Options

Canon G9 - Is it good or bad ?

GrissomGrissom Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited October 28, 2007 in Cameras
Any of you out there purchase and use the new G9 and if so what are your thoughts on it. I have been reading mixed reviews on www.dpreview.com and www.mycanong7.com. The guy at mycanong7 site actually returned the camera to the dealer and decided to stay with his G7, stating he would not recommend the camera. I did purchase it (got a good deal), however I have not opened the box yet as there is a 15% restocking fee if opened and I have a week left to make up my mind. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Really? I heard that the G7 lacked the RAW, while g9 reincorporated RAW. Well I don't use the G9, but I have used the G5 for a while.

I usually go by dpreview for my camera research..
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Really? I heard that the G7 lacked the RAW, while g9 reincorporated RAW. Well I don't use the G9, but I have used the G5 for a while.

I usually go by dpreview for my camera research..

Actually dpreview has not done a review on this camera yet, but users are posting their opinons.
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Have you seen this thread?:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71005
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited October 20, 2007
    Did you see this discussion thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72312
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Grissom wrote:
    Actually dpreview has not done a review on this camera yet, but users are posting their opinons.

DPreview has done a review on this camera. For some reason, there is no link to it from the list of cameras it has reviewed.

I have the camera and I like it. I am learning how to use the camera in manual mode.

It does great outside. As with a non-DSLR camera, it does not do well in low light without a flash.

I have gotten some filters and tripod to use with it.

Kristi
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    salazar wrote:

Yes I have already seen both the threads that you and Ziggy linked. I am wondering after all the "newness" or hype if those that have had them for a month or more still like the camera. Didn't "z 28" have one for sale not long after getting it?

Thanks
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I have both the G7 and the G9 and I love them both.

I have a slight preference for the G9. I use it primarily for snapshots, and it's great for that.

I want to use raw on the G9, but am waiting for it to be added to Lightroom.
    I may be waiting a while.
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I gave my G7 to my BF and I upgraded to G9 so I could shoot in RAW. I love it! I has great picture quality and it's small enough for me to keep it with me all the time. (My XTi gear is getting heavy!).
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007
    I took a G9 along with me on my road trip through North Carolina and Alabama last week. I also carried a 5D as well. I have photos from both cameras here

See if you can tell, without looking, which were G9, and which were a 5D. If you like any of the photos, please leave a comment in my gallery as well so I know what you think about them. If you are allergic to motorcycles, do not bother to go to the linkeek7.gif:D

My previous P&S was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1. The G9 is larger, but the images have less noise. I shoot both P&Ss in Manual, or Av mode only ( there may be rare exceptions when I shoot in P because I am in a hurry due to rapidly changing light or situations, but this is the exception.) I am still learning to use the G9 fluidly - not all the controls are as intuitive as I would like, but they are there. One of my reasons for choosing the G9, other than manual mode and RAW, is the ability to make full use of the EOS flash system including the ST-E2.thumb.gif

Hint - many of the close ups were done with the G9, but not all. They were all shot as RAW at ISO 100 with the G9. The 5D may have ISOs of 200 to 800 or so.

This was shot with a G9thumb.gif

210583914-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I bought a last week G9 after reading this review:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2007/09/canon-g9-revi-1.html

While its primary role is to be my wife's camera, I decided to get a P&S that I will use at times too. After playing with it for a couple hours I like it, but I am still not ready to leave the 5D at home.

Some initial thoughts:

The LCD is very, very nice.

The feature set is rich and much more accessible than earlier P&S cameras I have used. After just a couple hours reading the manual and toying with the camera, I know enough to use it effectively.

It's got what you need to take good pictures.

So far I have only shot JPEGs (I'll shoot RAW when Lightroom supports it), but the custom white balance is easy to use and effective, so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Manual mode with a live histogram works quite nicely.

Face detection is effective enough to be useful.

So far I find that controls on the small camera are functional but a bit fiddly. Hopefully when I have been shooting with it for a while it'll get smoother.

The movies look quite good.

I haven't delved into the various scene styles. I shoot almost exclusively in manual mode on the 5D and I expect I'll mostly do the same with the G9.

Shooting in B&W with the gorgeous display is sweet. I can see shooting a lot of B&W with the G9.

After 30 years of shooting 35mm, I think in 2:3 aspect ratio. So far I am finding the 4:3 aspect to be a bit awkward.

Shallow depth of field is a big part of my shooting style. Mostly for snaps the image quality from the G9 is good enough, but I miss the blurred backgrounds of the 135/2 on my 5D.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    I agree with almost everything you said about the G9, LAir. I am still learnings its little intricacies. But the basic Av and M modes are easy to latch onto quickly. I am not sure I will find great use for manual focus mode yet though.

Interestingly, one of the things I really like about it, is the extreme depth of field available with the smaller sensor ( compared to a full sized 35mm sensor ) - this is great for macros, and close ups where you want more DOF.

I shoot with a 5D for shallow DOF, but may use a G9 for those subjects that can profit from greater DOF ne_nau.gif

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interestingly, one of the things I really like about it, is the extreme depth of field available with the smaller sensor ( compared to a full sized 35mm sensor ) - this is great for macros, and close ups where you want more DOF.
    Care to make any specific comments on the macro capability, or have any good samples of your own? I find myself a bit letdown by the macro ability of my latest Canon P&S...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am not sure I will find great use for manual focus mode yet though.

Manual focus might be handy for macro shooting. Set the focus to the near limit and move the camera. That's the only use I can think of for it. The auto focus works quite well for everything I have thrown at it so far.

I shoot with a 5D for shallow DOF, but may use a G9 for those subjects that can profit from greater DOF ne_nau.gif

Mostly I intend to use the G9 for candid which is where I like the shallow DoF. That said, I can certainly see grabbing the G9 in situations where I don't have enough DoF on the 5D.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Care to make any specific comments on the macro capability, or have any good samples of your own? I find myself a bit letdown by the macro ability of my latest Canon P&S...

Doc,
    This is NOT a macro - but check the DOF at f3.5 - from the front tire to behind the engine. Not a great photo - but my first bike was a CB450, so a worthwhile memory:D

210545148-L.jpg

Not a macro, but certainly a nice close up - this is about 3 inches in diameter I believe

210545722-L.jpg

And a tank badge

210544795-L.jpg

Note - all of these were ISO 200 - check out the noise levelsiloveyou.gif

• Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Here is a macro I took with my G9 during the shootout while visiting Canada. I have been pleased with my G9, have not tried too much with raw files yet.

Jeremy

204403420-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Doc,
    This is NOT a macro - but check the DOF at f3.5 - from the front tire to behind the engine. Not a great photo - but my first bike was a CB450, so a worthwhile memory:D
    Gorgeous stuff. Makes me wonder why I bother packing a DSLR on motorcycle trips, when nearly pocket-sized cameras like the G9 exist.

thanks thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Makes me wonder why I bother packing a DSLR on motorcycle trips, when nearly pocket-sized cameras like the G9 exist.

thanks thumb.gif

nod.gif

I pack my S5 IS in the tank bag.

Stop, kill motor, flip up helmet, grab camera, shoot, back in tank bag, ride on.
  • Options
    Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    How is the focus speed? Fast enough to catch action?
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Short answer - no.

You can manually pre-focus, but I would not think of this as a sports shooter's first choice. It is not slow for a P&S, but it is not a 1DMklll either.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Short answer - no.

You can manually pre-focus, but I would not think of this as a sports shooter's first choice. It is not slow for a P&S, but it is not a 1DMklll either.
    Certainly not, I may have preloaded that question...

Fast enough for kids or dogs?

Faster than a Canon SDxxx or other recent P&S? My last prosumer was a Pro1, and it wasn't particularly rapid and I never replaced that camera. This is a similar focal length, so I'm considering it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Canon G9 - Is it good or bad ?

I don't know it yet headscratch.gif
    More tests are required, at this time my "Old" faithful A95 is very close and three times cheaper.
    Let's take few more shots.

D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    All cameras are good for somethingmwink.gif

Some are better than other for specific tasks.

With 12 Mpxls, and a sharp lens, RAW ability, Manual, and the ability to accept the EOS flash system including the ST-E2, the 580 ex, or a Pocket Wizard and studio strobes, I think it is pretty darn good.

