Options

dirty reporting worthy of Katie Couric.

Comments

• Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Zip, you're a world class shooter and we're honored to have you here, however, I have to stand up for amadeus.

a) all the images are linked, i.e. not taking up any dgrin server space
    b) they're confined to one thread
    c) this is amadeus' style. he's got a new camera, he likes bikes, and he's a good guy.
    d) if you don't like the thread, click on, but please don't tell our members what they should or shouldn't be posting.

thanks.

back to the thread...

Doood!
    some fan-freaking tastic images in that set!! You and the new Nikon seem to be getting along very well. I see huge improvements from your first outing (at the same track?).

You're focus-tracking is getting way better, did you figure out how to switch to servo-mode (or whatever its called in Nikon)? It shows.

Looks like you had some sweet afternoon light in a lot of those shots as well. thumb.gif

Hey man..

I think you missed my point but it's irrelevant.

In all honesty mate, he's not doing himself any favours because in essence, some are just going to scan all these images and go "oh well"..

As for space, style whatever, I'm all for improving ones skill level and talent and will help anyone who asks for it, and he does have some nice images in there, but they need to be weeded out as theres some junk in there also. Sorry to be harsh but that's the way it is in the real world mate.

As for telling folks what they should or shouldn't be posting, I wasn't per se, just suggesting that to gain maximum exposure and to gain additonal focus on ones work, it doesn't serve the "poster" any good to flood and also use other people's words (which is plagarism at best) and expect no one to say anything.

I'll go away now.

Andrew wave.gif
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Zip, you're a world class shooter and we're honored to have you here, however, I have to stand up for amadeus.

a) all the images are linked, i.e. not taking up any dgrin server space
    b) they're confined to one thread
    c) this is amadeus' style. he's got a new camera, he likes bikes, and he's a good guy.
    d) if you don't like the thread, click on, but please don't tell our members what they should or shouldn't be posting.

thanks.

back to the thread...

Doood!
    some fan-freaking tastic images in that set!! You and the new Nikon seem to be getting along very well. I see huge improvements from your first outing (at the same track?).

You're focus-tracking is getting way better, did you figure out how to switch to servo-mode (or whatever its called in Nikon)? It shows.

Looks like you had some sweet afternoon light in a lot of those shots as well. thumb.gif

yo. actually I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..

Home run Pedroia. Red Sox up by 3.

thanks for the praise. I'm very happy with the results. I think the improvements came from 2 things. More lens and closer proximity to the subject, and made sure I was focused using the autofocus on every shot as much as possible. dude some of the vertical shots which the camera automaticaly makes upright without my having to, just don't come across good here and on the mug. when I was looking at them on my PC screem before I uploaded they were really sweet. Same track, but they change it around a little here and there so I was able to get up close with great light, not a cloud in the sky. still shooting auto on the sports setting. I shot 450 shots on a day when I went from staying home to "work on the house at 9:15" to walking out the door at 9:30. battery was fresh but not %100 and still held up. Really like the camera.

I think Maczippy just doesn't know my style like you said, but its the only way I know.

I also think he doesn't like Celine.

So g'day and all that. When are you having us over?

Yeah check out the vertical shots on original some of them are really cool.

Check out these eyes eyeballing me.

211117292-L.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 22, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    I'll go away now.

Andrew wave.gif
    Sorry to have made you feel this way. But, maybe you misunderstood me? I'm just trying to do my job as a mod and make everyone feel welcome here, even those that just want to post up lots of photos. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    ... some of the vertical shots which the camera automaticaly makes upright without my having to, just don't come across good here and on the mug. when I was looking at them on my PC screem before I uploaded they were really sweet.
    same sensor, just rotated, so I think this is just a perceived thing, maybe because SM, by default, makes portraits smaller? ne_nau.gif

that little rider is definitely eyeing you, a great catch thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    , maybe because SM, by default, makes portraits smaller? ne_nau.gif
    We don't make them "smaller" just different :

The 8 display sizes on SmugMug:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We don't make them "smaller" just different
    can i say anything right today? I quit! lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    can i say anything right today? I quit! lol3.gif

I think you mods have the patience of Job. Personally, I thought zip was kind and given his level of work and the fact that he shares it here for us to learn from and--for some of us--to find inspiration in, I thought it was really cool he'd make the effort.

But hey, I suppose you can't argue with amadeus' "success." going on 70 replies to his thread (well, I haven't counted how many of those are his) and some great constructive criticism offered (which he largely chooses to ignore) on how to get better. Shoot, I post a thread and feel lucky that 2 people reply. Maybe I gotta learn from amadeus. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sorry to have made you feel this way. But, maybe you misunderstood me? I'm just trying to do my job as a mod and make everyone feel welcome here, even those that just want to post up lots of photos. ne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif

I didn't mean I'd leave this group!! I meant I had said enough and it was time to move on...

I enjoy being part of this group too much...

Andrew
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Some of these are great. A little more attention to detail like tighter cropping would go a long way.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    As for space, style whatever, I'm all for improving ones skill level and talent and will help anyone who asks for it, and he does have some nice images in there, but they need to be weeded out as theres some junk in there also. Sorry to be harsh but that's the way it is in the real world mate.
    I'll agree with Andrew. There were some nice images in there but a lot of junk as well. But with so many images it was just impossible to critique any. Exposures were not consistently good. Too many cropped heads on jump shots. A lot of the action shots had strange compositions.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'll agree with Andrew. There were some nice images in there but a lot of junk as well. But with so many images it was just impossible to critique any. Exposures were not consistently good. Too many cropped heads on jump shots. A lot of the action shots had strange compositions.

let me help you out a little this has obviously been difficult for you. rolleyes1.gif

there was one cropped head. I guess one is to many. headscratch.gif

the first time he came by and looked down at me I missed him. I was definitely ready the second time. when you are that close to that kind of action you take what you can get. personally I'm thrilled with the shot cropped head and all. I even found him in the pits and got his email and am sending it to him. I consider it the best shot of the group given the dynamics. I suppose jumping 10 feet in the air on a motorcycle and looking down at a photographer and hanging your leg off the bike is common practice in Austin Texas but in my boring world it was quite a thrill to be a part of. Even being on the safe side of the lens. One mans junk is another mans treasure. And by the way exposures were consistently via Auto. I put myself in the position to take those shots. If hadn't have been there they wouldn't have been taken. As far as strange composition on action shots, I wasn't shooting a bowl of fruit. Its motocross. Not freestyle pose for the camera nonsense. A motocross race.

but thanks for looking. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    But hey, I suppose you can't argue with amadeus' "success." going on 70 replies to his thread (well, I haven't counted how many of those are his) and some great constructive criticism offered (which he largely chooses to ignore) on how to get better.

I get a little cocky when my threads reach the 1,000,000 hit count. mwink.gif

as for ignoring constructive criticism. if telling someone they posted too many pictures and some of them are junk is going to help me be a better photographer, then I guess I have a lot to learn about digital photography. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    You having cropping issues on images 13, 34, 46 and 51. It's not just one image.... ;) If you found only one image with a crop issue then you need to be a little more critical of your work. That is what this forum is about.
    amadeus wrote:
    And by the way exposures were consistently via Auto. I put myself in the position to take those shots. If hadn't have been there they wouldn't have been taken. As far as strange composition on action shots, I wasn't shooting a bowl of fruit. Its motocross. Not freestyle pose for the camera nonsense. A motocross race.
    I'm going to help you out a bit here with some comments on these photos. They really could use some help. I'm sorry, but Andrew is right, they are not as good as you think they are. And that is what these forums are about, right? Becoming a better photographer?

Using auto exposure on your camera is not going to make for consistent exposures of your images. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. You had some photos that were great on exposure, some were over-exposed, some were underexposed. That's what post-production work is all about. I can tell you just took the images off the camera and did nothing to them. *If* you want good images this won't do, no matter how good your camera is. You will need to tweak on the computer.

Images 12, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 39, 52 and 53 have exposure issues. Most were over-exposed, a handful were under-exposed.

As far as composition goes who cares if this isn't a bowl of fruit? Composition counts for every type of photography, including motocross. Take a look at Andrew's site and you'll start to understand. Look at images 7, 10 and 37 for starters. One of the things drilled into my head when I first started doing photography in motocross, and later football, was composition and framing. It makes a ton of difference in the impact of a photo, even if its not a bowl of fruit.

You have a relatively nice selection of snap shots there. Do you want them to get better still?
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    211096721-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    211096955-XL.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    211096721-S.jpg
    That rocks. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    You having cropping issues on images 13, 34, 46 and 51. It's not just one image.... ;) If you found only one image with a crop issue then you need to be a little more critical of your work. That is what this forum is about.

I'm going to help you out a bit here with some comments on these photos. They really could use some help. I'm sorry, but Andrew is right, they are not as good as you think they are. And that is what these forums are about, right? Becoming a better photographer?

Using auto exposure on your camera is not going to make for consistent exposures of your images. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. You had some photos that were great on exposure, some were over-exposed, some were underexposed. That's what post-production work is all about. I can tell you just took the images off the camera and did nothing to them. *If* you want good images this won't do, no matter how good your camera is. You will need to tweak on the computer.

Images 12, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 39, 52 and 53 have exposure issues. Most were over-exposed, a handful were under-exposed.

As far as composition goes who cares if this isn't a bowl of fruit? Composition counts for every type of photography, including motocross. Take a look at Andrew's site and you'll start to understand. Look at images 7, 10 and 37 for starters. One of the things drilled into my head when I first started doing photography in motocross, and later football, was composition and framing. It makes a ton of difference in the impact of a photo, even if its not a bowl of fruit.

