Options

Maintenance (Read Only) Th 4 Oct 2007 @ 10:00pm - 03:00am PDT

WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited October 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

We will be performing work during our regularly scheduled Maintenance Window this Thursday night. We hope that there won't be any impact, however there might be an instance in which we need to place the site into read-only mode. If things go really haywire, we may have to take the site offline while we fix it. Hopefully things will go smoothly, and you won't even notice!

Progress will be posted in this thread during the window. Sorry for any inconvenience!

(We're going to be working on our master databases!)

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    headscratch.gifYou mean 4 Oct?
  • Options
    BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up... :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    headscratch.gifYou mean 4 Oct?
    Fixed - thanks.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Fixed - thanks.
    Not mwink.gif

Again to the powers that be, can we have times that refer to GMT - I still have no idea what PDT is.
  • Options
    MikeCMikeC Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2007
    International Options
    Thanks for the notice guys - any chance you could put a slightly more universal timestamp on this thing - such as UTC or GMT. I'm in Australia and I'm not entirely sure which of the US timezones this is going to occur during, though most people should be able to work out where they are relative to GMT/UTC.

Cheers !

Mike
  • Options
    habanrhabanr Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    I have to agree with BigAl and MikeC if you want to be the international photographic site please use GMT or UTC.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    The maintenance window will be from 05.00 UTC/Zulu Friday Oct 5:
    203935906-L.jpg

to 10.00 UTC/Zulu Friday Oct 5:
    203935899-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Not mwink.gif

Again to the powers that be, can we have times that refer to GMT - I still have no idea what PDT is.
    MikeC wrote:
    Thanks for the notice guys - any chance you could put a slightly more universal timestamp on this thing - such as UTC or GMT. I'm in Australia and I'm not entirely sure which of the US timezones this is going to occur during, though most people should be able to work out where they are relative to GMT/UTC.

Cheers !

Mike
    habanr wrote:
    I have to agree with BigAl and MikeC if you want to be the international photographic site please use GMT or UTC.

if you click through to the sticky post, which describes our reserved maintenance window, for Thursdays, you can see a time chart. I've had it there for nearly a year or maybe more? Is that useful?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    if you click through to the sticky post, which describes our reserved maintenance window, for Thursdays, you can see a time chart. I've had it there for nearly a year or maybe more? Is that useful?
    That could help, but then whoever puts up the maintenance post could also look there and add GMT to the post...
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Here we go folks. We'll be in Read-only mode for now, hopefully will be fast. Check back here for updates.
  • Options
    methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    I get this message:

The wizards of Smug are adding new magic tonight, so we're in window shopping mode. You can view all the photos you like, but for a few minutes we're unable to sell prints or take new photos or comments. Stay tuned! The SmugMug team

So how do i go into 'read only' mode (look at my photos)... is there a button to click?, as everything leads back to this window.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    methd wrote:
    I get this message:

The wizards of Smug are adding new magic tonight, so we're in window shopping mode. You can view all the photos you like, but for a few minutes we're unable to sell prints or take new photos or comments. Stay tuned! The SmugMug team

So how do i go into 'read only' mode (look at my photos)... is there a button to click?, as everything leads back to this window.
    Try your nickname.smugmug.com, looks like domains not working right now.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    how do i always get stuck trying to upload something during the late night maintenance?!:cry

i can't wait to see what's new!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Is this the reason I can't log in through FF or IE?

Probably is. But I've had this problem before of not being able to log in. I can't recreate the situation though..

-Jon
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 5, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Probably is. But I've had this problem before of not being able to log in. I can't recreate the situation though..

-Jon

yes, we are currently in read-only mode.. which basically disables logged in sessions thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

-Jon
    Maybe they're tweaking the control panel a little more? I dunno. Glad I don't have to batch upload tonight!

And even so, Smugmug in general is wayyyy cooler and easier than FTP-ing my images to a host and then logging in and trying to find them, or worse having to "notify" a gallery host that I FTP'd them... Call me old-fashioned, but I like to go online to upload photos, I like drag-and-drop, and I like to sit there and watch them upload. Okay I like to sit there and watch the first image upload, then I get up and go do something else lol.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Well that was quick. Looks like it all back up...

Now to start uploading again ...

;)

Andrew
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    All done, thanks for your patience folks!

(lots of under-the-hood stuff with our database infrastructure tonight)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Wireless wrote:
    All done, thanks for your patience folks!

(lots of under-the-hood stuff with our database infrastructure tonight)
    Great!

Just as a matter of interest, were stats and thumbs up/down also disabled during the maintenance?
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Great!

Just as a matter of interest, were stats and thumbs up/down also disabled during the maintenance?

I'm pretty sure photorank (thumbs up/down) voting goes away when they flip the big "read only" switch.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 6, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    I'm pretty sure photorank (thumbs up/down) voting goes away when they flip the big "read only" switch.

yeah since it's read only, I believe there is no db write access at all.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos