elsewhere! :D

Evenings often get boring as I sit at my computer waiting for a fire call, or building a website. Every now and then I hatch a crazy scheme and try to get people to go along with it, just for some excitement. Usually I wind up right where I started, with rejections from all of my friends, but sometimes something else happens.

Yesterday was a horribly dismal day, filled with nothing but rain and rain and the evening's Search and Rescue training, so I hatched a crazy scheme. Starting well after dark and in a drenching downpour, I would lead my courageous comrades in a quick charge deep into the mountains to a cozy cabin where we'd spend the rest of the night, hoping to wake up to a world of white and frolic in the fresh snow for a while. I expected no takers, as usual, but this day I managed to fool a couple friends into believing that this could be done, and even that it might be fun! :D

The misery started off just fine, we made the hike in less than two hours and arrived completely drenched at the cabin, where we donned our dry clothes, had some hot soup, and dozed off as conversation died down. In the morning the success of my scheme was realized in the arrival of the first snow of the season at this altitude. I snuck out early to capture what I'd come for.

The Lane Hut, taking beatings and blessings from innumerable travelers over decades of existence.
snow03.jpg

I tried taking a couple "portraits" of the old cabin. Still not sure how I did. :D
snow04.jpg

snow05.jpg

Put my new camera to the test. Water water everywhere, indeed!
snow06.jpg

snow07.jpg

"Is it safe to come out?"
snow08.jpg

The headwaters of Archangel Creek, twsiting their way through Lane Valley.
snow09.jpg

Kate and Tommy. I told Kate that for today at least, she's the awesomest girl in the world, just for showing up and enduring the torture some of us think is fun. :D She dragged Tommy into this, but he wasn't too disappointed.
snow10.jpg

Richard, enjoying life to its fullest. This isn't the first time we've been here for the first snow.
snow11.jpg

Kate again, all smiles. Glad I've got friends like her!
snow14.jpg

Orange plants trace an ancient path the creek USED to follow. Now it's slightly out of sight running along the base of the far slope.
snow15.jpg

Well that's it. Climbing season is over in Archangel Valley. Time to dust off the snowboard I suppose, and maybe work it into some crazy schemes in the near future. :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited September 21, 2007
    Sierra got a dusting today. Maybe not as much as AK but it's a reminder
    of wx in the mountains.

Thanks for sharing!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    As much fun reading the story as looking at the pictures. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Great post John :) Im sad to see snow all over the climbin grounds!!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    Hehehe... sure beats my last bouldering trip of 2004! rolleyes1.gif

154256-largest_40697.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com