You have a relatively nice selection of snap shots there. Do you want them to get better still?

you said too many cropped heads on jump shots. I said only one meaning jump shots. Andrew never said they weren't as good as I thought they were, as I never said they were "good". I said I was happy with the results and I am.

1. Andrew is a professional. Maybe he can act like one. I'm not impressed with his website or his work. If you are so be it. I could really care less about a "professional" who could be so petty to make issue of my borderline plagarism (according to him).

this website is about a lot of things. and sharing shhots is one of them. I'm open to criticism but Andrew never offered any. But I'm not exactly losing sleep over it.

I post these pics as a MOTORCYCLIST not a photographer. I spent 2 hours tomight looking for the folded up piece of paper with 5 email address's of the riders I chatted up. Including this kid

211115885-L.jpg

from the Berkshires who came 2 hours with his dad to get lapped by some very fast mini riders like this guy

211114601-L.jpg

who even at this age is riding with one finger on the clutch. 2 hours I looked for that piece of paper that was right under my nose just so I could be able to send the link to the gallery like I told them I would. that is what is important to me. Not cropping. I don't know how. Some of these pics were stuffed on purpose. How else do you get a perspective like this.

211117097-XL.jpg

whos father happens to be #1.

I'm not saying these pics are good. I'm saying I'm thrilled with the results.

Red Sox in 5.

211120636-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    nanu nanu. :D

211122441-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    and something tells me #846 who I emailed tonight will be glad I was there.

211124041-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    and something tells me #23 will wish I had his Email. deal.gif

25 years from now when he's carrying his sorry ass around a track shooting plasma pictures of diesel bikes with magnetic brakes. eek7.gif

211123598-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    I really like this X2 size. I may have to go back and repost all the pics. rolleyes1.gif

211117974-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    ok I'm going to bed. guten nacht.

211117303-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    I really like this X2 size. I may have to go back and repost all the pics. rolleyes1.gif

211117974-S.jpg
    those are some awesome eyes! is it me, or do they even match in color to his gear? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    If you are happy with these photos, I think that's just great. Your last few shots have been really nice. Much better than most of the stuff you posted in your first wave.

Why don't you post your photos and request that nobody critique them? You seem overly sensitive about suggestions people have given you on how to IMPROVE your shots.

You said "Andrew is a professional. Maybe he can act like one. I'm not impressed with his website or his work." I'm not sure what the point of this comment is, but you need to open your eyes and see that his shots are excellent. There's a professional quality to them that your shots lack. You may want to accept advice instead of being so defensive.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    1. Andrew is a professional. Maybe he can act like one. I'm not impressed with his website or his work.
    Not impressed with Andrew's work? You're the first I've met...
    I'm open to criticism but Andrew never offered any
    I did, and apparantly you haven't been willing to take any of it. I critiqued your photos, and all you did was say "I'm not saying the photos are any good".
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Folks:

Many of you lack the benefit of previous experience with "amadeus" some of us have enjoyed on another board. That said, here are a couple unsolicited thoughts: One, he isn't a professional shooter and shouldn't be expected to behave and/or post like one. Two, not everyone is interested in exacting and exhaustive deconstruction/critique of photos and it shouldn't be assumed a poster is looking for such advice merely because he/she posts some (or many . . . ) photos. It is possible the poster is just having fun. :D
    Tim
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Folks:

Many of you lack the benefit of previous experience with "amadeus" some of us have enjoyed on another board. That said, here are a couple unsolicited thoughts: One, he isn't a professional shooter and shouldn't be expected to behave and/or post like one. Two, not everyone is interested in exacting and exhaustive deconstruction/critique of photos and it shouldn't be assumed a poster is looking for such advice merely because he/she posts some (or many . . . ) photos. It is possible the poster is just having fun. :D

Actually, you're right on the mark here. He never asked for any critique or advice on how to improve his photography. He merely posted 57 snapshots of people riding motorcycles. It was presumptuous for any of us to assume that he would want to improve his photography technique by applying some of the recommended suggestions.

I'll certainly look at these posts if curious and then keep my comments to myself since no advice is requested.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Folks:

Er war ein Punker
    Und er lebte in der großen Stadt
    Es war Wien, war Vienna
    Wo er alles tat
    Er hatte Schulden denn er trank
    Doch ihn liebten alle Frauen
    Und jede rief:
    Come on and rock me Amadeus

Er war Superstar
    Er war populär
    Er war so exaltiert
    Because er hatte Flair
    Er war ein Virtuose
    War ein Rockidol
    Und alles rief:
    Come on and rock me Amadeus

Amadeus Amadeus, Amadeus
    Amadeus Amadeus, Amadeus
    Amadeus Amadeus, oh oh oh Amadeus

80506949-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Folks:

thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I did, and apparantly you haven't been willing to take any of it.

well it is only tuesday.

:devbobo