It is bigger and significantly heavier than my Lumix DMC-LX1, but the files are probably cleaner and more capable of enlargement. The controls are not as easy to use as a 40D, but manageable without wearing gloves. I would prefer a wrist strap to the provided neck strap. The 3" LCD is very nice.

I have not shot a bunch of candids with kids and dogs, so I am not sure whether it will AF fast enough to please everyone. I suspect that it will do pretty good, as it is definitely faster than my G5 at AF. But with a remote flash in the corner of the room, it will do pretty good I suspect.
    If you were unhappy with the Pro1, I would suggest a test run with the G9 in a store before purchase. I do not want to mislead anyone about its capabilities. Access to the EOS flash system and RAW was a big part of decision making.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have not shot a bunch of candids with kids and dogs, so I am not sure whether it will AF fast enough to please everyone. I suspect that it will do pretty good, as it is definitely faster than my G5 at AF. But with a remote flash in the corner of the room, it will do pretty good I suspect.
    If you were unhappy with the Pro1, I would suggest a test run with the G9 in a store before purchase. I do not want to mislead anyone about its capabilities. Access to the EOS flash system and RAW was a big part of decision making.

My local Circuit City has one, but has not located the power cords in the past three weeks, so it's a static display. Frustrating. They'd probably have sold one to me if they could find a five dollar cord. Why they will not go get the battery and charger to allow me a test drive is something I'll never know...

I'll head to the local photography supplier and check it out, he likely has one.

Wish Nikon made this same camera, I have some money invested in Nikon flashes... Would be nice if they'd come up with a camera in this market.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    On macros:

The highest magnification is at the wide end of the lens and it focuses close enough for small flowers and large bugs. However, the lens is about 1/2 inch from the subject, so camera shadow is a major issue.

On moving targets:

The G9 has a continuous focusing mode (similar to AI Servo) as well as continuous face tracking, so it is pretty good for taking pictures of moving targets. In fact, if your are tracking a moving face, it is in many ways better than an SLR because the focus point automatically follows the face.
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    I've invested in some additional things for my G9 like adapters so I can use filters and a polarizer. I bought a set of Hoya macro lenses, which I haven't used yet. You can do so much more with the camera if you get stuff beyond the basic camera. My next purchases will be both a wide-angle and telephoto lens and the Speedlite 430EX external flash. So far, I have bought my adapters and and other accessories from Lensmate. I like their adapters since they are aluminum not plastic. Also, invest in a tripod. I bought a SLIK tripod for $90 and I am happy with it.

Kristi
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    dpreview has their review of the G9 here

They gave it a Highly Recommended, but just barely. They wanted a bigger sensor in a P&S!! Well guess, what, we are all waiting for the first manufacturer to offer a real range finder camera with an APS sensor in its belly - other than the Leica. The ability to use Leica lenses would be a plus alsoclap.gif

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    They wanted a bigger sensor in a P&S!!

I didn't read it that way, although maybe that's what they meant. I read it as 12 megapixels was completely unnecessary, meaning the sensor size isn't the real problem, the pixel size is. But I could be reading my own complaint into it. I wanted 6 to 8 much less noisy megapixels, not 12 noisy megapixels.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I didn't read it that way, although maybe that's what they meant. I read it as 12 megapixels was completely unnecessary, meaning the sensor size isn't the real problem, the pixel size is. But I could be reading my own complaint into it. I wanted 6 to 8 much less noisy megapixels, not 12 noisy megapixels.

I suspect that if you denoise a 12MP image and then scale it to 6MP you will reasonably clean result. One of the things I plan to test when I get a chance is how clean the 8MP and 5MP modes on the camera are.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. If you have 8, 10, or 12 Mpxls on an APS sensor, they are larger and much quieter due to the larger sensor and larger pixel wells. To get 40D files from a smaller, cheaper range finder would be very, very coolthumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    I was hoping that article would clear it up for me, but not quite... if, for example, you don't much care about RAW files or wireless flash, could you save some money by picking up a lightly used G7? The glass is the same, which is what I'd care most about. The sensor, it's smaller, but can't find much to say whether the sensor, besides gaining a couple mp has really "improved". any comments, welcome ear.gif
    Erik